What do you think/feel when a stranger knocks on the door?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you think/feel when a stranger knocks on the door?
Sheer terror 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
Where's my gun? 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Go away I'm busy 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
Quick - Hide the weed 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Wonderful, someone to practice small talk with 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Depends if they are good looking or not 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

We had a stranger knock at the door yesterday. That is very unusual as we live in the French countryside miles away from the nearest town or other people. I went outside and there was a smartly dressed middle aged French man and a boy. I could sense there was something sinister about him straight away when he started talking. Lots of small talk and pleasantries. All the time I'm thinking "What does he want? Why doesn't he come to the point - should I have brought a cross, some garlic and a little wooden stake outside with me?".

Finally he went for the kill, my blood was the last thing he wanted, no, far more sinister, he wanted my soul! "Do you believe in God?" he said. "I've come from Jehovah to bring you his message". He asked me if I could read French. "No" I replied thinking that would make him go away, but no, he reached into his bag and pulled out a book and opened it at an index of languages. I swear the book had text in every known language in the universe including ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and Klingon. He thrust the book at me showing me some stuff in English. I pretended to read it and said "No - it isn't for me thank you". At which point he left and I heaved an enormous sigh or relief. Thankfully he wasn't as pushy as the Jehovah's Witnesses in England, they keep talking at you until you shut the door on them. People! :?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:37 am

Mormons and JW's, door-to-door salesmen of weirdness...

I picked, "where's my gun?"

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:43 am

I am usually apprehensive about going to the door if there is somebody I don't know.

Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 11:34 am

Jehova's witnesses come knocking on my door all the time. I like to mess with them.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I am usually apprehensive about going to the door if there is somebody I don't know.

Me too.
The poll answers were clever, wish I could've chosen more than one. My general reaction is both option #1, panic (is it a "bad dolly" coming to bring bad news & interfere with rightful 'quiet enjoyment' of my apartment ?) & option #3, annoyance ("do not disturb"-I'm an artist at work !). Loathe being interrupted/distracted/mentally derailed by stuff that's not important (and is, in fact, counterproductive) to me.

Absolutely cannot stand salespeople (more likely to be hawking religion than an item) & have no tolerance for such pestiferous intrusions. My ex had personality that enjoyed challenge of arguing & engaging with such people, but I have no taste for such encounters (he'd be like "come on in" and I'd be like "get out, go away"). Anyway, I chose option #4-because features of my lifestyle are considered illicit by The (arbitrary & wrongheaded) System.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:57 pm

Since I am basically an isolationist now, any knock on my door brings sheer terror.

I'm sorry, but I can go outside, in to town and mingle with people on their playing field. But when I'm in my own apartment - LEAVE ME ALONE!!

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:02 pm

Go away I'm busy was the closest to how I feel.

Mine is more like "What do you want!? You wouldn't be bothering me if I wasn't busy!"

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:08 pm

I run and hide. Fortunately, I have a dog who barks quite forcefully when someone comes to the door. He mixes deep growls with barks of different pitches and even the occasional howl, so it sounds like I have several dogs of different sizes.

I don't understand why you're supposed to always answer the door when someone knocks. What if you're busy? I mean, you're not expected to answer the phone every time you hear it ring.

I say this because one time, I was home by myself and I had just gotten out of the shower when someone knocked at the door. I was sitting at a table near the door, wearing only a small towel (don't recall what I was doing exactly). I saw the guy through the window and recognized him as a friend of my boyfriend, but I ran to the bedroom because I was practically naked. By the time I got dressed, he was gone. When my boyfriend got home, he was angry that I didn't answer the door. And I heard that his friend was angry too because he had seen me run away. So he would have preferred for me to answer the door naked?!?!

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:09 pm

Wow...even in the Frence countryside. They do get around don't they? :lol:

I was visited over a month or so ago...had just crawled out of bed, no coffee, 3 of the neighbors cats begging on the front porch...

*ding dong*

I look out to two men dressed in suits with three cats rubbing up against them.

Me: "What?"

Them: "Do you believe in God?" (or something to that effect, I can't remember)

Me: *stares off into space*

Them: "Are these your cats?"

Me: "not really"

Them: "they're very affectionate aren't they?"

Me: "No...they're hungry *insert bella lugosi glare*"

Anyways...took them all of 3 seconds to get off the porch after that...and I enjoyed my morning coffee with a smile. :lol:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:16 pm

My immediate reaction..... Sheer Panic and then my reasoning becomes evident that I don't wanna be bothered espeacially by a kid who's trying to sell me stuff for school charity. They make me feel guilty with those glaring eyes not to mention a school making them do this. It's the same with the phone. I panic with sheer terror then "You win a trip to......" (Clank)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:57 pm

I don't have to deal with this problem, because I live in an apartment. I sued to get really nervous whenever that happened, when I was still living with my parents.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't have to deal with this problem, because I live in an apartment. I sued to get really nervous whenever that happened, when I was still living with my parents.

Did you really sue?

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2008, 5:05 pm

I liked the poll answers. They made me laugh.

I voted "Go away I'm busy". In general, when I'm at home I don't like being disturbed. Visits must be scheduled in advance.

I must admit I was tempted to vote "Depends if they are good looking or not". :twisted: Good looking girls my age knocking at my door is something that rarely happens. And who knows, they may have something interesting to say...

of an infinite world.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 1:40 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Mormons and JW's, door-to-door salesmen of weirdness...

I picked, "where's my gun?"

we would get the JW's on christmas morning, I felt like throwing a bucket of water on them, its normally about -20c in Edmonton around christmas time, didn't mind the Mormons, they were actually very nice, but I made the mistake of inviting some in, and they gave me the weirdest comic book bible, and I still have it :)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:09 am

Beenthere wrote:
Wow...even in the Frence countryside. They do get around don't they? :lol:

A surreal picture popped into my mind of Neil Armstrong stepping off the lander onto the surface of the moon for the first time...
"It's one small step for man, but one giant leap for... what the... who the hell are you?"

"Good morning sir. I bring you a message from Jehovah."

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:19 am

*knock knock* go away im busy on wrong planet! *knock knock* where did i leave that gun :scratch: ?