30 Mar 2008, 4:49 pm

They should have a catigory thats "suspecting aspergers" or "suspecting autism"

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:54 pm

demoluca wrote:
They should have a catigory thats "suspecting aspergers" or "suspecting autism"

There is. Self-diagnosed. Can't remember, but I think there's also a "Not sure if I have it" option.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:43 pm

I want a new one - "peer-diagnosed". It's more definite than all the rest.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2008, 1:25 am

Back in the 90's, the DX of Bipolar Disorder was all the rage. And before that, it was Multiple Personality Disorder. When I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, I had a friend who actually said that she envied me, because she considered it more interesting than plain old Depression! Now I get NTs wondering out loud if they have AS. :roll: Just why this is seen to be an advantage, I don't understand at all. Maybe we should have something like in the beginning of that movie, It's A Wonderful Life , where the angel gets to see George Baily's life up until the present. Then they can see how fun it is to have AS and not know it.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2008, 1:37 am

I actually have never personally talked to anyone in real life who even knew what AS is, let alone know anyone I think would want anyone else to think they have it. I am, however, noticing a trend in informed people on the internet to accuse AS of being a trend. I wonder, where does this hypothesis even come from, and how can it possibly have been made into a fact?

I can see how a nerdy, shy person could hear about it and perhaps be a little premature in deciding if that's it. But taking the next step in really learning about it seems inevitable. After that it takes some courage and honesty to not reject it all together as a possibility. The criteria is hardly flattering. The name is definitly unflattering. Awareness is not making AS into a trend, it's just making people aware that they have it, when they otherwise wouldn't have known. IMO.

These assumptions about AS being a trend are based on imagination alone, speculations at best. What's more, they're counterproductive. BTW, let me know when they build an AS store in the mall next to Hot Topic. I know a kid that I think is also aspie that could use a pair of wedgie proof underwear. He's just so popular the other kids always seem to want to know what kind of underwear he's wearing so they can copy him.

Last edited by Pithlet on 31 Mar 2008, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chadk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2008, 1:48 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Now I get NTs wondering out loud if they have AS. :roll:

How do you know they are NT? Seems extremely arrogant to me.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:42 am

hurm... i guess there is something to it. looking at my close friend circle, people all have more or less spectrumish features - i guess thats why its called a spectrum nowadays. and there sure is more places on the entry steps of that spectrum than only aspergers.
what i want to say is that there probably are quite a share of people who are sitting somewhere on the very entry steps of the autistic spectrum. now that aspergers gets at least some media coverage, i can see how many associate "autistic" traits they find within themselves with aspergers, lacking a better definition of the place they are at.

just as finding out about the possibility of bipolar disorder made everyone see traces of bipolarity as a concept within themselves... it gave them a name to put with an observation.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 3:31 am

Whatever is so awesome about any disorder... oh well. I don't need to get it.

People say this in real life too. There's lots on AS and autism right now in TV and magazines. Where I live, it's not yet enough to alert those who don't know a thing about ASDs, but already enough to drive autism therapist and professionals into complaining.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 4:43 am

batista90 wrote:
how can eating meds and stimming be fhassionable?

I love that spelling of Fashionable. I think it is even better than the original. I do like unusual spelling styles.. :)

Taking a break.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 4:51 am

I don't like fashion, and if I could, I'd selflessly donate my ASD to those in need.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2008, 4:52 am

lemon wrote:
I have read/heard several times that people say that Asperger's syndrom is
'fashionable' nowadays ...

I am very worried by this ...
worried for people who do not know about AS, maybe because they only just heard of it,
and especially for people who first encounter AS ánd who do have it.

Because, this might discourage people to self investigate, it might scare them away.

People have often laughed with me like 'You? having asperger's/autistic traits? not possible!'
so much that it did take me a long time to actually start the process of a diagnosis, or even to try to understand it myself.

I think people with Asperger's do feel isolated enough already and don't need another reason to be abandoned.

I am self diagnosed but I dont walk around raging to the world. I talk about it here for obvious reasons. I think that if you got suspicion you should reaserch it and look for professional help. I am seeing a psych myself and as would have never come up had my stims, and all that array of lil things had not gotten worse after my nerveous breakdown. then my symptoms became obvious to my gf even more so than before.

Danielismyname wrote:
I don't like fashion, and if I could, I'd selflessly donate my ASD to those in need.

8) agreed fashion is the suck

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 4:53 am

Danielismyname wrote:

I like that. :lol:

Still, careful...charity is VERY in right now.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2008, 5:04 am

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

I like that. :lol:

Still, careful...charity is VERY in right now.

Such cynicism! :P

Have you seen that Malcom In The Middle where he joins a charity club in school who are like that?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

31 Mar 2008, 5:17 am

demoluca wrote:
so we're cool if we're faking it but not if we have it?

Humans act so strange... 8O

Well...that seems to be the way things are going these days. Don't ask me why, as I have no idea why faking a neurological "disorder" can become fashionable.
Seriously, AS, fashionable...what's wrong with this world! :evil:

I think more people should be aware of AS, but I don't think that it should get to the point where MANY people are diagnosing themselves as having AS because of ONE social mistake or simply because of being introverted or having "geeky" interests. :roll:

I agree, demoluca, humans act so strange.

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2008, 6:47 am

Yeah..I've heard of this....of people self diagnosing or saying that they have it just cuz they are shy or nerds/geeks....I've seen it alot in the furry fandom. ><

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:57 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Back in the 90's, the DX of Bipolar Disorder was all the rage. And before that, it was Multiple Personality Disorder. When I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, I had a friend who actually said that she envied me, because she considered it more interesting than plain old Depression! Now I get NTs wondering out loud if they have AS. :roll: Just why this is seen to be an advantage, I don't understand at all. Maybe we should have something like in the beginning of that movie, It's A Wonderful Life , where the angel gets to see George Baily's life up until the present. Then they can see how fun it is to have AS and not know it.

Bipolar, and now AS, are "fashionable" because they are associated with certain traits or gifts. Bipolar is associated with creativity and AS is associated with extensive technical knowledge (especially in computers). The labels also are used as a badge of non-conformity.