Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 12:35 am

I have a TERRIBLE habit of putting things in my mouth...just anything that happens to be within arms' reach on my desk, I'll pick it up and put it in my mouth, and half the time I won't even notice. I haven't swallowed anything yet, but I've ruined quite a few pencils, pens, guitar picks, erasers, electronic components, and...well...whatever else fits nicely and isn't metal.

Dunno if anyone has any tips? Gum works well enough, but I end up chewing it so much that my jaw gets sore.

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2008, 1:04 am

I would suggest avoiding stimulants like coffee, chocolate, smoking...
I also find that Jolly Ranchers are a good sub for gum. Anything you can roll around, suck on, that sort of thing.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 1:46 am

I have horrible problems with oral fixations, something is always in my mouth, always biting something, im like a tiny pitbull once i latch on i dont let go lool... Anyways heres some links you can go to, to find things to use to help you with that. I used everything ate right through things, unfortunely my hand gets the worst part of it lol... Good luck!

http://www.therapyshoppe.com/product.ph ... af9fdbd2ef

http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ ... site=10021

http://www.southpawenterprises.com/stor ... tegory.asp

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:05 am

I will chew on anything. My fingernails are so worn down cause they often become my choice.

But leather is my fave! I have a leather wallet, full of chew marks. Gnawed on mums nice leather saddle, she wanted to kill me cause the horse hated the prickly chewed up sections of leather.

But yea, pens, paper clips, anything pretty well small and somewhat malable. Caint do evil metal.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 3:09 am

I've recently gained a habit of chewing on pens.

I wouldn't really mind except that these are those cheap plastic papermate pens, and I figure I'm probably absorbing weird plastic chemicals now. It can't be good for me...right?

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 3:10 am

I'm the exact opposite. When certain things are in people's mouths that shouldn't, like pen caps and the like and all that, it gives me REALLY had anxiety attacks and I have to look away. It's not a good feeling, and that's a nasty habit.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 5:09 am

Sugar-free polo mints are my remedy of choice. Whenever I'm anxious or panicky, I suck on a polo mint :P

I used to have a glass marble which I thought was a great idea, cause I could suck on it forever and it would never go away. But now I dread to think of what might have happened if I'd swallowed it or choked on it. Yikes.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 8:00 am

things end up in my mouth too, less occasionally now, at least that I notice. Had one of those pens explode in my mouth in history class once, was seriously not cool. The teacher told me that if I left the class room I would have to take a "F" for the day because I had already used my one bathroom break that semester. Well, I took a F... it was sooo nasty.

If I have a pen cap, I'm cool. Probably chemicals though. Food probably isn't the best solution but I eat corn tortillas when I just have to have something in my mouth.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 11:06 am

I've never had the habit of putting pencils or pens in my mouth, but my nails and cuticles suffer quite a bit.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 11:18 am

I tend to chew on pens myself. I also, on occasion, chew my tongue a little. I use to chew my tongue a lot when I was younger. Sometimes I bite my lips a little. I also (at times) put my tooth in between my nails.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 11:26 am

I'm another who would occasionally chew my tongue (but not enough to hurt it) but passed onto a gum chewing phase that lasted quite a while.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 12:04 pm

AlteredEgo wrote:
I also find that Jolly Ranchers are a good sub for gum.

Unfortunately, I have geographic tongue, so anything too sugary/tart/acidic can only be eaten in moderation =/

Age1600 wrote:
Anyways heres some links you can go to, to find things to use to help you with that.

Ah, thanks =) This looks way better than putting keychains and paperclips in my mouth. I don't suppose I can find stuff like this in stores... :roll:

kip wrote:
My fingernails are so worn down cause they often become my choice.

I'm glad I never had that problem, though I do chew on the skin around my nails a lot...and usually end up with a hangnail or two :x

Detren wrote:
Had one of those pens explode in my mouth in history class once...

Ugh...yeah...ink isn't very tasty at all :x And ditto about possible chemicals in the plastic, that's probably what got me to stop chewing them.

Actually, I don't really chew anything anymore, so I guess I've improved in a way...just that need to put stuff in or around my mouth that's impossible to overcome :roll:

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 1:29 pm

I chew on pencils. I also suck on TV remotes. :roll:

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 1:32 pm

My completely NT girlfriend chews/eats packaging foam :lol: So I guess that kind of behaviour isn't necessarily just an Aspie thing...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:38 pm

Icheb wrote:
I also suck on TV remotes. :roll:

Yeah :x

It's kind of gross when other people start to grab your things and you're thinking "Umm...maybe I should clean that off..."

Almost all of my SNES controllers have the cord all chewed up ;D

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 9:05 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
AlteredEgo wrote:
I also find that Jolly Ranchers are a good sub for gum.

Unfortunately, I have geographic tongue, so anything too sugary/tart/acidic can only be eaten in moderation =/

Age1600 wrote:
Anyways heres some links you can go to, to find things to use to help you with that.

Ah, thanks =) This looks way better than putting keychains and paperclips in my mouth. I don't suppose I can find stuff like this in stores... :roll:

kip wrote:
My fingernails are so worn down cause they often become my choice.

I'm glad I never had that problem, though I do chew on the skin around my nails a lot...and usually end up with a hangnail or two :x

Detren wrote:
Had one of those pens explode in my mouth in history class once...

Ugh...yeah...ink isn't very tasty at all :x And ditto about possible chemicals in the plastic, that's probably what got me to stop chewing them.

Actually, I don't really chew anything anymore, so I guess I've improved in a way...just that need to put stuff in or around my mouth that's impossible to overcome :roll:

I just want to say, you can buy like fish tubing that goes inside of tanks at any local pet store, which works like those things on there. And theres a lot of stuff on ebay as well!