Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:04 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Speckles wrote:
So yeah, I really doubt it's a genetic thing. Something like noblesse oblige (which is really what tipping falls under, not generosity) is just too mallable to be a genetic thing. It makes perfect sense as a cultural thing though.

The problem is restaurants and other service jobs pay lower wages under the expectation that the difference will be recouped in tips. In other words, tipping is not optional; it is part of the cost of the meal or whatever the service happens to be. Customers are given some discretion to reward or punish the quality of service, but stiffing for adequate or superior service is really pretty much theft.

So call the cops and charge people with a crime. Oh yeah, there's no legal protection for that. But oddly there is if someone runs out on the bill. The whole setup is a BS excuse for employers to pay less than the work is worth.

(And yes I do tip, if you're wondering, because I know service professions are explicitly underpaid.)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:18 pm

Some are making a genetic argument here, and I'm wondering how serious they are. Aren't women known for being stingier tippers than men? Would you attribute that to genetic differences as well?

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2008, 7:38 pm

Dox47 wrote:
peebo wrote:
perhaps black people just generally dislike you

Out of 3 serious relationships I've been in, 2 have been with black girls, one of them lasting 6 years. I'm also not one of those people that has to say "I'm not a racist, I have X black friends!", because I don't keep track of the number of black friends I have. This is part of the reason I'm so hard on them, I know that they know better, the attitude I tend to see is "I don't have to, so I won't". If you look at the research, black customers undertip everyone, black service people included. Personally, I give them two or three chances before I lower my service level, but that's the same number of chances I give anyone. Interestingly enough, white "wiggas" and the more rarely seen "wanksta Asians" also tip poorly, just like the people that they are emulating. If you really want to split hairs, I guess you could say "people identified with urban culture tend to tip poorly", and that would be more accurate.

Nah, it's quite possible you aren't the one discriminating, but the one being discriminated against. Urban Culture could be bigoted against those in the service industry, and so refuse to tip regardless of how well they are served.

It's just important to realize that if that is true, it's a culture thing and not something inherent to being black.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm curious to see what others think, since I'm rather conflicted myself. Ignore experience in order to be absolutely fair, or push fairness to the side to be more effective?

In general, many stereotypes are demonized heuristics. I have pinpointed many blatant distortions of rational thought in my college years where people try to promote counterproductive and sub-optimal strategies in the interest of being "fair". I do not view many "stereotypes" as more or less wrong than using a rule of thumb because one finds it too difficult to arrive at a proper evaluation of the evidence. The individual is within their moral right to use a strategy to maximize their payoff at the expense of socially constructed "groups".

merr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:01 am

Do a lot of people know you're supposed to tip delivery men?? I always tip 10-15% in restaurants.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:23 am

0_equals_true wrote:
The OP smacks as having a sense of entitlement. The status quo/culture of tipping in the US is actually extremely unusual. In the UK they don't tip nearly as much. it is pretty unheard of to tip a door man or a taxi driver. In other cultures they don't really tip strangers at all, but might give gift to people who regally help them. Pull your socks up. :wink:

I don't like in the UK (thank god), and in the US, you tip. In my profession, you are paid less in the anticipation of tips, it's generally understood in this country. I'm not talking about foreigners here, though they are also a notoriously poor tipping group. After repeated stiffs, I may ask them if we are doing something wrong, and when it is explained to them they become regular tippers. The "urban element" however, knows better and chooses to stiff. I stay in the industry because I make decent money at a job that works well with my AS, but the obnoxious stiffs do get to me. I'll tell you what though, I keep track, and after a couple chances, I will actively try to lose someone's business, through methods best left to your imagination...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:29 am

merr wrote:
Do a lot of people know you're supposed to tip delivery men?? I always tip 10-15% in restaurants.

In the US that is low, 18-20+% is normal these days for good sit down service. Delivery people would like to see 15%, though a good rule of thumb is at least the cost of 1 gallon of gas. $5 is usually good on any order up to about $40 too. The other pet peeve of delivery drivers is that any delivery charge on the order does not go to the driver! The store does that so that they don't have to raise menu prices, because they are scared of losing the cheapskate market, and customers often take the DC out of the driver's tip. They keep the delivery charge, and give the driver a pittance for gasoline and maintenance.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 2:08 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Some are making a genetic argument here, and I'm wondering how serious they are. Aren't women known for being stingier tippers than men? Would you attribute that to genetic differences as well?

Well, most male and female differences are genetic, obviously. I understand that if you carry out certain tests to measure various aspects of cognitive function, then the pattern of results will be distinct for each sex. Possibly that's related to hormones. It's not a huge leap from there to speculate that those diferences could play a role in behaviour, which may include the willingness to tip. You can say the same about various races. The problem is that most people are unwilling to consider things from that angle because they're brainwashed by the media and government in the name of "equality" to believe that sex and race are meaningless.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:14 am

ascan wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Well, most male and female differences are genetic, obviously. I understand that if you carry out certain tests to measure various aspects of cognitive function, then the pattern of results will be distinct for each sex. Possibly that's related to hormones. It's not a huge leap from there to speculate that those diferences could play a role in behaviour, which may include the willingness to tip. You can say the same about various races. The problem is that most people are unwilling to consider things from that angle because they're brainwashed by the media and government in the name of "equality" to believe that sex and race are meaningless.
Oh my go- So then the reason why eastern european women are more submissive than western european women MUST be due to hormones or genetic differences. THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW!!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:28 am

merr wrote:
ascan wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Oh my go- So then the reason why eastern european women are more submissive than western european women MUST be due to hormones or genetic differences. THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW!!

