recommend a good first-person shooter?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:28 am

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 is a fantastic shooter in its own right, bonus points if you happen to like Star Wars as well. Also of course Half-Life is fantastic. In fact Jedi Knight was once named PC Gamer magazine's Greatest Game of All Time on one of their Top 50, but was dethroned by Half-Life the next time they did one.

Also System Shock 2 if you like a little RPG in your FPS, and just a downright creepy atmosphere.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2008, 2:53 pm

Warsow - it's not just a treaty anymore(and also the spelling has changed[there are no female cows in this game{moo}])

It's free and it's awesome (it's based heavily on Quake 3), but it's multiplayer only. If you want Single-Player, definitely go with Half-Life as others have said.

Drakeman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

I'll give two for each category.

For single player, I'd say Half Life and System Shock 2. Half Life is arguably THE best FPS ever, and System Shock 2 is vastly underrated and adds many neat elements to it that makes the game stand above the rest.

For multiplayer, you can never beat Counter-Strike. It's better than any of the Halo's IMO, and it still has a massive and fun community. Runner up here would be Alien vs. Predator 2. It got overlooked because of the pushed released date and the bugs it had in the original version, but now that it's all patched it up nicely, it's almost like a Starcraft FPS, and if you like the movies, you'll LOVE the game more than likely.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 7:34 pm

I would recommend both Thief and Thief 2 as they are great games and probably have very low system reqs now. They aren't really shooter, as you sneak around. Deus Ex is also very good and is more of a shooter than Thief. If you like shooters, get a Xbox 360 and besides Crysis you're all set.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:53 pm

Drakeman wrote:

For multiplayer, you can never beat Counter-Strike. It's better than any of the Halo's IMO, and it still has a massive and fun community.

Completely different FPSs, both of which have a pretty insipid community of idiots and lamers. Though gameplay wise I'd take Halo over Counter-Strike any day as it has much more variety than Counter-Strike's which even on maps with objectives always boils down to Last Man Standing as no one ever completes the objectives and just runs around shooting each other.

As far as multiplayer shooters goes, Starsiege: Tribes is still my favorite one of all time, though I think they took down the master servers for it but I'm sure the community has managed to work around that, I'm not sure as its been a while since I've played, and my computer refuses to run anything at the moment since the video card is almost completely dead and chokes on YouTube and sometimes animated banners...

viska
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 1:09 am

Deus Ex.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2008, 1:55 pm

Gunz.... my hand still hurts from that game. Somewhat of a steep learning curve ( K-Style and all that jaz). Still its an interesting game. Not graphicly demanding but not space invaders graphics.Gunz

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 3:00 pm

believe it or not, given that DF2 is nearly what, 10 years old? My computer can't play it. It just seems too old - the game, that is.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

I recommend any and all of the Metroid Prime games. Unlike some FPSs, they have a good storyline.

And, of course, the Halo games. I can't wait for Halo Wars!

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 8:11 pm

tmad40blue wrote:
I recommend any and all of the Metroid Prime games. Unlike some FPSs, they have a good storyline.

Except those aren't FPS's, at least the first two clearly aren't, the third is debatable(With it having a greater emphasis on shooting what with actually aiming with the Wii Remote, and a more linear game structure and less exploration). Just because its in first person and has guns, doesn't make it a FPS. If you go into Metroid Prime expecting a FPS, you'll be greatly disappointed. It doesn't control like one and doesn't play like one because it wasn't ever meant to be one. Its a First Person Action-Adventure game, not a Shooter. It has more in common with Zelda than it does with Halo.

And whats your computer doing on Jedi Knight? I've never had a problem running it in XP, and was surprised that a game that old actually supported widescreen resolutions.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

If you have a xbox you can buy half-life 2 but they have downsized some of the levels. you wouldn't notice unless you played it for the pc.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:24 pm

I had a look at warsow... didn't read the multiplayer bit .... that sucks.
(sigh)...

While we're all on this subject, I've got a PS2 (well, my kids have one - and they let me play it sometimes).

I miss doom, quake, duke nukem etc...

What is there for PS2?

I've found Wolfenstein - it seems ok, but not as simple as doom/quake etc..
I tried Quake 3 Arena but it isn't like Quake 1 and 2

I haven't tried half life - only became aware of it through this post - is it any good on the PS2?

Thanks ...

BTW: Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much..

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2008, 11:43 pm

eelektrik wrote:
Drakeman wrote:

For multiplayer, you can never beat Counter-Strike. It's better than any of the Halo's IMO, and it still has a massive and fun community.

Completely different FPSs, both of which have a pretty insipid community of idiots and lamers. Though gameplay wise I'd take Halo over Counter-Strike any day as it has much more variety than Counter-Strike's which even on maps with objectives always boils down to Last Man Standing as no one ever completes the objectives and just runs around shooting each other.

You'd like competitive CS, then. You get to play with people that actually know what they are doing and why at all times. It becomes akin to a simplistic and adrenaline-filled game of speed chess. Plus the learning curve is one of the hardest out there (referring to version 1.6), which is nice if you're on the higher ends of it.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2008, 12:03 am

gbollard wrote:
(sigh)...

While we're all on this subject, I've got a PS2 (well, my kids have one - and they let me play it sometimes).

What is there for PS2?

I haven't tried half life - only became aware of it through this post - is it any good on the PS2?

Thanks ...

Go to the "Steam Powered" website and click on "Get steam now" on the top of the screen:
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php

Then once you have it downloaded and installed, create an account real quick. Go to the steam store, and buy Half-Life for $10. It doesn't have steep system requirements at all. I'd recomend the PC version over the PS2 version.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2008, 12:22 am

hey nomad do you still play NS, if you do wat server u play on?

Im on australian servers if there is any, but i play on an american server called Guns4Back2School sometimes.

my name is The Disposed

I havn't been able to play for a few weeks though because my computer keep turning off and ive been to lazy to get it fixed, i will play again soon.

If anyone else has half life on steam go download NS from here - http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download/

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2008, 5:19 pm

gbollard wrote:
(sigh)...

What is there for PS2?

Thanks ...

Wadayamean yer miss em?

If you still have your old IWADs get over to ZDoom or ZDaemon :twisted: