Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 1:29 am

How much fastidious are you? This goes hand in hand with rituals: After all your choices in food, clothes, down to toothpaste and shoelaces sound important because they all help you to feel the environment as a home, exactly like rituals. You feel a stranger here in this world and you do what you can to fix in very stable way your consumption choices.
As for me I am particularly fastidious with food choices and beverages, bed preparation, use of fonts in writing, seats in bus or train an probably other things that may come to my mind.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 2:53 am

I've always been extremely fastidious, in so many ways that I can't count them all. As a child, I refused to wear shorts, and to this day, I've never worn blue jeans. (Black jeans are ok, as are overalls.) I hate sweatshirts and find the fashion of wearing a dress shirt over a sweatshirt awful - I always had to wear either a sweater over a short-sleeved shirt or a sweater vest over a long-sleeved shirt. I can only sleep in cotton pajamas. I don't like boxer shorts, or boxer shorts-type swimsuits. For most of my childhood, I absolutely had to drink orange juice for breakfast, then it switched to peppermint tea, and then to regular black tea, but only certain brands. (I almost died in camp when we got hot chocolate for breakfast!) On the bus, I usually try to sit in the next-to-last seat on the left side. I always clean my flat in the same order. I could go on forever... :roll:

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 8:29 am

Much fastidiousness comes along with ritual. I don't know about religious rituals directly, but I suppose that when the communion is administered with wine, the wine, while not particularly good perhaps, must be kept in a protected place. In my case, I have to listen some rock music at dinner. It must be good rock, if possible, but it couldn't be jazz, although generally I much prefer jazz to rock.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2008, 8:33 am

Very. I have requirements for the clothing I wear, the order of my mornings and evenings, even the way my computer is organized. It's not like OCD - or at least I don't think so - but it's just a way of having everything set up in the manner that makes me comfortable and then keeping it that way.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 9:40 am

:lol: We just moved, and the entire house is still in various degrees of disarray - except for my office. In here, everything in set up and working, all the pictures and documents hung, every action figure, hot wheels car and pez dispenser glued into it's fixed position on and around the computer monitor. It may look like a mess to anyone else, but I'd be insane already if it weren't all 'just so'.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 1:47 pm

Perhaps OCD is more negative than fastidiousness or ritualism. OCD is an attempt to allaying anxiety doing something, no matter what (washing one’s own hands, or following some other routines). Habit following or choosiness in consumption is in view of feeling comfortable or "happy at home". There seems to be more vitality than in OCD.