Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:35 am

I can usually detect sarcasm or facetiousness, but I do miss it on occasion, or there will at least be some doubt as to how I should interpret something. My brother does a good job at deadpan sarcasm/facetiousness in that I sometimes can't tell how to take it; with him, I usually just assume that he's joking. Also, I can be gullible, and I might not be able to tell that you're trying to fool me, especially if something seems plausible at first glance.

As for jokes, I am often slow to get them, and when I do, I might not think they're all that funny. So my response is a little like this:

oh...Oh!

Quote:
I have a hard time with pictures that represent an analogy or a saying. The other day I saw a picture of some "buns in an oven" on facebook. This was obvious to others, the girl posting it were pregnant, but to me it was just some bread beeing prepared. It took me 20-30 seconds to get the joke / meaning, while asking my wife what it meant.

Yeah, I think I would have gotten that one if there were, say, an ultrasound picture to go along with it, but without that context, I too would probably think of bread.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:08 pm

It takes me considerable time to realize something is a joke if I've never come across it, or a similar joking, before. It's exceptionally difficult for me to understand if someone is having fun at my expense until it's too late, which has been the case for so long that I'm always wondering now if that's what someone is doing. I'm better with sarcasm because I grew up in a family that was nonstop sarcastic, so I've learned the motions and patterns of typical sarcasm. I still miss it more often than I catch it though.

People notice, even people that are like me, and take advantage of it. I often feel stupid afterwards, hurt, and tend to slip back into hating people in general.

I am a Bookwyrm.