Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:28 am

ShizzleMacDaddy wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
a hornet would be the worst, my friend got one stuck in his trousers, the he went to put them on ......

go on.....

:lol: It stung him

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:39 am

I don't think it's an aspie thing. Bees sting, and stings hurt. simple as that. I love honey, but I don't like being near bees. I dislike yellow-jackets even more--- bees will usually sting only if they feel threatened ( since a bee dies after stinging--- it is usually a last ditch thing). Hornets and yellow-jackets seem to enjoy stinging because they can sting repeatedly. They hurt, too.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 11:26 am

I am also terrified of bees. I don't want to be stung. I run away when I see or hear a bee. This is one of my main phobias.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

Gabbaruchi wrote:
On the subject of biting ladybugs... if it bit you, it probably wasn't a real ladybug, but an Asian Lady Beetle (look 'em up on Wikipedia). These guys bite like mad and STINK. True ladybugs are far rarer than these pests and much better behaved.

I hear they are cross breeding. The crossbreeds are more orange or yellow, a pale version of the bright red ladybug. And yes, they bite, and the stink is so profound you can't imagine it comes from such a tiny little bug. Avoid squishing them!

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:33 pm

FireBird wrote:
I am also terrified of bees. I don't want to be stung. I run away when I see or hear a bee. This is one of my main phobias.

I've been known to jump, duck and run like mad because I heard a weed wacker in the distance that I mistook for a bee. Last year there was a swarm on a beach I went to for the first time with my kids. Now imagine all 115 pounds of me running with a 40 pound preschooler in one arm and a 25 pound toddler in the other, through sand on a 90 degree day with a huge bag full of beach necessities...for about 1/2 a mile.

I've never been back to that beach since and I doubt I ever will.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm

I am terrified of anything that flies and stings because I was stung by a wasp twice on both arms and once on my butt when I was 5.

OtherRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2008, 5:30 pm

i used to be completely frightened of bees. my primary fears as a child were bees and their ilk, large dogs, and cops. the fear of cops and dogs was easy to get over; in both cases, the creatures are totally predictable once you figure out their current disposition, which is usually pathetically obvious after a few seconds of observation. (i'm talking about garden variety, local-type cops and dogs. i live in the US. feds and their canine companions, or interpol types, may be different.)

but the bees are trickier. while often predictable, their behavior isn't so easily observed. and, when you can predict them, you're usually in for the worst. eg, if you step on a bee with bare feet, you're virtually guaranteed to get stung. strangely enough, this is how i got over my fear of bees. one summer, i stomped on so many yellowjackets (usually, inadvertantly) with bare feet that i would react to a sting with feelings of extreme itchiness rather'n pain. the bees seem to sense this lack of fear, or their own inadequacy as terroristic insects, because they no longer haunt my beverages at bbq's.

still, being caught driving a car with a bee on board is enough to make anyone lose their cool. and, don't even get me started on greenhead flies or giant water beetles, aka "eastern toe-biters". goodness.

-rob

ps-if you truly want to frighten yourself, try to imagine what it would be like if the police were giant bees. you never know if he'll write the ticket, or sting you...or both.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 7:29 pm

I have been stung by bees, (I caught one and brought it to show my mom... in my closed hand -- the bee didn't like that), hornets (put my hand into a nest while picking chestnuts), and by wasps, working at an outdoor festival, where food was being served, the wasps got interested in the free buffet. Even though I told the woman to stop waving at the wasps, she continued, hit one and it landed in my hair, where it found my neck and promptly stung me.

I don't believe that the one was any worse than the other.

It has also been my personal observation that MOST people wouldn't know a bee from a yellow jacket or a wasp.

Bees don't sting unless seriously invoked. It kills them.

If it's buzzing around your picnic, chances are it's not a bee; and worse, they don't remember where the pot of jam was, they remember the shape of it, so even if you move it, they'll find it.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

Gabbaruchi wrote:
On the subject of biting ladybugs... if it bit you, it probably wasn't a real ladybug, but an Asian Lady Beetle (look 'em up on Wikipedia). These guys bite like mad and STINK. True ladybugs are far rarer than these pests and much better behaved.
Meh, real shmeal, if it's called a "lady-bird beetle" it's a lady bug in my mind! :lol: Oh, and you are definitely right on Asian ladybugs stinking like hell. The little buggers emerge en masse in the early summer around here.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2008, 8:47 pm

Mikomi wrote:
Okay, I'll admit it, I run like hell when I see (or hear) a bee. I am utterly terrified of being stung. I think it's my aspie-ness and my aversion to certain sensory input.

I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, it isn't that. I don't like being taken off guard by some tiny little insect that has the power to produce a nasty sharp pain, possibly when I don't even know it and definitely when I'm not prepared. I can handle pain I am prepared for. I delivered 9 and 10 pound babies without a drop of pain medication. But I was ready, I expected it.

The worst part of this is that they seem attracted to me like a magnet.

Anyhow, anyone else terrified of bees or have a similar issue?

If they are flying at you in 180 degree semi circle swings, smooth, black and yellow those are wasps, not bees.
http://www.hive-mind.com/bee/blog/media ... jacket.jpg
(that one pictured is a male and has no stinger.)
http://www.hive-mind.com/bee/blog/2005_ ... chive.html

I'm not afraid of bees, in fact I find male bumblebees to make a good stim. They don't sting, they vibrate, buzz a high pitched sound, and better yet I can minipulate their sound by squeezing, unsqueezing my hand a little. I'd catch about 10 of them and then open my hand and let them go when done.

Okay this stim is not for everyone but I found it to be calming.
Male bumble bees have a yellow patch of fur on their heads and smaller mandibles with a tuft of fur:
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Hymenoptera/ ... ee_002.jpg
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Bees_Wasps/bumblebee_03.jpg
8O
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/MES/n ... ote10.html

ShizzleMacDaddy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
ShizzleMacDaddy wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
a hornet would be the worst, my friend got one stuck in his trousers, the he went to put them on ......

go on.....

go on...

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:46 pm

MJIthewriter: that's pretty cool stuff. I actually don't mind bumblebees NEARLY as much as others.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:25 am

ShizzleMacDaddy wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
ShizzleMacDaddy wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:

go on.....

go on...

:P Well he's still alive, but he said it stung like hell.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

We need to kill the bees. It is their fault our society is in such shambles and they are an inferior race.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:50 pm

I've never been stung, I know I'm not allergic to them, but I'm still terrified of bees.

Oh, and don't kill the bees! They give us honey. They make our flowers pretty. Every insect is here for a reason, let's not discriminate!

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2008, 4:04 pm

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
I've never been stung, I know I'm not allergic to them, but I'm still terrified of bees.

Oh, and don't kill the bees! They give us honey. They make our flowers pretty. Every insect is here for a reason, let's not discriminate!

A beekeeper friend of ours told us that if we were to kill the bees, the planet would die. You can have the flowers, most of their perfumes cause me to gag anyway.