Computer Engineering*
Computer Science
Counseling*†
Criminology
Digital Art*
General Science
Information and Communications Technology*
Media Studies
Multimedia Production and Design* (Audio-Visual Production)
Natural and Applied Sciences†
Nature Tourism*
Nursing
Pre-veterinary science*
Recreation and Leisure Studies
Social Science
Social Work
Sociology

Those are what I'm interested in between two schools that I have immediate access to. If you see something that you know something about, please let me know along with what the actual work (in the job) entails and how much it pays (ballpark)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 9:02 pm

What are you interested in? Jobs in computer science/computer engineering pay well. I would say that Biology is always the best thing to study, but to get a real job in that field you usually need an advanced degree.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

oh, I forgot to mention, those are the majors of what they have that I'm interested in. :oops:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:08 pm

digger1 wrote:
oh, I forgot to mention, those are the majors of what they have that I'm interested in. :oops:

Nice. Nothing wrong with eclecticism. What do the asterisks and plus signs signify?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:12 pm

They used to have a bachelors in liberal studies, back in the day. It wasn't any particular discipline, but I majored in business...so what do I know?

One thing I'm pretty sure is that you'll take probably the '101-level' courses in a lot of these no matter what your field winds up being. For example, it only took 2 semesters of accounting to persuade me I'd never be an accountant...;)

Now, the real trick is to major in something they won't have enough of 4 years from now. If it's a hot field now, in 4 years there will be an oversupply. I've heard nuclear science is a possibility; most of the nuke workers will be retiring in a few years (that goes for a lot of fields, find something that the average age of the workers is climbing up towards my end...;)

good luck.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
What do the asterisks and plus signs signify?

Transfers only, Concentrations, minors, or programs, other campuses than the home campus.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:35 pm

Computer Science -- jobs that are good for people lacking social skills
Computer Engineering* -- see aboveyou would likely be qualified for some of the CS jobs, but keep in mind that electronics and computer production has moved to Asia, and the engineering work on computers is in the process of migrating there.
Social Work -- jobs in the social work field are not that uncommon. you could work in a psych ward with this degree (i have no idea what they do there other than what i've seen in movies), if you liked it.
Sociology -- (see above)
Biotechnology -- you could work in a hospital on medical equipment with this degree and make up to 100,000 a year. as a biomedical engineer you might be able to do more design work for the manufacturers of such equipment. i was in a two year biomedical tech program until i decided i want to go on and finish a four year degree in something less icky. it's mostly electronics and hydraulic parts that you work on. one thing about it that my instructor disliked was that there was blood involved, meaning you could be exposed to staph infections and other biohazards that are a major problem in hospitals.

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2008, 2:44 pm

In regards to archaeology, most programs at the BA level train you via anthropology. So, you will be trained more broadly as an anthropologist.

Job opportunities for archies, outside of grad school and academic careers mostly involve Cultural Resource Management and contract excavation. Actually, the vast majority of available jobs for trained archies involve these latter trajectories.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 3:27 pm

Regardless of individual college curriculums, there's really no "pre-veterinary science" degree. Just like with pre-med, you can major in anything you like as long as you fulfill the requirements for the particular school (though they are mostly the same, a year of biology, a year of chem, a year of organic chem, a year of math, and a year of English). So you could major in anything without limiting yourself, though with a science major (especially bio/biochem) you could more easily accomplish them without veering from your major.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 6:14 pm

im in neuroscience (switched from marine biology once i discovered AS, lol)

even bio tech jobs pay fairly nicely....

but be prepared for long hours in the lab! i live in my lab lol

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 10:31 pm

Sedaka wrote:

Lol

I'm education major with history which limits me to the educational field or the working in the government.

Master's Degree needed to be a secondary history teacher or a professor.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 7:40 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Sedaka wrote:

Lol

I'm education major with history which limits me to the educational field or the working in the government.

Master's Degree needed to be a secondary history teacher or a professor.

i wouldnt mind getting a teaching degree as i enjoy teaching. sadly, even when i finish my phd.... that won't qualify me to teach anyone other than college hoodlums!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2008, 1:36 am

Orwell wrote:
What are you interested in? Jobs in computer science/computer engineering pay well. I would say that Biology is always the best thing to study, but to get a real job in that field you usually need an advanced degree.

I second that, as my BS is in general biology. It's a major that leads to grad. school before a job. I'd say go for computer science, biotechnology, or biochemistry. Those will lead straight to a well-paying job. Heck, even an AS in those fields will land you somewhere decent fairly quickly (should you decide that you hate college). Also, in those fields your academic skills tend to far outweigh your social skills in terms of value to potential employers. Have you considered bioinformatics? It's kind of a cross between comp. sci. and biotech.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 2:34 pm

gypsyRN wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I second that, as my BS is in general biology. It's a major that leads to grad. school before a job. I'd say go for computer science, biotechnology, or biochemistry. Those will lead straight to a well-paying job. Heck, even an AS in those fields will land you somewhere decent fairly quickly (should you decide that you hate college). Also, in those fields your academic skills tend to far outweigh your social skills in terms of value to potential employers. Have you considered bioinformatics? It's kind of a cross between comp. sci. and biotech.

I may actually do both. I'm a biology major considering a double-major in Computer Science. I may go to graduate school to study theoretical biology, synthetic biology, or artificial intelligence. I'm still thinking, though.