Myths about the so-called "Friend Zone"

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

viska
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 11:17 pm

*Boggle at this thread*

Quote:
Do men and women meet, hit it off and start dating almost immediately? Sure, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

My experience (in my life and from what I know of my friends') is completely backwards from what you wrote. The general pattern is: You meet someone new, there's the flirty stage for a while, then you go out on a few informal 'dates', you have sex relatively early in the relationship, and THEN you begin to learn a lot about your partner.

I don't know of a lot of "We were close friends for 6mos / 1year+ / whatever, and then we decided to start going out." It happened in high school, but I personally don't know any couples that developed like this in college or post-college.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm

Oh, and that's not to say I disagree with the myths. I definitely agree with the OP except for the part that I quoted.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 11:53 pm

I agree that the "friend zone" is not inescapable, but I think this depends on the individual. Personally, I'm more often attracted to friends or friends of friends than strangers. All of my relationships have started as friendships. One developed from a 5 year long friendship.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:00 am

viska wrote:
*Boggle at this thread*

Quote:
Do men and women meet, hit it off and start dating almost immediately? Sure, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

My experience (in my life and from what I know of my friends') is completely backwards from what you wrote. The general pattern is: You meet someone new, there's the flirty stage for a while, then you go out on a few informal 'dates', you have sex relatively early in the relationship, and THEN you begin to learn a lot about your partner.

I don't know of a lot of "We were close friends for 6mos / 1year+ / whatever, and then we decided to start going out." It happened in high school, but I personally don't know any couples that developed like this in college or post-college.

I think there's a difference between being in a serious relationship and playing the dating game, and it sounds like you're doing the latter. While I'm sure this has led to some success stories, most people do it more as a routine, and sex or excitement is the objective. You're not likely to find a partner this way unless you have really simple tastes, and of course most Aspies are the opposite.

Hanwag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2008, 5:16 am

My personal experience does actually follow the friends-zone theory. I have been good friends with several girls/women without ever getting involved with them. In some of the cases I wished it to be otherwise, in some other I did not mind. All the women who did have an interest in me (well, as far as I know; sometimes I can miss things) had so in a short time, around the second time I saw them. I am not saying your wrong ofcourse, but I can see where the theory comes from.

What I really agree with is your third point! I had some very constructive friendships among them. The connection I had with these women was different from what I had with some male friends. While sex is nice in my now 5 year relationship it's only a small part of it. The personal connection is more important. This is also a more important reason than the chance to meet other women through female friends. At least that never worked for me. What is important is that I learned a lot about women from having female friends and that made future friendships and relationships easier.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:10 am

Just putting my 3/4 of a cent in. I don't want to break the whole you can be friends first thing going on here I just have a personal experience with a girl with whom I had a big cruch on for like two semesters that ending last semester. I tried to be friends with her first and she really wasn't happy about that and just stopped talking to me for a couple days (jeez that happened on and off all the time last semester b/c I'm inexperienced and don't know the queues) b/c of my non explicit romantic advances, plus some girls the summer b4 also got put off by me not being all flirty or trying to get to date them right away, they tend to get upset about that even though we usually have fun and I'm really nice to them. Anyway none of that means you can't be friends first it just means if they like you or you like them that trying to be friends first may not be possible atleast thats seems to be my case.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 8:35 am

KingofKaboom wrote:
Just putting my 3/4 of a cent in. I don't want to break the whole you can be friends first thing going on here I just have a personal experience with a girl with whom I had a big cruch on for like two semesters that ending last semester. I tried to be friends with her first and she really wasn't happy about that and just stopped talking to me for a couple days (jeez that happened on and off all the time last semester b/c I'm inexperienced and don't know the queues) b/c of my non explicit romantic advances, plus some girls the summer b4 also got put off by me not being all flirty or trying to get to date them right away, they tend to get upset about that even though we usually have fun and I'm really nice to them. Anyway none of that means you can't be friends first it just means if they like you or you like them that trying to be friends first may not be possible atleast thats seems to be my case.

:? How can you like someone without having been friends with them or at least knowing what they are like as a person?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Complex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2008, 9:16 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:

:? How can you like someone without having been friends with them or at least knowing what they are like as a person?

As I'm sure you know, men often let their genitals lead the way.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 11:57 am

Complex wrote:
Myth the first: "The Friend Zone" is a female only construct.
As a matter of fact, men have their own "Friend Zone." Find a girl unattractive? Friend Zone! Too heavy? Friend Zone! Wrong type? Friend Zone!

This makes it sound like men go around and tack figurative "Friend Zone" signs on the foreheads of women who are too ugly, fat, not right type, etc. I can't recall ever meeting a woman I wasn't romantically attracted to and then thinking to myself, "Ah-huh! It's the Friend Zone for her!" Usually if she turns out to be unattractive to me, I was never pursuing her romantically to begin with.

Complex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2008, 12:05 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Complex wrote:
Myth the first: "The Friend Zone" is a female only construct.
As a matter of fact, men have their own "Friend Zone." Find a girl unattractive? Friend Zone! Too heavy? Friend Zone! Wrong type? Friend Zone!

This makes it sound like men go around and tack figurative "Friend Zone" signs on the foreheads of women who are too ugly, fat, not right type, etc. I can't recall ever meeting a woman I wasn't romantically attracted to and then thinking to myself, "Ah-huh! It's the Friend Zone for her!" Usually if she turns out to be unattractive to me, I was never pursuing her romantically to begin with.

Well, I think many men place a woman "in the Friend Zone" if the woman makes her romantic interest clear first and the man finds her initially unattractive for whatever reason. Still, your point is well made.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 12:16 pm

Mine has been extremely mixed, and I've had a lot of female friends. Sometimes the friendship has started off with mostly friendship but moved into tons of flirty later on and then become semi serious only to end, in other cases it's been strictly friends and in the most recent case I have a female friend who flirts with me often and seems very serious.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

ashleynd92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2017, 1:03 pm

I have gotten used to being in the friendzone. I don't even know what it feels like to be out of it. I have dated three guys just because they were there and they were interested in me. I know that I shouldn't have done that. I just got tired of feeling invisible and was happy when some guy actually showed some interest in me.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 1:07 pm

ashleynd92 wrote:
I have gotten used to being in the friendzone. I don't even know what it feels like to be out of it. I have dated three guys just because they were there and they were interested in me. I know that I shouldn't have done that. I just got tired of feeling invisible and was happy when some guy actually showed some interest in me.

Lucky

ashleynd92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2017, 2:59 pm

Not really. I felt bad because the guys who I dated me really liked me and I didn't like them in the same way. I would rather be alone than be in a one sided relationship.

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2017, 3:09 pm

Is that a twinkie shirt?

I was obsessed with drawing that logo when I was in grade school, so you are clearly awesome!

:D

I have absolutely nothing to say about this thread, though . . .

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2017, 5:38 am

Me & my 1st girlfriend were good online friends a while before she started having feelings for me & told me she liked me. I wouldn't of considered a realtionship with her if we weren't good friends because I didn't have any interests in romantic relationships till I realized I liked her too. I haven't had luck but bad being friends with other women thou because they kept only seeing me as a friend. They complained to me about how they wish they could find guys who were more like me while never giving me a chance.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition