Are there some tale-tell signs of AS that fade with age?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 10:31 am

It can go either way.

Problems might lesson with age because older Aspies have better learned how people and the world works, realize that it is not realistic to be too self indulgent, and are better at emulating normalcy almost to the point of it being natural. Children of all neurotypes tend to be more emotionally driven and act more like their natural self without thinking about it.

Or maybe things will worsen with age because with adulthood comes additional responsibilities and potential stress factors.

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 3:16 pm

Detren wrote:
My son seems to have a delay from hearing a question to answering. (I think he is repeating the question in his head first.) I am reminded of a couple things from when I was younger that might be similar for me. Like my mom always yelling at me to quit saying "what", when i knew what she had said. (but when I said what I really didn't know what she had said. It just took long enough for me to say "what" for it to sink in.) I also remember my swimming class teacher praising me for taking such care to "think carefully" of my answer before I would say "yes, I can do that." I will have to ask my husband if I still do this, I guess. (Didn't even realize it was there until thinking about the "noted delay" to my son's responses on her chart.) He seems to have a 3-5 second delay, then will give a minimal of a literal "yes", "no", or "I just don't know the answer to that." answer. Although hours later, or the next day he will spontaneously bring up the subject and a more detailed answer might come. (He hears a lot more than he lets on at the time. haha.)

I have a delay before answering a question. Sometimes in the hallways at school, someone will say hi to me, and by the time that I answer him/her, he/she is already gone.