Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:08 pm

Kilroy wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Jesus even commands us to love our enemies, which at times is very difficult.

really? i thought it'd be the easiest thing in the world!

Is that sarcasm or do you really mean that?

it was light-hearted sarcasm. i think everyone realizes that it's hard to even tolerate your enemies rather less love them. :P

not that we actually have to listen to Jesus :lol:

Nobody has to listen to anybody, right? That's at least how forum debates go...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:22 pm

Kilroy wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Jesus even commands us to love our enemies, which at times is very difficult.

really? i thought it'd be the easiest thing in the world!

Is that sarcasm or do you really mean that?

it was light-hearted sarcasm. i think everyone realizes that it's hard to even tolerate your enemies rather less love them. :P

not that we actually have to listen to Jesus :lol:

well it's kinda hard to listen to someone who most likely didn't exist in the capacity that most associate with him.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 11:51 pm

I love Jesus. I love my nieghboring nation
I don't know about theodiceans but I pray when
they take over they bring along a Vatican run theocracy
thats what should have tanks in the middle east

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2008, 1:50 am

spdjeanne wrote:
Whether or not you are a Christian, if you believe that the imperative, "love your neighbor as yourself," has moral value, do you believe this is applicable to nations as well as individuals? IMO, most people think of this proverb only in terms of the individual, but I believe it has even more value when applied to national politics. . . . not that it ever has been applied to national politics.

When I think of the parable of the Good Samaritan, I think of countries like Palestine, Kurdistan, and Mexico (to name just three) as the man in the ditch. So far, it doesn't seem like any Good Samaritans have come forward. However, a lot of pious people have passed by on the other side of the road. Some have even stopped to throw rocks at them or poke them with a stick.

Like what Martin Luther King once said, we should ask ourselves not what will happen to US if we stop and help, but rather, what will happen to THEM.

The bible also says, "Charity begins at home." We can't foot the bills to take care of other countries and their immigrants all the while ignoring our own people, problems, borders and future. Their countries need to step up as well. We're not babysitters.

Re: Palestine. Against the world's judgment, Sharon gave them the Gaza Strip so that they can settle their own people there. It was a start. They laid claim that they had "won" it. Look where it's at some 4 years later. That area used to look like a nice American suburb, now it looks like a third-world hellhole because the only thing they did with it was use it to launch missiles. If you give a man a fish they eat for a day. If a man actually gets up off his duff and learns to fish and accept responsibility for his people, he and his tribe eat forever.