Ever been so obsessed with something.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 5:11 pm

i wouldnt really say that i forget about other things, i just block em out, even if im really hungry or tired, ill just carry on with whatever it is im obsessed with.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

It's like a trance.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 6:16 pm

When I am researching a medical condition, I can spend hours, to the exclusion of eating, drinking, using the restroom or even changing my sitting position, on the computer browsing JAMA or eMedicine articles.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2008, 7:21 pm

Quote:
i wouldnt really say that i forget about other things, i just block em out, even if im really hungry or tired, ill just carry on with whatever it is im obsessed with.

That's me most of the time, but once it's blocked out I'll forget about it for a while. I do forget about time.

ArtisticAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2008, 7:36 pm

I forget about nearly everything when I get obsessed and focused on one thing. These past 5 days, I've been obsessed on this creative project. Now it has finished, my creativity is on strike and so is my focus. lol. Currently suffering through a 5 second attention span.

I didn't used to be good at remembering meals when suffering through this heightened state of focus, but I am a lot better these days, as food equals better focus. :D

AA

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2008, 8:53 pm

It is the return of the fixation problem that caused me to retire from school bus driving January 17, 2008. I realized that I was no longer able to split my attention between my driving and my kid-herding.

I was forced to start to watch time and break off of what I was doing after I returned from Europe in 1962. I got a job some 75 miles from home and had to car-pool. When I was the driver, things would get a little tense when I was not ready to leave with the others. When I was not the driver, I once got left behind. That had a lot to do with my deciding to alter my attention. :D

Pops

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:06 pm

If you want to know what a really strong obsession is really like,
take some LSD, ignore the body high and the visual extras,
and watch that mole hill turn into a mountain in your mind,
then try to just turn it off, I dare you.

God, I hate obsessing sometimes,
when you need to turn it off the most you cant.
the harder you try the worse it seems to get at times.
and it can really phuck things up when dealing with nerotypicals.

AToughCustomer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm

i also frequently fail to acknowledge basic needs such as hunger and exhaustion due to intense concentration

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:59 pm

I don't recall that happening to me.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm

I tend to go into a seizure-like state where I'm even less aware of non-visual stimuli than usual, and people say I look 'flushed'. It used to bother me, but now I like it because it's a sign that I'm actually really into something.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 6:59 am

And then you stand up and realize that your knees won't support you because you've been sitting waaay too long? Yeah, I'll a little familiar with that. lol

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 7:04 am

aspergian_mutant wrote:
and it can really phuck things up when dealing with nerotypicals.

Personally, my stuff gets worse just when I'm stressed in general . . .

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2008, 7:53 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
And then you stand up and realize that your knees won't support you because you've been sitting waaay too long? Yeah, I'll a little familiar with that. lol

Actually, yes.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2008, 9:40 am

ebec11 wrote:
TechnoMonk wrote:
Sometimes when i watch a movie, the movie ends and it feels like I've not seen the world for a very long time.

Happens with many other things actually, when I'm reading a book it just flows, I forget I'm even reading words.
That too :D People can't even speak to me when I'm reading because I'm so absorbed :P

I spent yesterday hearing people talk in Japanese after watching an entire Japanese drama series (500 minutes) in one sitting. That was weird. Whenever I couldn't quite make out what someone said, which is often, instead of the usual guess my brain comes up with it was coming up with Japanese words and phrases.

I also get super involved when reading something. In school the teacher gave up trying to get my attention when the next class would start because I would be reading. They would even skip over me when the class would take turns reading out loud. Anything short of actually touching me or the book went completely unnoticed. When I reached the end of a chapter I usually noticed that class had restarted and I just caught up to where everyone else was.
That got me in trouble a few times at the library. Mainly because I was working there and supposed to be putting the books away not reading them.