article, Asperger syndrome childhood into adulthood

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2004, 10:07 am

this is an interesting article; thought some of you may want to look at it.

Asperger syndrome from childhood into adulthood
here is the link. If there is a problem with opening it, let me know and I will send the whole article.. it is rather long. Michele

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/10/5/341

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2004, 10:44 am

uhhhhhhg. I just read thru it, and found more connections between whats in print and myself.

Quote:
A person with Asperger syndrome:

a.)needs psychiatric treatment
b.)has very good recall of events
c.)has difficulty with the unfamiliar and unstructured
d.)will probably require long-term support
e.)will probably not develop epilepsy.

As much as I hate to admit it, A,C, and D are right on. And as for D. I don't think I'll ever be able to become a fully independent adult becasue of the problems I have, and I'll most likely require somekind of seconday support.

The whole process of my self-discovery of aspergers syndrome has been a very exiciting one for me, and also a very frustrating and depressing one since with each passing day, I'm becoming more and more aware of the fact that my life has been nothing but an uphill climb for me, and that the hill is only getting steeper as I get older.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Sep 2004, 11:40 am

I had some issues with this article. A lot of what is stated in it is quite debatable and biased. The distinction, for instance, between Asperger Syndrome and autism is not clear-cut and many (including myself) believe that Asperger Syndrome is simply a form of autism. A lot of the time people meeting the requirements for autism and exhibiting a significant speech delay will still get an Asperger's diagnosis if they are able to speak by the time they go in for a diagnosis. People can change functioning level during their lifetime. Also, to simply call AS "mild" is very undescriptive and undermines the significant challenges that can accompany it.

Additionally, Asperger Syndrome IS NOT treatable through psychiatric intervention. Potentially disadvantageous characteristics, such as lack of understanding of typical social behaviors and communication, can often be improved through proper, respectful teaching techniques. Some people with AS do use psychiatric medication for depression or anxiety or attention problems or a variety of other issues that tend to be comorbid with AS or are attributed to the AS itself, but psychiatric medication does not treat AS as a whole. In fact, many people on the spectrum do not benefit at all (and sometimes are damaged) by psychiatric intervention.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2004, 2:03 pm

Quote:
A person with Asperger syndrome:

a.)needs psychiatric treatment
b.)has very good recall of events
c.)has difficulty with the unfamiliar and unstructured
d.)will probably require long-term support
e.)will probably not develop epilepsy.

This is a multiple-choice test. Items A and B are false.

Scoots5012 wrote:
As much as I hate to admit it, A,C, and D are right on. And as for D. I don't think I'll ever be able to become a fully independent adult because of the problems I have, and I'll most likely require somekind of secondary support.

I often wondered how my life would be different if I were diagnosed with AS as a child or a young adult. I am too old to have been diagnosed as a child, but let's assume that possible for the sake of argument. I am learning now that my mother had a rather low opinion about my life skills when I was in my teens. She was seriously concerned that I would not manage as an adult. She wanted me to change. If she knew about AS, she would probably lower her expectations. I ask myself if I would become an independent adult in such circumstances. It is possible that I would not. However, I didn't know anything about it. I jumped into the deep water and survived. Is ignorance a power? No, strong determination is. One should not dream of failure.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2004, 2:28 pm

Quote:
I didn't know anything about it. I jumped into the deep water and survived. Is ignorance a power? No, strong determination is. One should not dream of failure.

I know you mean well magic. I not trying to sound negative, I'm just being honest with myself. I too have jumped into the water in the past as you put it, and I have nearly drowned, I kicked and fought to stay afloat like I never had before, but to no use.

If I can survive two years of UW oshkosh on my own, I'll change my opinion.

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2004, 6:02 pm

After reading that article, I am speechless. Too many "facts" that I could personally disagree with in there to list. And if the author of that article cited off of other people's work is that what those authors think too? People need to do more accurate research before writing: it is basically the same rule as "think before you speak", why can't all authors do that too?

Sorry, think I got a little over excited about that one. It just annoyed me.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2004, 3:38 pm

magic wrote:
I often wondered how my life would be different if I were diagnosed with AS as a child or a young adult. I am too old to have been diagnosed as a child, but let's assume that possible for the sake of argument. I am learning now that my mother had a rather low opinion about my life skills when I was in my teens. She was seriously concerned that I would not manage as an adult. She wanted me to change. If she knew about AS, she would probably lower her expectations. I ask myself if I would become an independent adult in such circumstances. It is possible that I would not. However, I didn't know anything about it. I jumped into the deep water and survived. Is ignorance a power? No, strong determination is. One should not dream of failure.

You just wrote my life experience! I completely agree with you. I knew nothing about AS when I was growing up, nor did anyone else for that matter.

I was "diagnosed" as "nervous." I was labeled as "gifted." And I was taught to have confidence in myself. I was determined to succeed and I have - at least in my opinion! I imagine my life would not have turned out as it has if I had been diagnosed as a child.