Why can't the unwritten rules of social play be written?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 12:58 pm

Share your thoughts.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 1:22 pm

Interesting thought. Perhaps it could be like a Code of Conduct.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm drafting an essay on Asperger's Syndrome, and while thinking about it I found it curious that whether an act "breaks the unwritten rules" is a judgment that requires absolutely no justification and may be used freely against any person one chooses. It appears to be little more than a fountain of intolerance and prejudice.

So, would "No Mikes Allowed" be an unwritten rule? How would I know?

Are the unwritten rules fixed or open to revision? What is a person diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome supposed to do when he's told that he breaks the unwritten rules?

Tell us what the unwritten rules are about.

Last edited by MikeH106 on 23 Mar 2008, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 1:54 pm

you're referring to the whole body language, nonverbal communication thing? so i guess it might be possible but it would be huge and convoluting as a text, for it seems to be filled with exceptions to rules and conditions what rules mean what in certain circumstances...
but then, there are basic parts of rules written out, usually in those articles on flirting.

if you are referring to the rules what is suitable/tolerable and what is not, i dont think there would be much sense in doing that. usually, its a kind of common judgmental concept, kind of like majority rule. its ever-changing, too, so chances are high that a full catalogue of rules would be outdated before its completed.
think of how fast fashion things change, what kind of clothes are "in" and what is undeniably yesterday and pathetic - i tend to think of those unwritten rules as similar..

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 1:56 pm

I think that would be great, if the there were written rules. I am a perfectionist, and would strive to be the most socially acceptable, person possible. I was always socially awkward, and had trouble picking up on things that NT's take for granted. I know this is only hypothetical but, yes, it would have been nice. :roll:

Those who know, don't speak.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:00 pm

I don’t think they can be written down. I get the feeling they would constantly change from one select group to another.

Some of the rules would contradict other rules, which would be perfectly ok by NT standards. :? I sense mass confusion!

Plus there's probably some unwritten rule somewhere about writing down the unwritten rules for those who don't understand the rules to begin with. It's a no-no. <-- J/K

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:07 pm

The rules of social conduct will never be written. The reason is that they are filth, and nobody wants the filth of society written in front of them. Who wants to see advertised that, for example:

-- In order to get ahead in life, you have to lie through your teeth. We call this "being diplomatic", "white lying", "being considerate of others' feelings", "saving people's hurt", and other euphemisms. All in all, it's just about saying what others want to hear and then surreptitiously doing whatever serves your interests no matter what you said.

-- What you look like is more important than who you really are. Cultivate the illusion you sell of yourself, not your soul.

-- To not feel alone, you have to belong, so cooperate with the consumer society we've created and make us rich: buy the latest cell phone with toilet and bath, get a mortgage for life, have children and spend lots on stuff for them so they can belong too. Cooperate with the interests of the powers that be, and the powers that be will give you an illusion of belonging and well-being. Moma will help you build the wall.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:13 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Share your thoughts.

Social play-by-play rules topic

I remember one forum where Greentea posted a video about how to give a hug, filed in jest but a step by step instruction that other members found useful. I will try to find it and get back to you.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2008, 2:56 pm

the social norm is something that comes naturally to non autistics. a lot of the stuff goes down to a psychological level, I think, and very few people outside of the medical profession have such an intricate grasp of psychology. On the Plus side I've seen several self help guides to Aspergers on Amazon, perhaps they can offer some insight.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:56 pm

there are hundreds of books written on every aspect of this. Miss Manners, Emily Post, etc., though old, etc., are mainly about problems people have with social situations. Some basic rules are there, but some are meant to be broken.

Fads, cliques, etc., also make their own rules. Different races, countries, and ages all have their own rules. Memorizing them is something most people would have a hard time with. Some of these groups will change their own rules if they suspect outsiders of 'learning' them.

I wish people came with instruction manuals too....;)

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 3:09 pm

In times when the world turned on manners (19th century England, classical Japan and China, and America's puritan era), it was. "The Rules" were catalogued obsessively. Social chaos may be the price we pay for freedom.