ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 19 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A person who has been through adversity usually is better at helping people who have been through adversity.

It's sort of the same principle, in a way, with the fact that a "pure" species who doesn't go through trials and mutations will, inevitably, become extinct because they just can't handle even a slight deviation from the "purity."

If one is sheltered from adversity, and lives a charmed life, any adversity hits them like a Mack truck.

And sometimes, someone who has faced many adversities can suddenly be hit by a Mack truck.
The trials and mutations can also take their toll.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 11:17 am

But at least they've acquired the sinew (and armor) of Experience to, perhaps, offset the worst of the pain.

Adversity creates learning, which creates strategies.

But the impact of the Mack truck still sucks just as much.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 11:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But at least they've acquired the sinew (and armor) of Experience to, perhaps, offset the worst of the pain.

Adversity creates learning, which creates strategies.

But the impact of the Mack truck still sucks just as much.

It certainly does suck.
The learning is there and so are the strategies.
It is being able to dig deep enough to find them.
Sometimes they get mislaid.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 11:45 am

Here's a hug

{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Here's a hug

{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}

Aw fanks Kraftie - that should keep me going for a while.

katdances
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2018, 2:15 am

So if it's very likely that I'm going through depression (who knows for how long) and I've no money but I do have a credit card, maybe I should just reach out to a therapist and charge it to that? I'm already stressing about money right? :|

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 2:24 am

debt above a certain variable level is a compound stressor, it is like a sword of Damocles hanging over one's head. don't go into debt unless you have no other choice.

katdances
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2018, 2:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
debt above a certain variable level is a compound stressor, it is like a sword of Damocles hanging over one's head. don't go into debt unless you have no other choice.

I'm already in debt but it's nothing massive, even at that level I can't seem to make money to pay it out yet so maybe then just wait until next week than I go back to exercising and see if that changes anything?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 2:31 am

katdances wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm already in debt but it's nothing massive, even at that level I can't seem to make money to pay it out yet so maybe then just wait until next week than I go back to exercising and see if that changes anything?

why wait to exercise? you can do it whenever you wish if conditions [weather, your physical condition] allow. if you feel up to it, you can even do it indoors. the Canadian forces daily dozen is a good place to start, with one repetition of each exercise at moderate speed until you can work up to more.

katdances
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2018, 2:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
katdances wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

why wait to exercise? you can do it whenever you wish if conditions [weather, your physical condition] allow. if you feel up to it, you can even do it indoors. the Canadian forces daily dozen is a good place to start, with one repetition of each exercise at moderate speed until you can work up to more.

I just enjoy swimming so much more! But what you say is true and a good idea. Just looked it up, let's see if I give it a go tomorrow morning. Thanks!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 3:00 am

katdances wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
katdances wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I just enjoy swimming so much more! But what you say is true and a good idea. Just looked it up, let's see if I give it a go tomorrow morning. Thanks!

you're welcome :) I useta swim about a mile most evenings after work, it kept me sane. :) I hope you can swim as well again, that's the best overall exercise IMHO, whole body conditioning plus the soothing waters.

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2018, 1:14 am

I wrote down everything that makes me me ... and I read it every day.

Trust me, it works.

papercraneheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm

Depression: I knit, fold origami, play a relaxing game, bake for my coworkers, do my skincare routine, curl up on the couch with my husband and watch Monty Python or anime.

Self esteem: still uh. Still working on that one. When I can get motivated, going to the gym helps!

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2018, 5:53 pm

Autism and low self esteem/confidence are linked. It is very challenging to rewire the brain and build self esteem/confidence if you are Autistic.

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2018, 12:34 am

Aspie19828 wrote:
Autism and low self esteem/confidence are linked. It is very challenging to rewire the brain and build self esteem/confidence if you are Autistic.

But not impossible.

I know ...

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2018, 2:49 am

"If you can not love yourself, you are incapable of loving anyone else."
Low self esteem/low confidence/social awkwardness/introverted/shy fearing social rejection, humiliation, embarrassment.
I fear saying the wrong thing in social situations and I rarely engaging in conversations. I have avoided talking to people out of fear.