*How Many AS Parents on wp? Support Thread?*

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you AS parent and would you like a special support thread?
You are an AS parent and would like a special support thread 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
You are an AS parent but don't want/need a special support thread 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
You are a parent but not AS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
You are not a parent 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Other.. is there an other? 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 4:35 pm

So everybody thinks a sticky on the member's only forum? Is there a mod who can do that?

And do you think there should be a disclaimer to discourage NT parents from posting there?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2008, 4:35 pm

As per instructions; "AS-Parents Support Group" in Members Only, at:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt66773.html

Just a little corner for now for us to be hopelessly AS about parenting. :wink:

Who's going first? ! ! :) :oops:

It suddenly occurred to me that I don't like being identified as a parent. Quick, take thought to thread..............

:study:

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2008, 4:37 pm

aylissa wrote:
And do you think there should be a disclaimer to discourage NT parents from posting there?

Ok, will add to the OP. Do we need a "sticky" status?

:?:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 5:33 pm

There seems to maybe be a need for a hybrid Members Only-Parents'-Haven forum.

We'll look into it. In the mean time, topics of interest will always gravitate towards the top of the lists. The Haven might be the best place for such a thread, which is also viewable by members only.

- Emerson

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 5:43 pm

MrMark wrote:
There seems to maybe be a need for a hybrid Members Only-Parents'-Haven forum.

We'll look into it. In the mean time, topics of interest will always gravitate towards the top of the lists. The Haven might be the best place for such a thread, which is also viewable by members only.

Thank you MrMark.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2008, 5:46 pm

MrMark wrote:

Thank you. :) I think it may not be necessary to sticky it if it is really useful/of interest to people, so I'm not worried about that.

But would rather it stayed in the Members Only for the moment, if that is ok, :) because I personally don't want it to look like it will always, or even necessarily, be a call for help which is what it could look like if it were in The Haven. . Sometimes support is just having other people's stories, being understood, without needing to post a cry for help each time.

Also the Members Only Forum moves more slowly, is less loaded/posted on than the Haven I think.

But perhaps others feel differently. Which is fine too. I must confess that I didn't realise the Haven was members only too.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 6:17 pm

ouinon wrote:
I didn't realise the Haven was members only too.

I'm pretty sure, though not certain, that it is. You can test it by logging out (do you remember your password? :wink: ) and seeing what you can see.

- Emerson

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 6:21 pm

Having it be a sticky in the members only forum might be good.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2008, 6:44 pm

I voted as I did with conflicting thoughts. I am AS and I have children. I voted that I don't need such a forum. After all, my kids are grown and gone. I am no longer driving a school bus every day. I'm allowed to give my grandchildren back to their parents. That said, I think it is a good idea.

I do think it would be better as a sub-forum, rather than one long thread. Anybody coming in after it has been around for awhile is going to have to read one multi-page thread to find something related to a particular problem, hidden among many which don't relate to the help desired.

Just my thoughts.

Pops

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 6:55 pm

I think that maes a lot of sense Rifler39. I think that has happened sometimes in the Dino Cafe<--for those over 40etc.. There appear to be a few regulars who post most daily and others who jump in occassionaly and I do like the conversatinal tone...almost like a really, really slow "chat" function but I think some people see al those pages and don't feel comfortable jumping in with out reading all 900 ?

So seperate topics might be a good way to do it but would that require getting rid of one of the current forums, just to fit it in ?<----computer moron.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2008, 1:22 am

rifler39 wrote:
I do think it would be better as a sub-forum, rather than one long thread. Anybody coming in after it has been around for awhile is going to have to read one multi-page thread to find something related to a particular problem, hidden among many which don't relate to the help desired.

Absolutely. I definitely agree that if it turns out there are quite a few AS parents it would be more useful to have a forum for that reason. I don't know if there is space for one, as krex says, but it would be nice. I suppose I see a long-running thread as a temporary measure to see what response there is, whether it is enough of an issue for enough people to make a forum worthwhile. :)

Don't even know how many AS parents there are on wp. :? :?:

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 8:46 am

AS Parents Life Support topic

This is WAY overdue. I am AS and have three NT children. I cannot post in the parents discussion because my kids are all NT. I tried to get feedback from AS parents and NT kids when I first joined in December but I got very little response. Only one other member identified himself as AS with NT kids.

I have been a parent for 34 years. But I still have much to learn as I am AS. I have struggled with this duty for years, and when I decided to have another child when my first was 17 I got a lot of flak, especially from my NT daughter, that I did such a terrible job I should not be allowed to have any more children. Even my mother (who hated children) and my sister and brother (who are childfree) interfered. I am glad I did not listen. Why should I take advice from those who have not got children, dislike them in general and have a different zeitgeist anyway? :evil: I would rather read thoughts/ideas from those who have a similar orientation. 8)

Fantastic proposal, Alyssa and Ouinon. Let's get started! :D :D :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo