What is a meltdown ? examples and causes

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2008, 11:53 am

I think i have meltdowns when my mum nags constantly at me (she has an anxiety issues). I find my self trying to shout over it to block it out because shes telling me too many things to do. I run my finger through my hair crazyly.
My chest gets really tight like someones sucked all the breakout of me some times i put my head in my hands

is this a meltdown?

What causes your meltdowns?

How do you get your parents to work with you to not prevoke a meltdown?

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 12:00 pm

Well at 28 I don't really have meltdowns anymore, except for maybe when my blood sugar gets too low. I used to have them when I was a teen, mostly related to cleanliness issues. When my brother put my clean laundry from the dryer into the dirty clothes basket, I freaked out. I still hate it when people walk into my house with shoes on, but over time I've learned to control myself.

My son, who's almost 3, has meltdowns all the time. His are mostly about stopping activities, like if I tell him to come inside and stop playing with his big wheel he'll cry for about 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it's little things in his routine, like if I walk a different route through the room than I normally do, he notices and freaks. I could probably list all day the things that make him have meltdowns, but I think as he gets older he will get better at coping.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

Meltdown: An overwhelming sense of psychological overstimulation in which the brain stops processing and analyzing current input, leading to feelings of anxiety and even panic, a state of cognitive paralysis that leaves the autistic unable to think clearly, or rationally cope with the immediate situation. Usually resulting in a momentary emotional collapse, often leading to an agitated outburst : weeping, angry rants, sometimes physical tantrums that may at worst involve acting out, ie flailing about or breaking things.

As you may see described in posts on this site, triggers causing a meltdown may range from being verbally abused or badgered, to even slight unexpected changes in routine or environment, such as someone painting a wall in your home without consulting you on their color choice.

The potential for Meltdowns in autistics is lifelong, you do not outgrow them. However, during positive cycles in your life, you may go months or even years without encountering a Meltdown situation. Spending a lot of time around people insensitive to your condition increases the likelihood of recurrence, as does depression.

I wouldn't hope for too much in trying to convince an NT to cease a traumatizing behavior, since they can't comprehend how it's affecting you, and since it doesn't affect them that way, they generally don't care. It takes an extremely compassionate NT to even try to understand. But I have also seen some NT parents posting on here who very much do try. Good Luck.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:42 pm

As Willard said, basically.

For me the two necessary ingredients are:

(a) when the external world comes into violent opposition to my internal perception of the way things "should" be,

and (b) I am powerless to change the thing(s) that are creating the discord.

e.g.:

- I am trying to concentate, and hence need silence, but people are talking, maybe loudly on mobile phones, and I do not have any means of getting them to stop.

- I am told that I have to conform to some stupid rule at work that involves doing something that I would never ever do because it would mean selling out my principles &/or who I am.

- My train is cancelled when I need to be somewhere by a particular time, and not to make it would mean not doing an activity that is already planned into my day (and maybe already paid for).

All these, & many other, circumstances are capable of sending me into a meltdown - whether I actually have one or not would depend on how stressed I already was prior to the trigger event, how low my blood sugar was, whether I had PMS, & whether I had anyone with me to calm me down (although I may just end up yelling at them, of course!)

I am likely to end up ranting &/or screaming at someone, stamping my feet, jumping up and down on the spot, or throwing things, although I am unlikely to physically attack anyone (unless they try to restrain me or drag me away - I bit a nightclub bouncer once!)

It is like my "rational" self is watching it all & saying "You're going to regret this later" but my "monster" as I call it has got out of its cage & gone on the rampage.

The really strange part is that I sometimes "phase in & out of it" so that I can be screaming at someone, then my rational self will step in and say calmly, "I'm sorry, I know none of this is your fault, but I've been having a really bad day," & then my monster will scream "but you should never EVER EVER do X!! !! !! !!"

I must sound like I'm either faking it (which I'm not) or have a split personality (which I haven't, because unfortunately I remember everything I do throughout the whole episode, much to my subsequent embarrassment!)

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 4:15 pm

Mage wrote: "Well at 28 I don't really have meltdowns anymore, except for maybe when my blood sugar gets too low."

I still experience what I now recognize as a meltdown sometimes. I worry about what a spouse might think of me so I have been trying to get better at not letting it show before I get into a close relationship with anyone. But just because you get better at not letting meltdowns show, doesn't mean you don't still have them.

One of my most recent involves taking too long to find things in Meijer because of the new layout and reallocation of floor space to useless junk. This left me feeling impaired for a couple of hours. My method of control at this point involves keeping the rant short.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 18 Apr 2008, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

sgrannel wrote:
I still experience them sometimes. I worry about what a spouse might think of me so I have been trying to get better at not letting it show before I get into a close relationship with anyone.

Don't kid yourself that you'll ever be able to live in the same space with another person and they'll never see you melt down. Not gonna happen. What can help, tho, is that they understand that it's an autistic reaction, and the best thing they can do for everyone concerned is get away from you and leave you alone for awhile. They also need to understand that what's probably setting you off is usually that you feel something has changed suddenly and uncontrollably. So it's important that you understand what's happening to you at the time, and they understand that you need if at all possible to be made aware of any significant impending changes in advance, so you can process and accept the whole experience more calmly. Problem with that is, one can never be sure what might qualify as "a significant change," that's an emotional perception that can vary from one day or even one hour to the next.

Unfortunately, to those who don't have them, the whole meltdown experience just looks like a temper tantrum, so don't expect tons of sympathy from most folks, even those what loves ya.

