Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2008, 12:26 pm

You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. an Ultra 10 or even better a SunBlade 100 would be farily cheap and not much more to ship than similar equipment. those two are old and slow though. (not that my 2000 is very new either but its lightyears ahead of the ultra 10 or blade 100) but if you want to play with sun hardware its not a bad place to start. another idea would be to get one of the Netra servers either a T1 or perhaps a SunFire V100. they are tiny 1U rackmount SPARC boxes. I currently run my webserver on a little Netra T1.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 5:57 am

Hey,

The killer is postage though... i looked up the ones you mentioned... one quoted $400+ to send to Australia!

Few sellers of Sun hardware boxes will post cos of the cost of doing so...

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2008, 8:51 pm

Sorry I assumed you were in the US.

Another option would be to find Sun resellers in your country and see if they have any end of life Sun hardware in stock that they could sell you cheap. I got my most recent Sun from a reseller as a pretty decent price. I'm sure you could pick up a Blade 100 fairly cheap if you could find a local company that stocks sun kit. good luck.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:59 am

:bounce: ^Bump^ :bounce:
A very interesting subject, I read on Slashdot the other day, on the old TRS-80 Model 100, I had found a couple of them once at a Value Village and considered getting them, sort of kicking myself now for not getting them, $3.00 for each of them. they also had a box full of peripherals, like bar code scanners
http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?s ... 03/1653237
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,146496/article.html#

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2008, 5:41 pm

I buy crap at yard sales and make it work, but not very old stuff, just windows 9x series. im trying to find a 3.x computer though, werw should i find this

kip
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:07 pm

If you consider retro to be these old 233/266 Imacs I'm collecting, then yea.

Course one of the buggers has some sort of screen problem. It's really irritating, cause he's rare!

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:48 am

(Old thread but the only one on the subject)

Got a C64 and a C64 mk II, haven't checked in the health of those since i last used them (sometime in the 1980s).

Purchased a C128D from a coworker in the late 90's, i prepared that for storage at least. Still haven't found any CP/M disks to try it out (main reason was to try that out, the C64/C128 i have played with for a substantional amount of time).

Started out with a Kickstart 1.2 Amiga 500, then i got a A1200/HD which i sold. Then i bought a A1200/030 in the early 2000. It's still in good shape, but i cant even begin to remember where i put the powersupply for it. I tested it out a few years ago, and the video output worked perfectly on my projector, was quite cool to see the Amiga display on a wall.

Purchased a USB "floppy" drive + CF card HD replacement to go with the A1200 about 2 months ago, but i haven't gotten around to attaching those just yet. Will be a later project when my energy returns.

Have thought of doing retrobright on all older boxes, but i found out recently that there are replacement boxes you can buy which are UV resistant and does not yellow over time. Just hope they produce some more and for the C64/C128D as well, those are starting to become yellow as well (except for my black C64 that i modded with a few things in my youth).

Hoping to find a Vic 20 some day, most of the ones i see are sold the same second they are put up for sale, it's the first computer i ever had and i'd love to have one again some day.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:18 am

If you're into old computers you will love this YouTube channel. It's one of my favourites. He has a collection of all sorts of retro computers and peripherals and does videos on how he restores them.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:49 pm

Thanks, will check out the channel later on.

I usually watch these channels:

Dan Wood/kookytech.net - X-Copy and Piracy on The Commodore Amiga

Lazy game reviews - Building a New 2017 PC into an Altair 8800 Clone!

RetroManCave - VAXStation Restoration

(The last guy i started viewing today actually.)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

Cool thanks.

I'm most nostalgic for the Atari ST. Most of the games I played were freebies my Dad got with the Atari ST magazine. I remember if he did buy a proper game he's copy it and make us use the copied disk.

Most of my friends at school were more into Nintendo and Sega so there was no game swapping on the playground that I was aware of.

I remember being shocked that Sega games cost between £40 - £60.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:54 pm

I used to do this, but I don't have the space for projects anymore. I used to have a 90s small business server someone let me have and I'd try running different versions of Linux or FreeBSD on it.

Another retro computing interest I have is BBSes and would like to try setting one up just for fun.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

I love retro computers! They are the best! :D

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 24, 2017)

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2017, 9:35 pm

I'd love to get my hands on an NEC PC98 and Commodore 128.

bigbadbeast2018
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2017, 7:31 am

Not exactly retro computing but I have cartridges and retro game consoles