Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

toby2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Of course your parents saw more signs after you were vaccinated, you were vaccinated very young and autism doesn't typically manifest until the child is over a year old, or sometimes isn't very noticeable until even later. Temporal proximity of two events does not establish etiology

well thats what i meant to say, i agree and dont know much about vacines, but personaly i think its a shame there has to be so many at once and contians mercury the odds are it cant be good for every one.

Last edited by toby2 on 06 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 4:43 pm

I don't vaccinate because I don't believe they're safe, but I'm in the minority!!

There's a huge and recent thread on the autism politics etc forum about it, should be about halfway down and have some interesting info for you. :)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:20 pm

toby2 wrote:
well thats what i meant to say, i agree and dont know much about vacines, but personaly i think its a shame there has to be so many at once and contians mercury the odds are it cant be good for every one.

No, they don't contain mercury. The MMR vaccine NEVER had mercury, and mercury was removed from almost all other vaccines years ago. The rate of autism was unaffected by the switch away from mercury.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

Lots still do contain mercury.

toby2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

Quote:
No, they don't contain mercury. The MMR vaccine NEVER had mercury, and mercury was removed from almost all other vaccines years ago. The rate of autism was unaffected by the switch away from mercury.
[/quote]

sorry i dont know anything about the vacines, but i thought Norway was the first country recently to stop using mercury in there vacines ,so
i am a bit confused :?

Quote:
The rate of autism was unaffected by the switch away from mercury

theres more people now being diagnosed with autism simply because we are more aware of it,. i dont think we can judge anylink with the vacine by means of sastistics.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:12 pm

toby2 wrote:
Quote:
The rate of autism was unaffected by the switch away from mercury

theres more people now being diagnosed with autism simply because we are more aware of it,. i dont think we can judge anylink with the vacine by means of sastistics.

True, but mercury conspiracy theorists are quick to point to alleged increases in occurrence of autism as support for their ideas. There is no reason to suspect that the rate of autism dropped at all after removing mercury from vaccines.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:13 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Such as? I know the influenza vaccine still contains some mercury, though a mercury-free version is available to those who want it.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:36 pm

Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Such as? I know the influenza vaccine still contains some mercury, though a mercury-free version is available to those who want it.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbo ... able-2.pdf

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:04 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Thank you for the link. The only ones that contained thimerosal have it in TRACE amounts because of post-production thimerosal removal, and, as it says, should be considered for all intents and purposes to be thimerosal-free. Also, those that have it in significant levels are either available in a different version (influenza) or only contain thimerosal when they are bulk packaged- if you're worried about it, surely you could request that your doctor order a single-dose of that particular vaccine in order to avoid any mercury.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:33 pm

Mage wrote:
Generally parents don't tend to notice their kids autistic behaviors until after a year old. Coincidentally, MMR is given at 1 year old. If MMR was given at age 4 instead of age 1, parents wouldn't jump to this conclusion. However that would also put them at risk of contracting diseases for those 3 extra years.

True, and studies have been conducted which have identified, for instance, abnormal movement patterns in autistic children less than a year old (from old home videos, etc.). Even Kanner back in 1943 noted that the parents of the children in his study reported that as infants, their children did not assume an "anticipatory posture" prior to being picked up (typical children do this). So the signs are there very early on, but parents either don't know what to look for, don't identify any noticeable oddities as autistic, or maybe even are in some denial.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 1:59 am

Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Thank you for the link. The only ones that contained thimerosal have it in TRACE amounts because of post-production thimerosal removal, and, as it says, should be considered for all intents and purposes to be thimerosal-free. Also, those that have it in significant levels are either available in a different version (influenza) or only contain thimerosal when they are bulk packaged- if you're worried about it, surely you could request that your doctor order a single-dose of that particular vaccine in order to avoid any mercury.

True, I just don't trust them (this is the same group of people (CDC and FDA) who've approved aspartame, MSG, various carcinogenic additives etc remember). If it's in there I don't really believe them when they say 'trace amounts' and that it's for all intents and purposes free of it. If it's there it's there imo.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
True, I just don't trust them (this is the same group of people (CDC and FDA) who've approved aspartame, MSG, various carcinogenic additives etc remember). If it's in there I don't really believe them when they say 'trace amounts' and that it's for all intents and purposes free of it. If it's there it's there imo.

Erring on the side of caution can be a good thing- which is why I would promote responsible use of vaccines. Any risks posed by the vaccine itself are far less than the risk of leaving the population susceptible to an epidemic (as happened recently in Indiana). The CDC I would usually trust, their mistakes obviously will be much more visible than the countless times they do something right, so the availability heuristic kicks in and people have an unrealistic perception of incompetence when in fact they do an excellent job.