scientists think autism is part of the mental illness family

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:15 pm

thought this was interesting article, scientists think autism is part of the mental illness/depression family, if this is true the stats should be below in 1 out of 150 in the coming years. .pretty scary with the wars and our troops coming home with depression and mental illness, but this also goes with my research and my beliefs as well.

A hereditary illness?
The causes of autism open up another vast and difficult debate: the heritability of autism. Many scientists believe that autism is a hereditary family mental illness or depression. Currently there is much research into genetic linkage analysis in autism.

view article

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 6:47 pm

Scientists are stupid.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:11 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Scientists are stupid.

:roll:

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Apr 2008, 8:29 pm

Scientists are paid to come up with crackpot theories.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:38 pm

No, scientists are paid to do one of two types of research: basic or applied.

Autism is probably a genetic defect due to deterioration of the genome over the millennia, but we are dealing with human lives and not weeds. Eugenics is evil.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:53 pm

The author, while cited as an autism "authority", presents no bona fides; I see no notations regarding degrees, or even publications (which, while proving nothing in and of themselves, would at least give a touchstone for his supposed level of authority).

The single sentence you have chosen to pull out to support the rather inflammatory thread title is either an incredibly ungrammatical misstatement, or an out-and-out fabrication; while autism is highly heritable, it dose not meet the criteria for a "mental illness" - that is, its basis is neither psychological nor biochemical, thus neither medical treatment nor psychotherapy can be efficacious for treating the underlying disorder (although in cases where there is a comorbid disorder, such as depression or anxiety, these can be so treated).

In short, while the plight of the autistic in Italy is sad indeed, it seems to be exacerbated, if not outright caused, by ill-informed "experts" like the one who wrote this op-ed piece masquerading as an article.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
The author, while cited as an autism "authority", presents no bona fides; I see no notations regarding degrees, or even publications (which, while proving nothing in and of themselves, would at least give a touchstone for his supposed level of authority).

The single sentence you have chosen to pull out to support the rather inflammatory thread title is either an incredibly ungrammatical misstatement, or an out-and-out fabrication; while autism is highly heritable, it dose not meet the criteria for a "mental illness" - that is, its basis is neither psychological nor biochemical, thus neither medical treatment nor psychotherapy can be efficacious for treating the underlying disorder (although in cases where there is a comorbid disorder, such as depression or anxiety, these can be so treated).

In short, while the plight of the autistic in Italy is sad indeed, it seems to be exacerbated, if not outright caused, by ill-informed "experts" like the one who wrote this op-ed piece masquerading as an article.

http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/monaco/autism/IMGSAC.shtml

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=35027

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 144835.htm

It is still in research mode, but I would think autism is hereditary. Especially viewing the children of parents who are autistic tending to have more mental and developmental problems than their parents.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Scientists are stupid.

....And strangely prone to the bias of whomever is funding them :lol:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Scientists are stupid.

What scientists? This article uses the word "scientists" once or twice without referencing any actual research, or even names of scientists. The total absence of sources is preventing me from taking the article seriously.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:09 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Scientists are stupid.

What scientists? This article uses the word "scientists" once or twice without referencing any actual research, or even names of scientists. The total absence of sources is preventing me from taking the article seriously.

AUTISM IS GENETIC!! !! !! NOT A MENTAL ILLNESSSSSS!! !! !! 8O

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:45 am

Not all scientists know what they're talking about. :roll: They probably want to come up with an original (but fallible) idea more than anything.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

23 Apr 2008, 7:12 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Not all scientists know what they're talking about. :roll: They probably want to come up with an original (but fallible) idea more than anything.

I'll bet 200 posts that the next article like this will claim that Autism is called be eating cat crap.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

I'll bet 200 posts that the next article like this will claim that Autism is called be eating cat crap.

What? A reference to toxoplasmosis?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:35 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Scientists are stupid.

Sorry, that was intended with some sarcasm...

"Scientists think autism is part of the mental illness family!"
"...'Scientists' are stupid, then. Because it's not."

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

Here here LeKiwi, WELL SAID noooooo way is it a mental illness. If that is the opinion of science then my respect has waivered!! !

When we anyone LISTEN! TO USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !! 8O

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:48 pm

jelibean wrote:
When we anyone LISTEN! TO USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !! 8O

I don't suppose they will if we get labelled as mentally ill, they will consider us as sick and therefore not of sound mind and therefore not capable of rational thought.