Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 12:17 pm

I have read/heard several times that people say that Asperger's syndrom is
'fashionable' nowadays ...

I am very worried by this ...
worried for people who do not know about AS, maybe because they only just heard of it,
and especially for people who first encounter AS ánd who do have it.

Because, this might discourage people to self investigate, it might scare them away.

People have often laughed with me like 'You? having asperger's/autistic traits? not possible!'
so much that it did take me a long time to actually start the process of a diagnosis, or even to try to understand it myself.

I think people with Asperger's do feel isolated enough already and don't need another reason to be abandoned.

Ihdreniel
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2008, 1:10 pm

Meh, apparently it's turned into some sort of 'fad disorder'- people will be all, "Omygaaaad, I'm shy and sort of socially awkward- I must have Asperger's!" Personally I haven't seen it much myself, but whatever.
It is annoying, though- because of this "phenomenon", people are often a lot more likely to be skeptical of a diagnosis.

I don't see the problem with self-diagnosing, though. It's not like it's hurting anybody. :roll:

It attacks.

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants ?is paycheck.)

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:28 pm

Maybe NT's want to be like us, odd giving we are already outcasts as it is.

I agree that it is becoming a fad, and it really should not be. Take 'emo' for example, the town that I am in are crawling with emo kids, the ones that wear all black, cover their head with hoodies, the hair-styles, make-up, the works. They kinda remind me of the Queen's guard, no matter what you do they don't change expresstion.

'emo' is a fad here, they think it's cool, but it's not! Real emo's have real issues that needs help, some go to the point of cutting themselves. How can that be cool?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 1:37 pm

yep everyones got it now. this happens with disorders every now and then, in a few years ittle be something new. i'm guessing internet addiction disorder will be the hot new thing to have. hey if you have aspergers you have it. i have a feeling that alot of people dont though

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:38 pm

It is odd that some try to make AS sound like it is definitely a LOT worse than it is, and others make it sound like it is always FANTASTIC! That psychiatrists back up the conflicting views doesn't help any.

As for me? If 1 was worst, and 10 was FANTASTIC, I felt I was an 8. NOW, I find I am more of a 6 or 7.

Anyway, people with a LOT of problems and in TROUBLE try to get an AS diagnosis, or claim it, in the same way that many inmates claim to have become born again christians. It is probably easier for them than getting the RIGHT diagnosis. Of course, that weights its perception in favor of the worst.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:46 pm

i am more worried for people who really would benefit from knowing they have asperger's but don't dare to investigate it because of the loud rumours

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:53 pm

The time i brought it up and was seriously laughed at...the girl who laughed at me did so because it was her stance that it was a fad thing....(she was from San Francisco) :?

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 2:02 pm

how can eating meds and stimming be fhassionable? well nts are weird sometimes though i hang out whith one of em

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 2:03 pm

This is why I haven’t mentioned to anyone other than my doctor that I suspect having it. I’m afraid others would look at it as more of a way for me to make up an excuse for my odd behaviors. That is, after I explain to them what it is.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

batista90 wrote:
how can eating meds and stimming be fhassionable?
not everyone who has aspergers takes meds. i dont, i think people want it because its heard mentality, its like seeing something on tv and then wanting it

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:27 pm

It wouldn't surprise me that quite a few nerdy, introverted NTs will mistakenly think they are aspies, especially if they are raised in a social environment that treats the "normal" NT form of introversion as a mental problem instead of a personality trait.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:32 pm

Get your fash ON topic

I never thought anything I did said or lived with could be considered fashionable. 8O :roll:

Jump on the AS bandwagon. Plenty of room! :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

so we're cool if we're faking it but not if we have it?

Humans act so strange... 8O

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:35 pm

I don't think Asperger's is common enough or well-known enough to become a "fad." And besides, I have no interest in witch-hunting for the "fake" Aspies. McCarthy is dead, let's leave it that way.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
I don't think Asperger's is common enough or well-known enough to become a "fad." And besides, I have no interest in witch-hunting for the "fake" Aspies. McCarthy is dead, let's leave it that way.

I had finished writing a post to start a new topic that basically said this. Since it has already been said, I'll just post what I had written here instead. :P

These are the internets. Even if you have a PhD and years of focused training specifically having to do with AS, attempting to "diagnose" someone based upon message board posts would be an absurd proposition.

Does everyone here accurately identify where they "fit?" (In terms of AS, NT, HFA, autistic, etc) No, most likely not. Is this an issue? Not unless someone acts as if they speak for everyone in a "group" that they don't actually belong to, or acts as if their experience is a perfect example of how everyone else in said group will experience things. (Though it should be noted that even if said individual was in the group they are claiming membership with, to act as if one's own experience is the example is just as asinine.) Though there may be shared similarities, to suggest that any two people are the "same" simply because they are or are not AS or NT (or otherwise) is ridiculous.

There's no point in suggesting that anyone here does / doesn't have _____, or is / isn't _______, save trying to damage their credibility.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:49 pm

They should have a catigory thats "suspecting aspergers" or "suspecting autism"