Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:10 am

for anyone who doesn't know B.D.D is body dysmorphic disorder, it basically is when you have a distorted view of yourself. Usually people with it become obsessed with a certain area like their nose or mouth and become obsessed with plastic surgery or think that by gaining/losing weight they can 'fix' this hate.

I'm the second type.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2008, 1:11 pm

I have ED-NOS and I've been quite severely Anorexic twice.
I have BDD as well.

LittleMissMuffet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2008, 9:20 am

I have ED-NOS so I have Anorexic behaviours but I'm not underweight. I'm getting treatment at the moment.

I think everyone should stay away from EDs they are hell. The only way I can make people understand what it is like is using Hitlers concentration camps as a metaphor.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:02 pm

I am a compulsive eater but I have never purged. I find that if I really like a food I lose control over how much of it to eat and eat an excessive amount. I think hormones play a large part in it.

Taking a break.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm

well i don't have a problem with this any more, i got down to lightweight and now it's just maintenance. the only thing is that this summer when i've gotten really pissed off at my parents i just didn't eat. there was one day when i had two rowing workouts and a long day of work, got home, got into an argument with my parents and got really angry, so i stayed in my room and didn't have dinner. i had only eaten breakfast that day. this isn't a big problem because i don't fight with them a lot, it's just weird that that happened, i just lost my desire to eat, regardless of appetite.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

i am almost there, i never liked eating, it's a waist of time. i am very thin for a man, 173cm(5.675ft)/59kg(130lb).

it's certainly related with the fact that i don't recognize tastes that well. once i thought i had eaten fishsticks and only later i had discovered they were actually chickensticks. or i thought i had been drinking an orange juice and only when the botle was almost empty i had looked at the name of it and it was an apple juice. i've read about this as one of the sensory issues possibly connected with autism. so eating is not a pleasure to me, it's just work.

but i like how my body looks like, i do sport a lot, and i have almost no body fat.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2008, 10:00 pm

I have been struggling with anorexia and bulimia since I was 19 and am now 23. I am currently healthy physically but not so much mentally. I started out anorexic, went from 142 to 102lbs then became bulimic and got very sick, lost my period for 4 months, hair falling out, acne all over, pale skin, I was sick. I threw up everything I ate and either ate a lot or not at all.

I recovered and now usually eat normally but I sometime have small relapses and am fighting one right now with school starting and all the stress. I think what caused it for me was my OCD/perfectionism, and my abuse history.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:01 am

I used to be a binge eater and if I wasn't emetophobic (phobia of puke.. don't laugh, its very real and very common) I probably would have purged. But I have finally got to the point that I no longer want to binge eat whenever stressful situations come up. It just made me overweight and even more depressed. Going for a walk is a better way to deal with stress, but going into the mindset to do so when you feel stressed or down is the bigger challenge.

ReineDeLaSeine14
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 5:54 pm

I'm emetophobic as well.

I have EDNOS/Anorexia and I've had it as long as I can remember. I remember feeling fat when I was seven...I still look at my stomach which I've been told looks fabulous but I don't believe them...

I always told myself "Oh I'd never get an eating disorder..." but I didn't know that I was ALREADY living with one. I don't thin I had enough awareness and none of the therapists I saw when I was younger were helpful with my social skills and one thought I deserved to be abused.

EDs can't be totally prevented. But people should be aware of what can happen and its effects.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 1:40 am

I had similar problems with cycling. I am a climber, so power to weight ratio is critical in order to be good and the first one up the climb in a race. I would totally obsess over food and weight. I would be really strict, then I would get a strong craving for some gunk food, and binge on it, like eating 4 candy bars in a row. I would feel bad that I binged, so I would go out for a hundred mile ride. I am 5'9" and was 135 lbs
At the beginning of last season I decided to throw out my scale and never weigh myself again, and eat more realistic. Since I didn't worry about eating perfect meals anymore I was able to put more thought into training and learned to be more confident in my skills. I had my best season so far and was able to stay with the best of them on the climbs.

Todd

RonPerth
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2009, 9:58 pm

Good for you, Todd. That's the way, I'm sure.
I'm in Overeaters Anonymous, to help my food issues, and it helps my social issues too. I also have an issue with my appearance and self-image, and I think I'm fat even when I'm not. I'm about 5'9" or 5'10", and about 175 pounds, which is very reasonable for a guy, expecially at 60 years. Anyway I passed by the big mirror in the pool change room one time, and saw myself, and said 'Oh my gawd, Ron, you've got to do something about yourself'. Then I realized how dumb that was; I'm just fine; and started to laugh a little at myself. The next day I was going for a 50km (30mile) training run with my running partner, and told her the story, and she laughed and said 'and what did you plan to do, Ron? Get some more exercise?' I guess I'll always have it with me, but being easy on myself, and laughing at myself a little, and the fellowship of the other OA people makes the food issues manageable nowadays.

Ron

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 5:14 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I am a compulsive eater but I have never purged. I find that if I really like a food I lose control over how much of it to eat and eat an excessive amount. I think hormones play a large part in it.

I used to be that way but some things have helped me see that my behaviors were really doing more harm than good. I was able to shift that and I am not a compulsive over eater anymore. Sure, it can stay with you.. and I wouldn't go as far as saying that I am "cured" but I am doing very well with it. I've been eating in smaller portions, listening to my body better about being full.. actually eating when I am truly hungry. I have PCOS which also caused some of the weight gain but I am taking it all off now. It feels good.

arkityp
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2009, 7:36 pm

i probably have anorexia. i only eat once a day, just to sustain myself, but i never feel like eating. i don't crave anything, and a lot of the food i used to love doesn't entice me anymore. i just lost 15lbs over the past 8 weeks and still feel i could lose more in some areas. i'm under 5'4 and 115lbs. so, maybe i am. it could be also due to forgetting to eat a lot of the time when i am obsessed/immersed in things and disregard time.

TheEvolutionOfLife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2009, 7:00 am

I chew and swallow pens and pencils.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 6:20 pm

TheEvolutionOfLife wrote:
I chew and swallow pens and pencils.

I betcha thats rough coming out the other end 8O