Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

barcncpt44
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2008, 11:31 am

I am having a tough time finding any work and then keeping the work. Whenever i get lucky enough to get a job it goes good for a month, then either i get fired for being clumsey like dropping food, parts, breaking equipment or i get hired in horrible working conditions that force me out. like an run down hotel, over 10 year old truck. I have had over 10 jobs in 2 years since i graduated high school. my grades are not good enough to get inot college without catching up, oh and buy the way i am over 400+ lbs. i have heard of schools like bevard center or cleinc but they cost alot and voc. rehab has not helped me a bit, if i can not find something my mom is threating to put me on the streets. i need some advice quick thnak you. 8O :cry:

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2008, 11:39 am

You say that you are only able to keep them for a little while, have you considered a temp agency? If you find a decent one the jobs are fairly steady, and the lengths of the jobs are shorter. Plus, if you are in a couple different fields it might show you which you are better suited for.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:04 pm

Have you considered going to a vocational school and learning a trade? Often these jobs are more in demand and do not require a college degree...you learn the trade through "hands on" experience.

Or check out your state employment office and see if they can assist you in finding a job you can do well and succeed at better
than your current job history.

Good luck!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 3:37 pm

How about a job as a flagman at a construction site? You can get paid to be a human traffic light. :D

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 10:11 pm

Obviously your weight is mitigating against you - it probably costs you jobs in interviews (even though they don't say it to your face). It may also be causing you to seem clumsy - or you may be naturally clumsy.

If you could try to deal with that in the long term, it might help you.

In the meantime, you need to look for jobs which don't put you at a disadvantage. Office work may be more suitable. Are you any good at numbers? I know it's boring, but finance/payroll type jobs in smaller companies might not be too bad. I'm sure you don't necessarily need a degree.

What are your interests? If you could get employment associated with them you'd probably find the work more agreeable.

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2008, 10:05 pm

Now are you, in fact, clumsy? Or were they just instances of lack-of-luck?

Because clumsy could be an issue. I was thinking that maybe a job in a library (nice indoor environment, shelving books or working circulation) but then I was horrified by the idea of the stacks falling over :(

But you can't break a book if you drop it.

You don't break books, do you? <33

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm

Depends how you drop it :)