I'm not trying to be mean here, but learn proper argumentation. Ascan made a valid point about the possibility of gender differences having an impact on behavior, and you made an invalid comparison about an unrelated behavior. The fact that gender differences may be responsible for one behavior, does not mean that they are responsible for all behaviors. The more submissive behavior of Eastern European women has absolutely no bearing on the generosity, or lack there of, of American women, but bringing it up allows you to get all sarcastic because you were told something you didn't want to hear, which ironically enough was partially the point of Ascan's post. This is elementary logic, something that I find notably lacking here sometimes...

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:47 am

Dox47 wrote:
merr wrote:
ascan wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I'm not trying to be mean here, but learn proper argumentation. Ascan made a valid point about the possibility of gender differences having an impact on behavior, and you made an invalid comparison about an unrelated behavior. The fact that gender differences may be responsible for one behavior, does not mean that they are responsible for all behaviors. The more submissive behavior of Eastern European women has absolutely no bearing on the generosity, or lack there of, of American women, but bringing it up allows you to get all sarcastic because you were told something you didn't want to hear, which ironically enough was partially the point of Ascan's post. This is elementary logic, something that I find notably lacking here sometimes...

not really. your argument, and ascan's argument, is that differences in behaviour can be a result of genetic differences between race/gender. ascan at least was not speaking about any specific behaviour, but making a more general point.

you never answered my previous question. are you suggesting that all black people are poor tippers, or only those who identify with urban culture. since you implied that identification with urban culture may be the deciding factor in your theory on tipping, but clearly not all black people identify with urban culture.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:56 am

peebo wrote:
not really. your argument, and ascan's argument, is that differences in behaviour can be a result of genetic differences between race/gender. ascan at least was not speaking about any specific behaviour, but making a more general point.

you never answered my previous question. are you suggesting that all black people are poor tippers, or only those who identify with urban culture. since you implied that identification with urban culture may be the deciding factor in your theory on tipping, but clearly not all black people identify with urban culture.

You may disagree with Me or Ascan's points, but Merr's argument was still totally invalid.

To answer your question though, I feel that urban culture is the real culprit in the poor tipping problem. All of the studies on the matter though, and there have been studies, have only used race. Although not all black people are culturally black, or to use the current euphemism, "urban", the culture did originate with them. I believe I did actually clarify in a previous post that the more accurate way of putting in would be that it's not that most blacks don't tip, but that most people who don't tip are black. I'm actually not even sure that I would say most, though it is definitely far out of proportion to the number of black customers that I have. If you read through some of the posts on my delivery driver's board, some of them put the numbers as high as 70-90% of their black customers who don't tip. I've worked as a driver in two different states, and the blacks not tipping thing was consistent in both, it's not regional, and it's not just me. The black girl I dated for 6 years was very aware of the stereotype, and would actually go out of her way to tip heavily because she was embarrassed by it. I do get black customers like that, the over compensating huge tip, but it's invariably from the non-culturally black person, the one you'd mistake for white on the phone.

To summarize (not just this post):

People who are "culturally black" seldom tip, regardless of race.

The majority of black people are culturally black.

Those blacks who are not black identified are aware of and embarrassed by the non tippers.

This is a sustained trend crossing geographic areas over a long period of time.

Black service people also report poor tips from black customers.

University studies have confirmed that blacks tip lower on average than other races.

Given all these things, when I take an order on the phone and the person placing the order is speaking in black vernacular English (ghetto talk, to you un-PC folks), I don't get my hopes up for a big tip. If my fears are confirmed upon delivery, they get a black mark next to their name. If they stiff me more than twice, I give them the worst service I can, same as any other repeat stiff. At least with me, they get the chance to prove me wrong, and sometimes they do. However, my snap judgment on the phone is right more often than you'd like to think.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:00 am

I don't tip too much (in comparison to others--usually 12-16%)as I've not much money to begin with.

I always give a dollar and the change whenever I order delivery pizza, which is rare because I usually pick it up now. I recall a person I know didn't tip the pizza deliveryman. Meh.

Some people are naturally cheap. Some feel they are entitled. Humility is something that needs to be taught in every grade.

After all, if your bill is $30 for a meal, you're poor in spirit if you can't give an extra $5.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:20 am

When I first heard about tipping, I thought it was greedy. Now I see there is more to it than I first though. But I won't tip for bad service. The employers shouldn't be so stingy and they should pay their staff a proper wage instead of expecting the customers to make up the difference all the time.

We don't have tipping in Australia - if we think somebody has done an extra special job, we might give them a note and tell them to keep the change.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:39 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
The employers shouldn't be so stingy and they should pay their staff a proper wage instead of expecting the customers to make up the difference all the time.

Unfortunately, restaurant owners have a better lobby than restaurant employees. In some states it's legal to pay tipped employees $2.13 an hour, it's really despicable. I don't know where this idea that the restaurant industry should be subsidized in it's payroll expenses came from, but it's ridiculous if you ask me. Some high end waiters, okay I can see if you're making hundreds of dollars in tips a night, the pittance of a wage doesn't matter. When you're a delivery driver with car expenses, the restaurants should be ashamed.

However, if you object to the tipping system so much, I'd advise you to simply not go to restaurants if and when you come to the states. If you fail to tip, it really is like you are stealing from your server, while the restaurant still pockets your money. As I mentioned earlier, waiters are often required to pay 5% of their gross sales to their support staff, on the presumption of a 20% tip. So if you stiff your waiter on a $100 tab, you've actually taken $5 out of his pocket. Now consider that foreigners are a notoriously poor tipping bunch, and there's a reason you may experience poor service in America. If you find you are getting poor service in a sit down restaurant here, it's wouldn't be out of line to discreetly pull your waiter aside to let him know that unlike those other tourists, you understand tipping. Just see if the service doesn't pick up.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:42 am

What about if the waiter keeps ignoring you when you try to get their attention? I would consider that poor service.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.