A question concerning high functioning AS and stims.........

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 2:31 am

Pithlet wrote:
For the most part I had been under the impression that people with AS are highly capable speakers,...

On a set topic, i.e., rote memory, the individual with AS will sound like the "little professor". They run into difficulties in putting other thoughts to words in relation to things they aren't interested in, open ended questions; discussing feelings, etcetera.

Not everyone with AS experiences such above, but it's common.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 6:11 am

My cognitive ability is as high as it can pretty much be in a person. I "get" everything. To be honest with you, I don't know many people who have such high cognitive ability as I do. I can always spot lack of common sense in most people, but I keep it to myself. I'm really thinking that I would fall into the PDD NOS type autism now. I'm probably equivalent to someone who has the highest possible level of Aspergers. My "problem" prevents me from being able to get a job (due to anxiety), so it does affect my life in a big way. If I could somehow dodge this obstacle, I could start my life. My communication skills are great, since I understand people so well. I really think that I could manage to live a happy life. I don't really know why I haven't bothered trying to look for a job for so long. I'm not sure if it's because I am scared, or if I just have gotten into the routine of not having a job for so long.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 6:18 am

Is it possible for a person with HFA who "stims" have his/her stims wax and wane? If I can force myself to not "stim" for over a week or so (this is difficult, but I've done it a couple times) I can actually not stim for months. This is rare, and has only happened a couple times in my life. I think that I become "addicted" to not performing the "stims" (it becomes routine to not "stim" anymore") so I can not stim without it bothering me. Eventually I start stimming again (sometimes after months) after randomly feel the urge to stim again. After I stim just once, it screws everything up and I must start "stimming" again. Usually when my "stimming" starts up again, it goes full-throttle (metaphor) because I've been withholding it for such a long a time.