people tend to misread my emotions and body language.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 7:57 pm

people tend to think im angry when im afraid, or mad when im frustrated or annoyed. then tend to think im gonna hit them when get startled. does this happen to anyone hear where people misread you and think your something your not.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 8:48 pm

I understand how you feel exactly. I've been told that I'm very 'cold' and 'unnapproachable' in real life, and people often ask me if I'm in a bad mood when I feel just fine. My face stays the same regardless of what emotion I might be feeling, unless I'm really angry or really upset (and at that time I'm yelling and/or crying). Because I can only display extreme emotion, people often think I'm mean or b*tchy when I'm really not. People also think I should show more interest in them while they're talking, but that's hard for me to do. Most times I'm NOT interested in everyday chit-chat like what cute stuff their kids did or how adorable their dog looked in a photo. Everyday what-nots like that do not interest me and never have. It's already hard for me to show emotion as it is, let alone trying to feign interest. That's probably why I have no real friends, LOL.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 8:52 pm

Yeah, people misread my emotions constantly. Sometimes they get it right, most times they don't.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 9:23 pm

Yea people read my emotions and body language wrong alllllllllll the time.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 9:28 pm

People have asked what i'm smoking and if they can get some....

which i assume means i'm disconnected or something.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 9:28 pm

I love it when I'm thinking about a problem and someone asks me why I'm angry. Since I'm irritated at the interruption I can only say, "I wasn't". But then I smile.

Some day we will rule the world. After we work out all of the details. :wink:

AToughCustomer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2008, 11:37 pm

heh heh
people (especially my mom) think i'm angry and depressed all the time.

I'm pretty sure that (besides when i had the worst job ever) i have never actually been sad, and i'm never angry unless provoked to the max. i'm always so happy and content and mild mannered. my friends all agree that i'm very mild mannered and never really angry, but my mom will always put me into confusing situations i don't know how to respond to or take away my controllers or something for no reason and then ask me why i'm getting so angry.

there's nothing i hate more... but deep down i'm still happy and i still love her... i just can't express it under pressure...

but yeah i'm pretty sure all aspies have misleading emotional reads and body language.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2008, 1:45 am

Sometimes people look at me like there's a big, dark, thundercloud approaching...

MaterialDefender
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 2:12 am

Sometimes at work when when in a group of people talking, I zone out, and I get people asking if I am ok because I end up zoning out and end up in my own world, with a blank stare.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 6:57 pm

Happens to me all the time.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 7:10 pm

So confusing! Damien has a smile on his face alot of the time so naturally people think he is happy. WRONG!
Or he can look unhappy or mad when he is actually happy. I ask him how he is feeling instead of assuming most of the time.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

This seems to be a common issue for people on the spectrum. I've been told plenty of times I look angry/sad/serious/intimidating/scary. I've been told off for "scowling" and I didn't even know what scowling was at the time. I wasn't doing it intentionally, that's just my thinking face....which is what I'm doing ALL the time.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

I sometimes feel misread a lot too. Sometimes people think I'm sad when I'm tired and if I'm in a really bad mood some people treat me like I'm in a good mood. I've also heard people say that I give them weird looks when I don't intend to.

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2016, 6:21 pm

MumtoASDboy gets a gold star and a cookie for understanding that its important to ask with aspies instead of just assuming! People often think I misunderstand things when they explain them to me, I'm not sure what they're seeing (or not seeing) when they make this assumption. I think maybe its because I don't always verbally respond correctly or maybe my face isn't doing anything, or possibly not doing the right thing? I think this is why people underestimate me a great deal and assume I'm naive. It can be annoying but I think it also gives me an enormous advantage.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2016, 2:12 am

I saw my mum the other day and she said I often seem aggressive. Especially when talking quickly. In fairness I'm often very frustrated when talking to her but surely there's a difference between frustrated and aggressive? More positively she did note that it could be a 'communication issue'.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:05 am

I understand you perfectly. One thing that scares me to death is when people come up behind me and speak to me. It makes me jump out of my skin! People ask if I'm mad when, in reality, I'm scared! It takes me a while to get my heart rate down again.