My family doesn't seem to believe that I have aspergers

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 4:49 pm

It's hurtful. My family think i'm overexaggerating too. The problem is that they know you very well. They most likely watched you grow up. They were able to gradually adjust to your nuances and as such they aren't able to separate them from normal behavior. When I meet new people they immediately can tell there is something not quite right about me, but my family just think it's me being me.

just so you understand they're not doing it to hurt you. It's not their fault they're NT, some people were just born unlucky.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:59 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
It's hurtful. My family think i'm overexaggerating too. The problem is that they know you very well. They most likely watched you grow up. They were able to gradually adjust to your nuances and as such they aren't able to separate them from normal behavior. When I meet new people they immediately can tell there is something not quite right about me, but my family just think it's me being me.

just so you understand they're not doing it to hurt you. It's not their fault they're NT, some people were just born unlucky.

I LOVE your reply! You hit the nail on the head!! It makes a lot of sense.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

pat666rick wrote:
No, he ain't right. He was a dummy.
You know this how?

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2008, 5:28 pm

ChatBrat wrote:
I hear ya, Patrick. I get frustrated with my family, too. I wish I knew why people live in denial like that. It's like they can't stand to think that you could have anything wrong with you (to be anything other than NT)... easier to blame it on laziness I guess.

Same here, but I can understand that I'm my parent's only hope of a normal child. I've not told them yet and I don't plan on doing so for a long while because of this.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:22 am

Fred54 wrote:
My parents and siblings do not know it. I suspect my mother has AS as well, but at 60s I don't want to start to explain to her and my father all about AS.
I asked my sister if she knew AS and she told me "no", I'll have to send her a couple of links...

Fred54,
I was 58 when I found out about me. It's not too late, I was so relieived that I had an answer for all the issues of my life. It didn't take any intervention,no big deal, just a little article describing the symptoms and I was reading about myself. If they want to say anthing about it they can talk to you.

I would loved my parents to know why all those years were so stressful and chaotic, if only to put their hearts at rest.

Merle

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:45 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Fred54 wrote:
My parents and siblings do not know it. I suspect my mother has AS as well, but at 60s I don't want to start to explain to her and my father all about AS.
I asked my sister if she knew AS and she told me "no", I'll have to send her a couple of links...

Fred54,
I was 58 when I found out about me. It's not too late, I was so relieived that I had an answer for all the issues of my life. It didn't take any intervention,no big deal, just a little article describing the symptoms and I was reading about myself. If they want to say anthing about it they can talk to you.

I would loved my parents to know why all those years were so stressful and chaotic, if only to put their hearts at rest.

Merle

I feel sorry about you finding out so late in life that you had aspergers.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:05 am

pat666rick wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Fred54 wrote:

Fred54,

Merle

I feel sorry about you finding out so late in life that you had aspergers.

actually, I feel sorry for those who find out so early. they never know their true potential of what they can do because no one has allowed them to do any less than anyone else.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:39 am

Anybody else have opinions?

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 2:35 am

I was told I was just shy. And I got weird.
I haven't told my family yet. I think they will just say I am shy and such. And that I am normal just because they are use to me being me, LOL.

stjarna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2008, 3:24 am

pat666rick wrote:
What do you do when your family doesn't believe that you have aspergers? I tell my family that I have aspergers and they just say things like "oh no, you're just shy" or "you just have to push your ass and get a job". It's really starting to piss me off.

Well, I'm about to be officially diagnosed so that will be the end of it. My mom is open and understanding. My dad, who has no clue what Asperger's really is, refuses to accept I have it. The funny thing is that he always talked to me about my various quirks and obsessions as I grew up. All those things he pointed out were obvious signs of Asperger's. Still, whatever I say now, he won't listen. So what to do? I have no advice. I myself avoid the subject since we've reached a dead end. An official diagnose may open him up... Time will tell.