Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lugna_en
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2008, 10:25 pm

I know teaching is a little different but I have been working as a care provider for special needs adults for about 5 years now. I think it can be rewarding, and it can teach you alot about yourself and your own traits. On the opposite side it can be a very testing and challenging job. It has taken me awhile to learn to take on the social aspect of the job, I am doing much better than I used to at this as I used to come home and obsess on work. Now I can leave my two lives separate.

I think it takes a lot of patience as special needs children can be challenging to work with, as anyone can be.

I had a HFA friend who got her education para-pro, she said that it can be quite challenging as the kids she worked with would like to test her.

My best suggestion, reasearch! Get books on teaching, see if you can volunteer anywhere like an equestrian therapy ranch. Good luck!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:34 pm

Yes autistics can work with autistics very much so. I work with them alll the time. I even help run the autism carnival every april at my hospital. I love it, i love the kids, I plan to get a my sign language degree and teach nonverbal autistics sign the way i learned. So don't ever doubt cause your autistic, cant work with them, thats not true.