Hm. Angry girl at school (Typical NT response?)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Is her response typical NT?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2008, 8:47 am

This girl is mad at me because I told her I was against a cure for autism. As an Aspie I think it would probably have been forced on me as a child and now I see it is part of my personality. I don't think I would want it cured. It is a critical part of who I am.

Anyways. I just told her I have Aspergers and that my angle was a little bit different. She got angry again. Is this a typical NT respose? Or is she the most unusual type of NT?

I am not sure what she is angry about. So if someone could clue me in on this. I used a whole lot of things I had read on these forums to help me think uip an apology... Myabe I just failed. xD

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 9:15 am

My only advice would be to ask her what exactly she is angry about. It could be everything, from a personal experience (knowing someone with an ASD?) to a simple opinion, a misinformation (ASD means suffering, AS isn't autistic enough, AS isn't real...) or it may just be about something else you said in that conversation and not about AS.

As it is, from what you have written, I can only imagine and that's not at all accurate and more like guessing.

Do you want to apologise/persuade her to tell you why she is angry? Talk to her, say you know that she is angry, say you don't want her to be angry about something you said in the conversation/it was not your intention to make her angry and ask what it was that you said that she disagreed about, because you want to clear the issue and not to make her mad.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2008, 10:42 am

I don't think you'll get a "typical NT response." Neurotypical people come with a great many different types of personalities and views. It's not an unusual view to take, but I don't know that it would be "typical". NTs disagree on these things as much as people on the spectrum do.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:53 am

I think she's just got issues. I don't really enjoy having AS because I have a hard time socializing but that's just me. I don't think it's just an NT thing, I've also come across aspies who also can't respect another's view. I think you'll find that anywhere.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:02 am

It's really just typical ignorance, not NT personality. You have no reason to apologise to that little princess. You didn't do anything wrong, and you don't owe her anything. All you did was share info, and part of your oppinion. Nobody agrees on everything. She appears to be just a tad imature. You know, her getting mad just because you told her you have it.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2008, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Do you want to apologise/persuade her to tell you why she is angry?
Actually I was apologizing when she got angry... Because the initial discussion had made her angry. I am trying to figure out why she is angry again.

The stuff about how there is no typical response makes me want to (even more) lock myself up in my room and never see anyone ever again. I hate sorting through everything. The time I spend trying to figure out everything in the evening is time I could be sleeping.

Bleh. Okay, thanks everyone. more ideas are always helpful.