Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 10:08 pm

Has anyone experianced this. My AS son has a fear of toothpaste. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this behavior? It is not so bad we can't get his teeth brushed he just can't do it himself.

Thanks,
Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 10:42 pm

personally, i have always hated the taste and smell of toothpaste. even though i have been brushing my teeth everyday since i was four years old i've never got used to it. the flavour is so strong it makes my mouth feel like it's burning. another thing i dislike about it is it's texture- it's sticky with barely detectable gritty bits in it.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 10:45 pm

I do not The taste of most toothpastes. Hence I don't really like even brushing them. Don't even like going to the dentist and I am 42.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 11:31 pm

Fear isn't the right word for me...intense and overwhelming dislike is.

They are way too strongly flavored, especially the common brands which are found in most grocery stores. They burn intensely. I don't know how people can stand it, or why they buy the stuff that tastes so bad! I either use plain water with no toothpaste, or a brand that I can stand. Health food stores carry at kleast two brands- Tom's of Maine and Nature's Gate, which come in flavors that are not hot. I like the anise flavor, and there are others that aren't HOT. In general, avoid mint or cinnamon or anything name brand commonly found on grocery store shelves.

You should take your son with you to pick teh flavor out. Also, the Peelu toothpaste is tolerable- it's pretty bland and doesn't foam up and leave one with a mouthful of burning frothing stuff. In fact, all the brands I've mentioned don't foam very much.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 8:08 am

I'm not a parent, but when I was little I hated brushing my teeth. In fact, I would do it without toothpaste, just so that I could tell my parents that I had brushed them. Most of the time, the flavour was too strong for me to handle. The toothpaste that I use now is the Crest clean mint/smooth mint. It has a little bit of a softer, but still minty taste and it's also spearmint, rather than peppermint (which tends to taste stronger to me).

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 8:12 am

Thank you,
Amazingly I did not think of the taste or texture problem. My son and I will go on a shopping trip. Thanks chamoisee for the suggestions of types to try that really helps.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 8:30 am

Good Lord yes!

The only toothpaste my son will use is Tom's of Maine. Until just recently it was carried at the local grocery.

BeeBee