Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

I applied for a second job today. I don't need a second job but if I worked a part time job about 15-20hours a week I could pay bills with that and fund my obsession with my full time job.

Do any other aspies work 2 jobs, and how badly does it stress you out? As far as my obsession... i'm saving to build up a mustang or some other pretty quick street car.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 7:19 pm

Well not now, but I've done it in the past. On the short term, it wasn't too bad. Here is my story:
My regular job cut my hours some, they wanted to make sure they never had to pay overtime. I normally worked from 3:30pm until 10pm or 12am. (min wage, back then $4.25/ hr.) I wasn't covering all my bills, so I started working for a neighbor in the mornings. I'd work there from about 7am until about noon, 5 days a week. ($50 a week, all he could afford.)

It was only for about 2 months, but it got me by.
Yes, I know I was underpaid, but sometimes you have to take whatever you can.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 2:05 pm

devster21 wrote:
Do any other aspies work 2 jobs, and how badly does it stress you out? As far as my obsession... i'm saving to build up a mustang or some other pretty quick street car.

I worked 2 full-time jobs for about 12 weeks during a summer break from college. Didn't really stress me out - it was more exhausting than anything. 1 job was an internship writing software and the 2nd was night/weekend shift at a movie theater. Since my obsessions focus on software, I had those covered with my day job.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2008, 12:09 pm

Yeah I work a full time and a part time job. Not because I need the money...I need the routine of getting up and going to work everyday....so I work seven days a week and have been for eight years. I've tried to quit the part time one, and I don't do well with weekends (i.e. idle time).

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:39 pm

I used to have 3 jobs
vendor at soccar games and concerts
usher at concerts at a different venue
And i worked in the back room of a bowling alley

zee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:32 pm

I work many jobs, but within the same industry. For the most part it works pretty well because I don't have to worry about crafting relationships with my coworkers, and it feels like I'm being challenged on different levels. And it takes my mind off the otherwise meaningless and miserable life I would have.

The worst is the uncertainty; sometimes there isn't much work. But there's always temp agencies, so it's not that bad.

Oh, and a day planner is a MUST. Always write down when and where you're working, with travel time and any errands you need to run. Also record your hours worked in the planner.

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2008, 12:03 am

Not any more, but I did, and it was really hard - 8 hours as a telemarketer, then an hour on a bus, then 5 hours at a call centre - 5 days a week! It was only incoming calls in the evening, but I hated phones - these were the only jobs I could do available (fast food and waitressing are too much for me, and I didn't have any experience in anything). Next time I can't find a job, I think I'd rather draw unemployment money than try a stunt like that again - it lasted about 2 months and I was exhausted mentally and physically.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 4:52 am

It's not neccesarily how many jobs, more how many hours.. .

at the moment I have 3.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:44 pm

I can barely handle 40 hours of my current job. :(

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 1:52 am

hehe. .

yes, it's also all about which jobs.

I do 10-20 hours of teaching/tutoring math and science each week, which is more intense, but I love it-- but my other two jobs, they mostly needed a warm body there to take care of things occasionally. . . and I spend 90% of my working hours at those jobs (25/week +) doing pretty much whatever I want, with the blessing of my employer.

It sucks not having health insurance, but other than that, my quality of life/work is very high.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 3:14 am

9-2 work, 2-8 school, and freelance :lol:

Lindsay39
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2008, 9:05 am

Yup. Single mom....need both jobs to survive. It's hard! I am sooooo tired.