Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 3:20 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I was asked once whether I was on SSI... :wink:

I don't even know how the system works...do people at the Social Security administration evaluate you?

I have impairment to a certain degree when it comes to holding jobs and whatnot...but i do not have much of a history of diagnosis....mostly for not being able to afford it.

http://www.aane.org/asperger_resources/ ... erger.html
Long article, but halfway down the page you'll find description of where to start on looking into issue. Should answer at least some of your questions. I had help applying, from a state Client Assistance Program (C.A.P.) employee, in filling out the forms. Am not stupid, just can't translate my life into the sort of clinical language/viewpoint the paperwork is seeking info. on.
http://www.vsarts.org/x630.xml
is link to guide for artists with disabilities-but if you scroll to bottom of page, click on 100 page pdf, "Appendices" (after Chapter 11)-it contains massive list of each state's C.A.P., VocRehab, Developmental Disability Agencies, etc. (First half is arts resources, but halfway through are the disability listings).

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 3:57 pm

Felinity wrote:
I've wondered if I were to get Social Security, would it label me for life? Would they require me to undergo forced counseling or treatments in order to keep getting the Social security?

Most Importantly, Would those "mental" conditions be listed with the local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. or be part of a background check? Also, if I wanted to emigrate to another country, would that data be available to them? is it part of the passport data?

If anyone knows the true privacy laws concerning social security, please let me know. I realize that these laws are currently changing and some attempts have been made recently to get "mental conditions" put on background checks.. That means any potential employer or local police officer could read about your info.. I don't like that idea..

If anyone knows, Please tell me any info. concerning Social Security privacy.

Thanks.

L

All I can say is that my ex-roommate has never had to undergo any sort of councelling or treatments to receive his check. It is my understanding that he is just not supposed to work above a certain income level to still receive his checks...His SSI might have expired by now, as he has a catering job with health insurance....However....I really think that he needs/needed SOME kind of councelling to help him manage his money and whatnot, as he was prone to squandering it somewhat frivolously back in the days when he was my roommate.
Also having been privy for many years to his conciderably serious mental problems, it is my opinion that he should have had some kind of case worker to help keep tabs on his mental health and how he was doing with his medication (or lack thereof)

As far as privacy, I really have no idea. It is on record someplace that he has been institutionalised off and on...and had been diagnosed/medicated from an early age...and that is what helped him get his SSI....I don't see how someone might be stigmatised or "punished by the system" for having been on social services, but I really don't know.

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 27 Mar 2008, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 3:58 pm

Belfast wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
I was asked once whether I was on SSI... :wink:

I don't even know how the system works...do people at the Social Security administration evaluate you?

I have impairment to a certain degree when it comes to holding jobs and whatnot...but i do not have much of a history of diagnosis....mostly for not being able to afford it.

http://www.aane.org/asperger_resources/ ... erger.html
Long article, but halfway down the page you'll find description of where to start on looking into issue. Should answer at least some of your questions. I had help applying, from a state Client Assistance Program (C.A.P.) employee, in filling out the forms. Am not stupid, just can't translate my life into the sort of clinical language/viewpoint the paperwork is seeking info. on.
http://www.vsarts.org/x630.xml
is link to guide for artists with disabilities-but if you scroll to bottom of page, click on 100 page pdf, "Appendices" (after Chapter 11)-it contains massive list of each state's C.A.P., VocRehab, Developmental Disability Agencies, etc. (First half is arts resources, but halfway through are the disability listings).

thanks for the info..I will look into it.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 1:26 am

The fact is about Social Security when come to applying for SSI

They 75% deny you unless you are blind. (This is the part that most people don't understand)

People think that the social security examiner are mostly "correct". When they aren't.

I know someone who were applied but she have cerabal palsy, how she got it probably because she was really out of the realm and was already taking medicine. This was based out of Georgia.

The question is why are they denying you?

The fact is that the government is try to lower their cost. They create a flawed system that allow people to wait. They know that most people with minor disability will bailed out dues to financial stress. Since waiting isn't illegal, government can practice that. Even if you filed for a distress dues to unpaid unpartment, the waiting period is too long! Most people will have to choose living in the street or in the home care of relative or Section 8.

Most text book answers will not tell you the right answer. This is why you should compares text book information to reality. Most of the time, reality is more important than text book information.

Most of the time I going to say this, there are alway text book answerer that going to argue with me. No matter who is right, the reality is more important than what the information show. If it better in Arizona to get SSI than Illinois then SO BE IT! Argueing that Illinois should have gave you the SSI because your state was easier is no place for argument.

On your repeal, you will get deny 50% again! After 6 months, they will deny you. They will create gibberish excuse of why they denied you. If you sweep the floor with a broom, they will unfairly say that you are able to do unskilled work. Some unskilled work are poorly paid (not enough meeting the rent) or non-paid hours. Surprise! Surprise! :(

You will now have chance to get a disability lawyer which is FREE but cost 25% or minumum flat fee if you decide to take this to the hearing judge.

