Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 5:27 pm

I was just curious if anyone else uses an RPN calculator. RPN stands for "Reverse Polish Notation" and is a little different than normal calculators are. I have an RPN calculator, and it's really nice because nobody else knows how to use it. Two years ago while in an introductory chem course, I started using my dad's old RPN calculator for my homework and found out that it worked faster for me. Now it's hard to use a "normal" calculator. Anyone else?

ed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 6:49 pm

RPN calculators rule! If you're doing a complicated formula, and you know how to solve it, they can't be beat.

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2005, 9:11 pm

When I was in college, I used RPN calculators almost exclusively. After graduating and not getting a job in the field I studied, I sold my RPN calc. I sure miss them, but just where can you even get one these days? Right now I am teaching myself to use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and it is still rough after three weeks, but I am confident that I can become faster on it than I was on Qwerty. I suppose after I learn how to type with Dvoark, it will no longer be available. Anyway, RPN rules, or at least used to rule.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 8:28 am

HP calculators: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... &aoid=1429

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2005, 8:48 am

Once I learned how to use an RPN calculator there was no turning back. I have two HPs at home (am at work now). Also I run XCalc on my Linux boxen, and I use the -rpn option. 8)

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 9:48 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone with my calculator choice. Mine is an HP-33, I think. It can also function in so-called "algebraic" mode, but it's always on RPN. It is a different way of thinking, but now I can hardly use a normal calculator. Normal calculators are for normal people. However, I am not normal. Therefore, normal calculators are not for me. ;)

burx
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2005, 12:58 am

Then, you are likely to love Forth as a programming language :) It also is RPN style and for those who love structural minimalism.

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2005, 11:25 am

Update on the calculators: I have an HP 48SX and an HP 49G. I love 'em, though of the two the 48 is probably more logical and better made.

I've never used Forth, but will check into it.

On computer languages, I prefer Awk, Python, and C. Awk is great for streamed data. Often I deal with files in the millions of lines, often text mixed with numbers. Awk is great for that! Python's modules are bloody outstanding, and the data structures are as important in programming as any commands. Unfortunately Python is so bloody f&#*ing slow, hence C. While a bit more onerous to program, C programs just run so fast. Finally, I prefer Linux as a computing environment. It allows my ideas to flow without interruption. And that too is why I like HP calculators. They allow my ideas to flow. :nerdy: