Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:10 pm

Let's talk about yawning, shall we? I recently read that starting to yawn when somebody else yawns is a sign of empathy, but I doubt it. I'm not very empathetic, but I often get "infected" by another person's yawn.

I yawn a lot in general. Not just when I'm tired, but when I'm bored, when the air is stuffy, and when I'm nervous. That's the weirdest thing: When I'm really apprehensive about something, I start yawning non-stop. Anybody else have the same problem?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:22 pm

I suppose the air pressure in your ear would certainly be equal to the outside pressure then.

I force myself to yawn or swallow spit when changing altitudes/elevations. I don't fly, but there are hills and valleys where I live.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:30 pm

there is a recent theory that yawning is meant to keep your brain from overheating, much like a computer fan. :) I think that sounds feasible, as the only time I seem to yawn is when I'm struggling to think.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:49 pm

Icheb wrote:
Let's talk about yawning, shall we? I recently read that starting to yawn when somebody else yawns is a sign of empathy, but I doubt it. I'm not very empathetic, but I often get "infected" by another person's yawn.

Yes, yawns are contagious for me. My boyfriend & I trade "the yawnies" back & forth sometimes, jokingly accusing each other of having given yawniness to one another.
Thread I started awhile back-
http://asdgestalt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1527
Read articles that claim people (or at least children) with ASD's are less (or not at all) susceptible to the contagious effects of (seeing another person) yawning. Saw it on Yahoo news but anyway, here's another place I found it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/sep/10/yawn
Icheb wrote:
I yawn a lot in general. Not just when I'm tired, but when I'm bored, when the air is stuffy, and when I'm nervous. That's the weirdest thing: When I'm really apprehensive about something, I start yawning non-stop. Anybody else have the same problem?

Not that I'm aware of.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:56 pm

Belfast wrote:
Icheb wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.

Yet Sophist stated in your thread, "Anybody ever notice that sometimes if you stare at a cat long enough they'll finally turn away with a yawn? I wonder if it's a nervous reaction for them..." Perhaps I have something in common with cats, then. :)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:03 pm

I read that article too, but I catch yawns just fine.

Washing the dishes always makes me yawn a lot, for some reason. Maybe it's something in the soap.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:11 pm

I read somewhere that dogs yawn as a sign of confusion. Having observed mine with that in mind it seems to be true.

Amongst people I find yawning very contagious. In a large group of people a yawn seems to propagate continuously like a Mexican wave, never stopping once started.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:17 pm

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T YAWN!!

hehe :D

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:07 pm

I wonder how many of you got this information out of the article from the new popular science magazine? because I just read about the whole yawning thing in there

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:21 pm

Icheb wrote:

I think what you read Icheb is rather suspicious... :? I yawn when Im tired. Yawning is something that only mammals do.
Its something to do with increasing oxygen to the brain. Personally, I yawn like a Seal :lol: That its, whenever I make a wailing noise during a yawn it feels like a release.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:59 pm

Icheb wrote:
Belfast wrote:
Icheb wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.

Yet Sophist stated in your thread, "Anybody ever notice that sometimes if you stare at a cat long enough they'll finally turn away with a yawn? I wonder if it's a nervous reaction for them..." Perhaps I have something in common with cats, then. :)

Like Biscuit-
?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

Icheb wrote:
Belfast wrote:
Icheb wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.

Ha, the majority of our cats just stare back at us and twitch their tails. A few of them yawn though.

KingdomOfRats, your cat is very cute.

I used to yawn a lot when I was younger. I counted something like twenty one yawns in the first ten minutes of math class a few years back, and I know it used to be a problem when I was serving on the altar. I've gotten better about it (of course, I just yawned now) as I've gotten older.

Three years!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:31 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
Yawning is something that only mammals do.

I've owned oscars (fish) and anoles (reptiles) that yawned. It's weird when oscars yawn because you can look right down their throat 8O

Oh, birds yawn, too.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:35 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
I wonder how many of you got this information out of the article from the new popular science magazine? because I just read about the whole yawning thing in there

*raises hand* :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

I doubt yawning is an empathetic thing, because I have almost no sense of empathy and yet I yawn like crazy whenever somebody else does it. Also... I yawn when I read about yawning. Anybody else start yawning while reading/responding to this thread? :lol:

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:42 pm

oddly enough, I haven't yawned yet. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't. still haven't........