The final stage is where the serious people divide from the non-serious people. This is what called the hearing stage. The hearing stage is 2 years long! Most people will get anxiety, fustration, and stress during this period. You will get insanity and depress during the long brutal period.

Honestly... you can only make no more than $800, if you wreck it then it all over.

SSI isn't for everyone especially if you are disabled. Trust me.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 2:17 am

I get SSI, but I was denied at first, but won the appeal. Pretty much everyone who applies gets rejected because Social Security is trying to protect itself from fraud. For me, the main reason why I applied was so I can get the health insurance, which I can keep even though I'm working.

MsHeart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

Social Security Adult Disabled Child - A person with Aspergers or Autism (and little or no work history or a "sketchy" work history) may qualify for Social Security Adult Disabled Child if they meet the SS guidelines re: conditions which impair living / working skills and it can be proven to the SS personnel and/or appeals judge that the person had the "condition" before age 21 (I think it is 21). It is highly unlikely a person with Aspergers or other high level functioning individual with Autism will be awarded this SS without one or more appeals and lots of psychological testing to show that living / working skills are highly impaired. Although one may score high on an "IQ" test, that does not mean that other problems do not impair their ability to earn a living. SS Adult Disabled Child funds come from a person's parent's social security payments - i.e., it is drawn on a parent's Social Security account. Social Security personnel have a long way to go in their education about Aspergers, Autism and related conditions. If you plan to pursue, get a good knowledgeable Social Security lawyer. I think by law, they all work on a contingency so there is no money out of your pocket to retain them. Best of luck to you.

Dad_of_Aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2008, 9:09 pm

You'll never qualify for Social Security DISABILITY benefits if you have never worked AND paid into the Social Security System.

You could qualify for SSI - if you have NOT worked or if you have worked and some condition now keeps you from continuing to work.

After graduating from HS and at age 18, my son C. applied for Disability Benefits. No one at the SS office ever asked him whether he had held a job. The State Employment Service sent him a long form to fill out relating all his employment history - what he did, how long his work day was, what kind of physical capabilities the job required etc.

C. refused to complete the form (he had never worked). So his SS Disability was denied because he didn't complete the form. (The states employment agencies are contracted by SS to investigate the employment histories.)

In July of 2006, C. and I went to SS office and applied for SSI. The intake person said "This will be easy" and explained that because C. has a case of mild non-progressive Cerebral Palsy, he would automatically qualify for SSI, they just needed a doctor's diagnosis for the CP, but he would get his first benefit check in two weeks (3rd of August.) We submitted the necessary medical records and he got the first check for $603. He got two more checks, then received a notice from SS that he was being disqualified because:

1. He was being treated for his medical condition
2. Just because he couldn't lift 50 pounds, didn't mean he couldn't have meaninful employment.

We appealed. - There is NO treatment for CP. and NO ONE ever tested him to see how much he could lift.

That first appeal was turned down and we filed a second appeal. The SS Office did not forward that second appeal which we only found out when we returned 8 months later to check on it. Although the time for appeal had gone by, they did allow a second appeal because of their mistake.

This one would be before an Administrative Law Judge and that might happen sometime in the next 18-24 months. (He was told initially that if he were successful in his appeal, he would get paid all his back benefits in full.)

We weren't willing to wait 18-24 months so I drafted a letter for C. and sent it to one of our US Senators. We received a quick response that "He was not allowed to interfere in appeals of government processes, but he would ask SS to keep him informed on the situation.

Guess what - a week later we got a notice that the appeal had been schedule for 60 days. (Couldn't interfere, but the fact that a US Senator was interested, sure moved things along quickly.)

I had to postpone the appeal (was supposed to be yesterday) because I could not get the day off from work. In the interim C. was hired part time at Best Buy to work in the media department -- DVDs, CDs, game systems. C. is hyperfocused on all these and has been doing a super job there. But he's now going to college and can't work as many hours. Was working at Best Buy on Saturdays and Sundays, but was laid off last week because of the economy.

I'll let you know when the appeal is rescheduled and what the outcome is. Sure would be nice to win 18 months+ of back benefits @ $603 a month... (Dream on)

Anybody gone through that type of appeal, please contact me directly.

Last edited by Dad_of_Aspie on 03 Apr 2008, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

03 Apr 2008, 3:11 am

I was put on Social Security by my mother. I don't have just AS, I also have depression, Obsessive Compulsive behavior and the thinking, adjustment disorder, ADD, anxiety, cognitive thinking problems, language processing disorder and plus I think it had to do with my history too. I think I have something else too but I don't know what.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:02 pm

yeah, i had alot of medical history from my iep, from school and they used that information to get a schizophrenia,ptsd, etc diagnoses. if you have been rejected you should try to get a non profit organization who helps on ssd to help you, i was rejected twice when i tried myself, but the non-profit organization had all the contacts with experts and thats how i got on it the third time.