Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 2:34 pm

Aspie thing, or someone has to tell me what the heck is going on... do people on the spectrum easily pick up when another is very upset, then gets upset themselves resulting in what appears to be a mass reduction of IQ and thinking skills in all... I've seen it before and I swear it is happening again at the university I am working at.

Please, someone say something. If this is not real, it could be a sign I am actually psychotic. Telling people this sent me to the hospital before.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 5:03 pm

I don't know about "massive reduction in IQ", but when my GF is upset, I start to feel upset myself...then I don't really know what to say, so I get quiet.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 6:04 pm

Sorry bout that, I asked someone and she said things have been stressful at work in general, not because of me. Though I know for a fact I react to stress by not being able to think straight myself.

Could be kind of a bad sign I just assumed others were stressed because I was, but at least it wasn't all in my head.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 6:55 pm

Well, my IQ is high enough that it isn't THAT bad, but it drops by like 13%+. That's bad ENOUGH!

I used to think EVERYONE was like that, but I seem to be the only one really complaining, etc... Even if I AM often the one asked to do the most and given the least time to do it. After reading about other peoples meltdowns, etc... I feel that might be it. ESPECIALLY since I tend to have a lot more trouble communicating fluidly, etc... during the stress.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 7:54 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Well, my IQ is high enough that it isn't THAT bad, but it drops by like 13%+. That's bad ENOUGH!

I used to think EVERYONE was like that, but I seem to be the only one really complaining, etc... Even if I AM often the one asked to do the most and given the least time to do it. After reading about other peoples meltdowns, etc... I feel that might be it. ESPECIALLY since I tend to have a lot more trouble communicating fluidly, etc... during the stress.

Yes thats what I'm trying to talk about, if meltdowns are contageous. My boss, who I haven't even mentioned AS too keeps saying she went through the same thing I did, and other little signs like she's in her late 30's and looks 23 tops... and I swear I've caught my coworkers stimming... etc... also I've seen my relatives react this way and one of them said he figured out he was AS years ago... boy the meltdowns I have seen that man have... and I've seen the IQ drop in him too.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 8:16 pm

Angnix wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Yes thats what I'm trying to talk about, if meltdowns are contageous. My boss, who I haven't even mentioned AS too keeps saying she went through the same thing I did, and other little signs like she's in her late 30's and looks 23 tops... and I swear I've caught my coworkers stimming... etc... also I've seen my relatives react this way and one of them said he figured out he was AS years ago... boy the meltdowns I have seen that man have... and I've seen the IQ drop in him too.

WOW, What kind of job do you have? Where di you work(in general terms at least)?

Do YOU have this problem also? With ME, it only happens when I am under stress, and the major drop in ability happens when I am like SURROUNDED! Don't get me wrong, I am roughly of normal ability when it happens, but I consider that bad. And it WOULD be better if my communication isn't so bad. You know how you can be thinking ahead while you speak? Well, it is almost like I start to say one word while another is still being said, switch words, or stutter. Luckily, it usually isn't THAT noticable, and I try to avoid speaking at that point.

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 8:26 pm

I didn't have that mass reduction of IQ you're talking about, but when I was a kid and I saw someone crying, whether it was someone I was close to or someone in a movie, I would actually start crying too because it's almost like I would feel what they felt, as weird as that may sound. :oops: I still get like this sometimes, especially if everyone around me is upset or otherwise very tense. Trust me, you're far from alone on this.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 8:48 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Angnix wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

WOW, What kind of job do you have? Where di you work(in general terms at least)?

Do YOU have this problem also? With ME, it only happens when I am under stress, and the major drop in ability happens when I am like SURROUNDED! Don't get me wrong, I am roughly of normal ability when it happens, but I consider that bad. And it WOULD be better if my communication isn't so bad. You know how you can be thinking ahead while you speak? Well, it is almost like I start to say one word while another is still being said, switch words, or stutter. Luckily, it usually isn't THAT noticable, and I try to avoid speaking at that point.

I work for a bird research job, we mostly work all day in the woods monitoring birds