Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:24 pm

I have true allergy to sulfa
I get eczema if I eat dairy , wheat and some other things
I get pain in my joints and bad guts if I eat nuts, seeds or pulses. which is very annoying as Im a vegan- so I eat a very odd diet.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 2:34 pm

Oh, some of the usual...like Aspirin, Penicillin, and Sulfa Drugs...

Used to be anaphylactic towards sulfites (in almost everything) but got pregnant, and poof...gone...wierd.

Perfumes and MANY chemical smells....common household cleaners and such. The worst are bathroom deodorants...yech! I get very ill, severe migraines.

Lactos intolerant...stirs up my IBS someting fierce!! ! And Pork...but NOT ham...go figure!

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 2:45 pm

I'm a 7+ on a scale of 5 for Dairy. 8O

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:52 pm

I'm allergic to neosporin and diflucan. I also have minor food allergies to yeast, corn, white potatoes, ginger and walnuts, though generally I just get headaches and diarrhea so I do still eat a little of those foods anyway. I have seasonal allergies and get hives, don't know exactly to what, but Zyrtec keeps that in check just fine so I don't even notice anymore.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

Sophist wrote:
About the honey thing: I recently realized that there's a warning label on honey, to not give it to children under 1 year of age. And now I'm wondering why that is...

Cause of a bacteria honey can contain - in the same family as botulism?? Can't remember, but it's heat resistent. Small children can't handle the infection and can die. (Don't worry! The rest of us can!)

kuiamalynne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 3:59 pm

I'm not sure that I have any unusual allergies. My severest allergies are cats (very, very bad), dust, and birch pollen. I'm also allergic to tree nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, etc.), dogs, ferrets, birds, several tree pollens, mold, and peas, and I'm beginning to suspect that I may be lactose intolerant. Also, I have very bad reactions to perfumes and bathroom cleaners, especially mildew/mold sprays (regardless of whether they have bleach). I can't breathe with those smells permeating my nasal cavity.

When I get stressed, I can't digest lettuce or similar raw, leafy greens. This developed a year and a half ago... I void my insides until I can void no more! 8O

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

I am allergic to Tylenol. It confuses doctors because then they think I can't take aspirin. I can take generic Tylenol, it's something about the brand that bothers me. It makes me violently ill.

I have a pretty severe allergy to mushrooms. If my husband eats them and kisses me, I get the nice constrictiveness in my throat and stop being able to breathe.

Other than that, my allergies are pretty common. Although, the allergist told me that I am level 1 allergic to most things in the universe and that is actually worse than being severely allergic to only one thing. It means that I'm basically irritated by everything in some way. Trees, grass, weeds, dust mites, house mites, spores, mold, mildew, cats, dogs, prolly my husband and kid too. They can't test for that, though. LOL. I am only scant seconds away from having to live in a plastic bubble.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:08 pm

I have allergies to dust and pollen, and also many hand lotions. I haven't figured out the common thread with the hand lotions, but when I put on certain hand lotions, my hands get all red and bumpy and it takes days to go away.

I also think I might have a mild allergy to Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo, because when I smell it, I start to have difficulty breathing.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

CityAsylum wrote:
Sophist wrote:
. . . I tend to have allergic-like reactions to many smells, like perfumes, although I don't know if those are true allergies or not.

The reaction to perfumes isn't classified as an allergy, but a sensitivity to the chemicals in fragrances - it make you react very badly though!

I get really sick when I'm near people wearing any kind of perfume or cologne, so I was interested to read that more than half of people with Asperger's have issues with fragrances, and many describe it as smelling like insecticide.

It was nice to see that written down, because for years I have wondered why people spray themselves with what smells to me like Raid.

Now I understand that while they are smelling chemical approximations of flowers or spice, all I am smelling is the underlying chemical brew. :eew:

Yeah, I can't handle most kinds of incense either. And my mother always had to okay perfumes with me before she bought them and wore them.

There are certain candle scents I can handle though: vanilla, cinnamon, apple... Mainly the smooth, light ones.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

gneiss

12 Apr 2008, 4:28 pm

I react to pepper with a runny nose. It is really a pain in the butt when I go out for dinner and forget the kleenex. At home it is easy for me to control.

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2008, 6:40 pm

i'm only allergic to antibiotics (as in most antibiotics), as well as codeine, that i know of. they did an allergy test on me when i was a kid, and i wasn't allergic to anything they tested me for. i do get stuffed up during pollen season, though...

my older sister's allergic to jicama and water chestnuts. she's NT, though...

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2008, 7:08 pm

-All 3 major classes of antibiotics.
-Canteloupe and Honeydew melons
-Lavender- just found that out last year when I trimmed my lavender bushes and ended up with beet red, itchy, painful hands.
-Vicodin- makes me itch like a mofo. Taken with Benadryl is ok though
-Bees- not severe, a Benadryl and I'm ok.
-Grass - I can't walk barefoot in it, sit on it, etc- I will itch like crazy.

-Oh, and I speculate that I really am allergic to the sun. ;) I can't stand direct sunlight.

I have severe seasonal allergies as well.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 7:09 pm

Pine needles, most antibiotics (seriously...I have a "safe list" of ones I CAN take) and a certain type of tree when the wood or leaves from it are burned. I don't know what tree it is though.

Otherwise I have no seasonal, food, animal or substance allergies at all.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 7:15 pm

When I was a younger (ages four through nine), I used to get horrible hives from cinnamon. I was just fine with cinnamon until age four, and I was fine with it again after age nine. I hated that allergy since I loved cinnamon. Another uncommon allergy I currently have is cigarette smoke. If I'm around it for even just a minute, I can feel my throat starting to swell up and my eyes feel like they're burning. Oh, and I'm deadly allergic to fire ants. At least I don't have to worry about them here in Indy. 8)

Oh, and I once knew this lady who was allergic to those little sesame seeds you put on hamburger buns. That's probably the most unusual allergy I've ever heard of.

Lavos
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2008, 8:50 pm

dairy, soy, amoxicillin

When I have dairy, I get congested and ultimately get a sinus infection that lasts for over a month. The only people I know that have similar reactionss to dairy have Asperger's syndrome.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2008, 9:21 pm

Phenylketonuria. Beat that.