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Willard wrote:
Meltdown: An overwhelming sense of psychological overstimulation in which the brain stops processing and analyzing current input, leading to feelings of anxiety and even panic, a state of cognitive paralysis that leaves the autistic unable to think clearly, or rationally cope with the immediate situation. Usually resulting in a momentary emotional collapse, often leading to an agitated outburst : weeping, angry rants, sometimes physical tantrums that may at worst involve acting out, ie flailing about or breaking things.

As you may see described in posts on this site, triggers causing a meltdown may range from being verbally abused or badgered, to even slight unexpected changes in routine or environment, such as someone painting a wall in your home without consulting you on their color choice.

The potential for Meltdowns in autistics is lifelong, you do not outgrow them. However, during positive cycles in your life, you may go months or even years without encountering a Meltdown situation. Spending a lot of time around people insensitive to your condition increases the likelihood of recurrence, as does depression.

Oh. I thought all those times I felt like that was just because I was generally pissed about something but never understood why it felt so "wrong". I had been wondering if I have AS, scored 150/200 on RDOS test and 37/50 on AQ test, the more I've read about this the more I see so many similarities in everything about my life, and now theres this one, I have absolutely no clue as to how many times this has happened to me, do triggers for meltdowns include when you can't break out of an obsession? I.e. I frequently get into situations where I can't stop washing my hands or no matter how hard I try I can't says certain words in a sentence, the either dont leave my lips or I cant stop stuttering or generally screwing up the word or my throat going dry and the words choking, and when any of those happens i just feel really wound up and before I know it im that angry im screaming out load and generally punch a hole in my wall or desk, broke my hand loads of times from doing this, would that be a meltdown?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:42 pm

Seth36 wrote:
Willard wrote:

Oh. I thought all those times I felt like that was just because I was generally pissed about something but never understood why it felt so "wrong". I had been wondering if I have AS, scored 150/200 on RDOS test and 37/50 on AQ test, the more I've read about this the more I see so many similarities in everything about my life, and now theres this one, I have absolutely no clue as to how many times this has happened to me, do triggers for meltdowns include when you can't break out of an obsession? I.e. I frequently get into situations where I can't stop washing my hands or no matter how hard I try I can't says certain words in a sentence, the either dont leave my lips or I cant stop stuttering or generally screwing up the word or my throat going dry and the words choking, and when any of those happens i just feel really wound up and before I know it im that angry im screaming out load and generally punch a hole in my wall or desk, broke my hand loads of times from doing this, would that be a meltdown?

Sounds like OCD, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of having a meltdown about that. I used to have difficulty saying words describing internal body parts, and addressing other people by name, or with using the right pronouns and whether it's first, second, or third person point of view. I still have a little trouble with past and present tense in my writing unless I edit a lot, and I still feel a bit uneasy with saying my own name.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:50 pm

I have come to realize that at 28 with a child, if I have meltdowns and someone outside of the family sees, they are going to call CPS and take away my child. I do everything I can to control myself and make sure that doesn't happen. This includes controlling my diet, avoiding known triggers, and removing myself from situations when I sense things are going sour. This is why I don't have meltdowns anymore.

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 6:57 pm

sgrannel wrote:
Sounds like OCD, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of having a meltdown about that. I used to have difficulty saying words describing internal body parts, and addressing other people by name, or with using the right pronouns and whether it's first, second, or third person point of view. I still have a little trouble with past and present tense in my writing unless I edit a lot, and I still feel a bit uneasy with saying my own name.

OCD is another thing I'm suspecting as well, I was already termed as "suspected of" or "very likely" to have OCPD but after looking into them a bit more and finding the main defining difference between the two conditions (OCD being ego dystonic whereas OCPD is ego syntonic) I think its far more likely to be OCD, the RDOS test scored me at 147 for OCD as well.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

Mage wrote:
I have come to realize that at 28 with a child, if I have meltdowns and someone outside of the family sees, they are going to call CPS and take away my child. I do everything I can to control myself and make sure that doesn't happen. This includes controlling my diet, avoiding known triggers, and removing myself from situations when I sense things are going sour. This is why I don't have meltdowns anymore.

I like your avatar. Classy.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 8:54 pm

I see it as one of many possible responses to overload, not necessarily a response to overload of emotion, but overload of stuff going on in head. It doesn't have to involve panic at all, although it certainly can.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm

Mage wrote:

That's good! My mom had frequent meltdowns when I was growing up and it was really traumatic, especially because they were severe and no one knew what was going on or even acknowledged it. I think her meltdowns may have actually induced some kind of amnesia because when they ended, she acted like nothing had happened - like she was completely unaware that she had these attacks. She was never diagnosed with an ASD either, but it's pretty obvious that she has one.

It makes me happy to know that parents on the spectrum today are aware of their meltdowns and make the effort to acknowledge the problem and deal with it.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2008, 12:52 am

Willard wrote:

I wouldn't hope for too much in trying to convince an NT to cease a traumatizing behavior, since they can't comprehend how it's affecting you, and since it doesn't affect them that way, they generally don't care. It takes an extremely compassionate NT to even try to understand. But I have also seen some NT parents posting on here who very much do try. Good Luck.

If that's a meltdown, then I just had one yesterday.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 1:36 am

i have meltdowns when someone clean's my room or throws something of mine out. :evil:

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:45 am

for me meltdown are freaking out which is why i get restained

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/