Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

Does anyone else occasionally stutter?

I sometimes stutter when people look me in the eyes a certian way.

Apuleyo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 10:13 am

I sometimes stutter because I speak too fast and sometimes I don't think in the pronunciation of words. That's why after a few attempts, I would stop, think on the word I wanted to say and start talking again more slowly.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:14 am

Apuleyo wrote:
I sometimes stutter because I speak too fast and sometimes I don't think in the pronunciation of words. That's why after a few attempts, I would stop, think on the word I wanted to say and start talking again more slowly.
I do that too.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 11:14 am

Sometimes I go into full stutter mode. I stutter on s, f, ch, sh. I even get the facial tics that go with it. It'll be when I'm tired or stressed. I can control it to a degree by being super slow when I talk, or even pausing to wait out the stutter as it were.

I've taught my family not to help me unless I give them a signal. There is nothing worse than people giving you the word you are stuttering on. It feels like an incomplete sneeze. Sometimes I can come up with an alternate word and I'm okay with that.

God, being me is a trial...LOL

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

I normally don't stutter unless I get nervous or anxious. And then I begin stuttering, and frequently have difficulty finding the right words.

So mine is contingent upon anxiety.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

olle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm

I often stutter. It gets much worse when I
* am stressed or nervous,
* haven't slept enough,
and so on. Trying to say certain words or phrases can actually make me stressed, and afraid of stuttering, and therefore causes stuttering. :roll: For example, I often have problems when I'm supposed to tell people my first name. I start stutter, but if the person I'm talking to has the patience to wait a short while I can say my name eventually. :wink:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:36 pm

I stutter sometimes, especially when I have either so much to say or very little to say. Does that make sense?

FluxCapacitor
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

I grew up stuttering terribly. It made me even more shy and akward around people. I was terrified to talk to people, afraid I would stutter and embarass myself. Now I'm 33 and can control my stuttering a little by talking slower. I know which words and sounds I struggle with so I try to think of other words in their place. Also, I seem to stutter when I say my own name and introduce myself! It's very frustrating and something I can't seem to stop doing even though I try very hard.

Scarlet_N
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

I stutter when a dominant personality is demanding an answer from me, or during confrontations. It makes me mad.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 1:50 pm

I stammer and I double, fairly often. I just ignore the doubling, and most people don't take notice of it.

My stammer bothers me more. I plan/play in my mind what I am going to say before I try to bring it out. Still, an occassional word just refuses to get past my throat and I have to quickly search for a synonym to be able to keep speaking. Even with the synonym, I have to force it out by almost "barking" the word.

Pops

DWill
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 2:15 pm

Apuleyo wrote:

Me and my brother both do this frequently. I've grown out of it a bit but my 11 year old brother I still have to remind him often to stop and think about what he wants to say.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:31 pm

stuttering in women is sexy

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:05 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I stutter sometimes, especially when I have either so much to say or very little to say. Does that make sense?
Yes I stutter when I have alot going through my head about what I want to communicate to someone.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

I stutter a bit when I really am nervous. But I guess that's to be expected.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

Very pretty stuttering woman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/ar ... ture.shtml

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 5:29 pm

I have a s-stutter that goes on and off. It's virtually absent when I'm relaxed and in the company of people I know, but strangely, I stutter more when I'm talking on a one-to-one basis, even if it's to someone I know well. Some words just don't like coming out.