Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

30Guy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 5:21 am

Right, sometimes I think we go over the top trying to link different ailments to AS (sometimes I try and stop myself using AS as an excuse to be not good at certain things) but does anyone else on here have long-term stomach problems?

I'm sure a read somewhere about a link between anxiety and stomach problems but dunno about AS...?

Basically I've had ongoing stomach problems now for 3 years, and am about to have my second gastroscopy. So far I've just been diagnosed with Gastritis but it's not going away.

I feel like I'm wasting my doctors time (and money) when I go back to see him, I went this morning and although I rarely see him I got the impression he was exasperated with me, or maybe he was just busy.

My stomach pains/indigestion still keep me up at night which is the main problem... anyone else on here with anything similar??

Thanks & hope you're all well 8)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:15 am

yes,
have always had stomach problems,was in hospital a lot due to this as a toddler/child.
as a teen/adult,the worst it does is make am get sick,am take some strong morphine based pain killers if am getting trouble from it.

--
am dont know those labels,but would a certain diet help? avoiding certain foods/drinks and having others?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2008, 6:22 am

I nasty stomach problems come on suddenly about last June. No one could tell me what it was, but it would hurt a lot!
Finally after 4 months I went to a dietician who specializes in ASD.
She gave me a bundle of supplements including Magnesium among other things.

Two weeks later there was a drastic improvement, and it was gone totally in 4. However... I also got pregnant at that time... Not sure how that would have effected my digestive system... but it could have helped.

If you can find anyone expert in ASD nutrition though I would suggest talking to them!

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:45 am

I'm on a gluten free diet and that cured my stomach problems.

I also had to stop eating refined sugar for a while, but that was only temporary.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2008, 8:18 am

30Guy,

You’re right about stress being a source of digestive problems. If you have another gastroscopy and don't get a definitive answer then I wouldn't have any more. Your doctor may not be able to help you. You might try another doctor but that may or may not help. If you're in the US there are a couple of things to keep in mind about the medical profession. Doctors love to do tests and procedures on patients with insurance, it makes them lots of money. Secondly, be very weary of medications they might want to prescribe to you. It is likely that your doctor is being rewarded by a pharmaceutical company for prescribing its products. I'll say a little more about drugs latter on.

DIET:
Pay attention to what you eat. Read the ingredients label. Try to avoid foods that have been heavily processed, especially refined carbohydrates. Stuff like sugar, enriched white flour, and corn syrups can wreak havoc on your stomach and intestines, not to mention your overall health. Look for ingredient lists that are simple and easy to understand. Products that have whole grains, unprocessed oils, regular salts and seasonings are usually best. Also look to keep some fiber in your diet as well. Avoid artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, MSG, food colorings, and anything with a high sugar content. I find a good rule of thumb is to not touch anything with a very extensive ingredients list. If it takes over 50 words to describe what’s in a food product then it's probably junk.

DRUGS:
Try to avoid pharmaceuticals. Most of the new drugs that are now available have minimal or no effect for a lot of negative consequences. I'm thinking mainly about toxicity here. I'm not talking about something like morphine, a well known pain-killer that KingdomOfRats mentions above, but this new wave of "wonder drugs" that can supposedly cure anything. In most cases people are better off trying to cope with their ailment by adjusting something else or just putting up with it. I think you really need to get significant benefit from taking a prescription drug to justify its costs, both in terms of money and health.

Hope this helps.

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2008, 8:37 am

I've had to avoid milk products like the plague since I was about 16. I also have to avoid things with a high acidic content when I'm stressed out. So between avoiding tomatoes and milk products my diet can be a little bland at times.

Rooby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2008, 8:53 am

My non-aspie child has severe reflux. As a baby it was almost undiagnosed but I was a smarter mama and knew about the diagnoses of silent reflux. GERD can be your problem. Yes stress can trigger it. So can diet.

Stay away from things with peppermint/mint in them and caffine. The other diet advice given I have to agree with. Look into gluten sensitivities and milk sensitivites.

It can be a stuggle to figure out what is causing stomac troubles. Some times I think it is because they don't know.

I don't necessarily think AS is the cause of your stomac problem.

If you have been on an antobiotics get a probotic. That can really help "right" a system that might have gone amuck. My daughters tummy acts up more after a course of antibotics.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:23 am

I started getting bad stomach problems in 98/99 when I entered H.S. They could never find any reason for it.

I think it is just stress.

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2008, 11:59 am

Rooby wrote:
Stay away from things with peppermint/mint in them and caffine.

When I catch my stomach acting up if I catch it in time and have a cup of mint tea/peppermint it knocks it right out--something in the peppermint is soothing. I believe that it's been used in traditional medicine for a long time for that purpose. Could be wrong, forget where I read that.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:30 pm

I was getting gastric reflux about 12 years ago, and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, theres not really to much a doctor can do , but what I have been doing is to not eat late at night, which has helped, I am still not to sure of gluten free diets, but I might give it a try one of these days, since I do notice a spike in my blood sugar levels after eating bread. There is no way I could give up having tea or the occasional coffee, got to have some vices in my life.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:57 pm

Yeah, tons. Mostly stress-related.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:56 pm

silly_rabbi wrote:
Rooby wrote:
Stay away from things with peppermint/mint in them and caffine.

When I catch my stomach acting up if I catch it in time and have a cup of mint tea/peppermint it knocks it right out--something in the peppermint is soothing. I believe that it's been used in traditional medicine for a long time for that purpose. Could be wrong, forget where I read that.

Yes,it's not only traditional medicine that uses peppermint,my doctor recommended it for digestive problems. Not to say that it'll benefit every particular case.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:18 pm

I had a stomach ache this morning from eating six breadsticks yesterday evening. Meh, I need to gain the weight anyway.

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2008, 4:19 pm

I have a very sensetive stomach. :?