Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2008, 7:52 am

I've noticed that there is quite a difference between Autism coverage/charities in America and here in Britiain. In the US there is Autism Speaks and others, showing a generally 'curebe' view focusing on research and support for parents; while in Britain, there seems to be a focus (but not purely) on support for people who are actually on the spectrum. My college actively supports students on the Autistic spectrum, and spreading information to people inside and outside the college for a better understanding and acceptance. Our local MP also supports what the college and Aspie/HFA students are doing.

And I don't only see it in our colleges, it's also evident in the charities and other organisations. For example, a quick look on www.newsnow.co.uk found these sites from the UK, which are at least relatively more positive than others from the US.

http://www.epolitix.com/legislation/leg ... tism-bill/
http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... -20991672/

Plus there is www.autismni.org and http://www.nas.org.uk/, which seems much more supportive and positive than the likes of Autism Speaks.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:19 am

I see the root of the American problem in the claim and lawsuits saying vaccines cause Autism.

This produces a lot of parents who think of a large cash settlement, and not the best for their child.

These are the Parents who Autism Speaks supports, who also support them.

Since they have been the most vocal, have an ax to grind, they have dominated the debate, and shut Autistic people out.

Change is coming slowly as other points of view emerge.

The reason those who speak for will not speak with, is that what they say does not fit reality.

They had to keep the debate one sided to keep their claims and income.

Besides these two groups and their lawyers, we have people trying to make a living from the Psychology Religion. They want to see everything as something that should generate billable hours.

As expressed here, there is a vast range of "Treatment" for something that there are no approved treatments for. Blameing the person is more profitable than helping the person.

In Europe and Australia these factors do not exist, so the whole view of Autism is very different, it is treated like Autism.

Minor specialized accomidation seems to work for most of the world.

The American plan is, if a small group of people say lose the use of their legs, from tripping and falling, money should not be wasted on providing wheelchairs, but should go to lawyers to sue Gravity. Therapists should not consider mobility problems, but treat the person as being depressed.

Organizations like Cure Gravity Now, Gravity Speaks, should never listen to those who only want wheels, because the cause is not about them, but about raising money to overthrow the evil of Gravity. It is about causes, not effects.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 11:16 am

Sensitive dependence on initial conditions. I think having Lorna Wing be one of the founders of the UK organization (if I remember the details right) had to have made a huge difference, because of how compassionate she is. Had another researcher started it, the tone would have been completely different. And of course having parents start it makes a difference in terms of group focus, too.

The other thing I've noticed is that North America seems to be much more conformist than Europe and Australia, so naturally there's this terror among North American parents that their kids will never be one of the "in" group.

I hope the UK and Australia set good examples that we can follow here. I'm tired of the situation in Canada, where we have an autistic adult trying to get the goverment to stop funding the Autism Society of Canada because it's an organization for parents, not autistic people. Wonder what the status of that is?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:31 pm

there is big differences in how autistics are treated whether its britain or america.

institutions for auties/lders for example-in america,these allow a lot worse to happen than over here,and the modern ones here didnt treat all as lost causes,any UKers who have lived in one of the modern UK aut/ld institutions will have had a better experience,they're shutting them all down here now and letting smaller residential homes take over instead.

residential homes-over here,they give respect to even the most profoundly disabled autist as well as being able to support them how they need,not all staff do,but many will treat as adult regardless of how they are affected by their disabilities.
they use the social model more than the medical model,whereas its the other way in many of Americas residential homes.

in the uk,there are several organisations that are there for supporting autists-Autism Initiatives,mencap,social services [learning disability] are a few that havent been mentioned but have a lot of different services,some of them are for mixed disability.
in the UK,it's more about the social model than the medical model [accomodating and supporting over drugging and curing],but where america has easier access to meds,it's a bigger fight here to get any.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!