Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sylfa
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 9
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa

04 Jun 2008, 7:33 pm

I've noticed some people on Wrong Planet really dislike Autism Speaks. Why is that? I'm new to the Aspergers/Autistic Spectrum community. Is there some reason I should avoid this group?



roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,861
Location: High Point, North Carolina

04 Jun 2008, 7:41 pm

Sylfa wrote:
I've noticed some people on Wrong Planet really dislike Autism Speaks. Why is that? I'm new to the Aspergers/Autistic Spectrum community. Is there some reason I should avoid this group?


They want to cure people with autism, instead of just accepting us.



Sylfa
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 9
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa

04 Jun 2008, 7:49 pm

Thanks, That makes sense. ^.^ I don't think I want my Asperger's cured.... but I could sure do without the social issues. :roll:



asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,445
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

04 Jun 2008, 9:46 pm

Just a thought, but should we be attacking each other... wouldn't it be better to all work together and help each other see from different view points, no one of us can be 100% right... as no one yet has real answers for a cause..

I feel the only way forward is to unite globally, as at the end of the day we are all trying to help and feel more positive awareness is the key for us to all move forward...

I do agree some things can be more damaging to us as a whole group, but instead of avoiding these groups feel we need to work with them to help change attitudes... while I disagree with some of "Autism Speaks" concepts and quotes... overall they do in fact do an amazing job in helping many...

More of us need to stop criticizing others without knowing all the facts, and maybe put all that energy into doing some think yourself....

I have no links with Autism Speaks and never have...


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,111
Location: On I2

05 Jun 2008, 12:35 am

Sylfa wrote:
I've noticed some people on Wrong Planet really dislike Autism Speaks. Why is that? I'm new to the Aspergers/Autistic Spectrum community. Is there some reason I should avoid this group?


They are a bunch of uninformed know-it-alls who claim to know everything about Autism and yet know nothing, and trust junk science to formulate their conclusions that we're a mistake caused by vaccines or some other excuse, and we need to be fixed. They only see one type of Autism existing, and that is the kind where the child is mentally retarded, and fail to realize that some of us are perfectly fine, and are quite intelligent and capable of living (I'm HFA by the way). The parents of the Autistic children involved in this group, think of their child as a sub-human excess baggage of their lives, or at least imply that sub-consciously. They want a quick solution to 'fix the problem' by application of their own form of eugenics or just so-called 'cures', instead of committing to actually help the child cope and function in society in some way, shape or form by education and understanding. They do not even let genuine Autistics speak for themselves, thinking of all of us having no capacity to speak (ironic bigotry anyone?) and they honestly milk the public sympathy in such excessive emotional manipulation. They even go to lengths to make their child a 'product' to their cause, exploiting their child for sympathetic attention.

Makes me wonder (by the way their organization functions), if Autism Speaks is a secret financial scam to get parents to donate for a so-called 'cure', and in reality the administration who runs the group, secretly embezzles a large portion of the money for their own gain. Maybe the IRS should force them to do an audit, just to make sure.


_________________
"Have a nice apocalypse" - Southland Tales


asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,445
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

05 Jun 2008, 2:47 am

I continue to hear negative thoughts about Autism Speaks and so of course avoid, and know they have made some bad moves....

But a lot of the negative seems to be all hear say and what we think they stand for...... does any one or is there anyone who has used them, had support from them, just like to hear both sides of the coin!


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,826
Location: Adelaide

05 Jun 2008, 3:06 am

They spend millions of dollars every year on "research", and other things like company jets and catering, yet they never spend a single sent on resources that would make our lives easier.

They try to stamp out anything that threatens their message of doom and gloom.


_________________
Autism Speaks: We can haz ur moneyz, Y/Y?


asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,445
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

05 Jun 2008, 4:59 am

I have sent complaints to them myself for some of there articles, its just have not had any real direct contact with them...

Just feel at times better to keep our emeries close, I would rather help change there views than fight with them really I guess... we all make mistakes at times, just takes some of us a lot longer to realize, if I can help change a few minds of those that have it so wrong, then I feel have done some good :D

They are not really someone I would associate myself with, but feel maybe they are the sort of people we should be directing our questions too and trying to get them to see another point of view - will things ever change if we do not target these people instead of just putting them down, what good is that doing anyone!

Quote:
If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done. - Ludwig Wittgenstein


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,717
Location: Banned by Alex

05 Jun 2008, 6:20 am

While there needs to be support... the single-minded approach that seems to come from that organization rubbed me wrong from the first exposure. Are there any individuals in a leadership position who are diagnosed with the condition? Or is it a group of those on the periphery, looking in from the outside and attempting to be benevolent dictators, believing they know best for everyone. Yes, looking into contributing factors is worthwhile - but doing so to such an extreme... I don't agree. As I have said before - I don't want a cure, I want to learn how to interact better. I appreciate some of my differences as intensely or more than I suffer from other aspects. There are times when I am miserable and lose hope, wishing everything was different, but I wouldn't give up the beauty I experience either. I don't desire a mundane world, only a voice with which to speak.


M.


_________________
My thanks to all the wonderful members here; I will miss the opportunity to continue to learn and work with you.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,903
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

05 Jun 2008, 2:36 pm

The thing that I don't like about Autism Speaks, is the stuff that they come out with. It's also the NT parents who are speaking for their autistic children, instead of people with Autism speaking for themselves. I think that Autism Speaks should be called Autism Silenced.


_________________
Schultz


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

05 Jun 2008, 2:45 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Or is it a group of those on the periphery, looking in from the outside and attempting to be benevolent dictators, believing they know best for everyone.

That reminds me of "The White Man's Burden." Same sort of arrogant attitude.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,717
Location: Banned by Alex

05 Jun 2008, 2:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Or is it a group of those on the periphery, looking in from the outside and attempting to be benevolent dictators, believing they know best for everyone.

That reminds me of "The White Man's Burden." Same sort of arrogant attitude.


Well played, that is a brilliant connection to have drawn.


M.


_________________
My thanks to all the wonderful members here; I will miss the opportunity to continue to learn and work with you.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!


asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,445
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

05 Jun 2008, 3:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that Autism Speaks should be called Autism Silenced.


I tend to agree, and there is no way me or my son would want a cure, but I guess not being so seriously affected by Autism than some others, and reaitively new to being diagnosed just wanted to hear from all view points... get message loud and clear... who speaks the loudest!

Just trying to stay open minded I guess.... but still feel these are the sort of organizations we need to work with, flood there forums etc... to help change attitudes, instead of just complaining about them.

and maybe it is just one person dictating to the "flock" I guess I want to believe surly they can not all have that attitude but then again being realistic, I guess these quotes puts things back in prospective for me... sadly they are not the only people who think this way, quite narrow minded here in NZ also

Orwell wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Or is it a group of those on the periphery, looking in from the outside and attempting to be benevolent dictators, believing they know best for everyone.

That reminds me of "The White Man's Burden." Same sort of arrogant attitude.


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


Shidash
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 100

05 Jun 2008, 8:09 pm

I dislike Autism Speaks because of what others have said, but because they also support the unsafe practice of tying young children on the spectrum to dogs.


_________________
~Shidash


catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 781

06 Jun 2008, 1:13 am

Shidash wrote:
I dislike Autism Speaks because of what others have said, but because they also support the unsafe practice of tying young children on the spectrum to dogs.


This is new to me. What do you mean?