Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2008, 12:05 pm

I new there was something more to it than met the eye...

Honey addiction sucks....I know...I'm a recovering drug addict and acoholic.

Addiction recovery people are everywhere. They can help. Speak to counsellors...and don't worry that you think just because it's the internet it doesn't count. It does. It does.

Get some help, and hang in there. I know about obsession...be good, honey.

Devon

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:06 pm

I recently shut off my Internet connection and went about 2 weeks without being able to get online from my own computer. I checked my email from a friend's computer. It was very helpful. I got some important stuff done and stopped wasting so much time.

Good luck dealing with the obsession!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

Well, this is the first I've heard of this.

I think attempting to troll the site is probably not the best way to try to address the issue. Also, I feel it would be a disservice to you to ban you just to relieve you of your problem. We all have obsessions and we all have to try to find ways to to prevent those obsessions from taking over our lives. It's important to seek a balance. We often fail when we try to not do something. Instead we should seek to do something else. There's an article in Wired (see the thread in Media Representation, "Autism Headlines for April 4") called something like "Dealing with your Aspergers" that talks about setting time limits for yourself, when it's time to move on to something else. If all else fails, security software is available that will limit your computer use. Of course, someone else will have to set the password for you. :)

- Emerson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:21 pm

Good luck. :)

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 3:35 pm

yeah I've found this a bit addictive myself, been spending a bit to much time on here lately.

But I think I have got it out of my system now.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

I think it can be addictive but it can also be a bit mean to put down WP members just to get banned. :?

Mr. Bogan, you're relapsing again and you should know better, once you start you can never stop. Addiction is incurable and resistance is futile. :shameonyou:

04 Apr 2008, 3:44 pm

I've been addicted to sites before and I had to wait till my obsession wore off.

Can't mods ban members when they asked to be banned?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 4:39 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I've been addicted to sites before and I had to wait till my obsession wore off.

Can't mods ban members when they asked to be banned?

Yes, but we don't. It is a disservice to members to take responsibility for their personal problems. This is life and we all have to learn to deal with it.

- Emerson

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

Here's a good way. Have a partner who needs the net connection for other things (and a lot of bandwidth), and you'll be able to set a time limit.

Also get involved in off computer things. Get out of the house. I designate two days for this - Tuesday and Saturday. It also helps that I have an interest that shifts me to my non Internet connected laptop.

Works for me. The Internet is certainly addictive. It always helps to get extra information in order to find other ways to resolve problems.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2008, 4:53 am

No response to Grimfaire's brilliant suggestion???

You can ban yourself!

dp