ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 16 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

^^^ shucks. :| was hoping for more of a choice besides The Rump and Billary. ;)

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm

^^Well just to improve the menu I'm pouring over, either 100% Mexican beef, or a Hilary Rump Kebab workshop.

I think Ill plump for the take out steak option and nacho's, tortillas anything that adds some more foreign flavour to an over sized rom com boarding pass. My options for either are limited, whether I eat in, or take out. :o :?

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 9:28 pm

OK, so this isn't going to be very helpful probably to a lot of people, but MEDS people. MEDS.

Meds and interaction with people.

Poor motivation

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 5:48 pm

Another last Sunday post. When the E.U decides its going to choose another dress code,/uniform, I'll be purchasing a double blow torch. Wow, Now I feel better. The U.K will experience some rays of sun this month, the last of many in a long British recovery.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 5:59 pm

"dress code/uniform"? are you in some kind of government service?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm

Well, put it this way. If I was a government official, I certainly wouldn't be flying my banner around in 28 different state countries,..or in unofficial state openings.

Todays forecast for America's future.

Our chancellor needs work experience and the P.M needs a new handshake. When you mix that formula and add it to the Russian federal Roulette wheel, you have a deadly weapon which undermines all reasonable powers that be. This is classic state fame syndrome. (The same in my country and needs to be recollected and convened better.)

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 5:58 am

I've coped with depression since 1999, when my dad died from lung cancer, by playing video games. When Jackie and I fell in love with each other, my depression ended until 2011 when my mom died, but life with Jackie was still good. Jackie bought me Mass Effect for my birthday then and that helped. Then Jackie got fired and sued by a scapegoating employer and Jackie became too depressed to work anymore, though she tried a few times. Then after her probation ended, she left me the same month and hasn't really spoken with me since, what little correspondence from her emails I have are all spelled correctly and sound like they're written by her control freak brother, so they probably are. During the first month since she left, I stopped eating for three weeks and just couldn't do anything. Later on, though I hate welfare, I applied for unemployment and the nepotism infested plastics factory I worked worked for almost every single day in a row was required to pay out over $8,000 to me and for 6 months I was able to pay rent and buy food and finally bought myself an Xbox 360 and a few games I've always wanted to play. So, distraction by video games is my main coping method. I've tried to write a novel and they all just turn into letters for Jackie. When I played Halo 3 and 117 and Cortana were reunited, I thought of Jackie and cried. Whenever I play Fallout 3 and Ink Spots tunes like "I don't want to set the world on fire" play, I think of Jackie. Jackie just needs to come home, that would stop the depression and I'd never complain about her or ever say anything that would hurt her feelings again, though it would be nice if she'd help with the housework I'm just going to keep silent rather than say anything that might hurt her feelings again. I love my lady who married me, I do. Jackie, I do love you, come home already.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 6:39 pm

One day, depression will bite back the hand that feeds it. Like watching gun crime in America, neurotically Chicago, the other day, and thinking, there are more deaths here, than a blind man walking his dog every day watching the world go by(in his mind) and instead of following his way to some steak hut, he walks backwards into a dead corpse thinking, 'This aint the movies, this real man.' Well, that mans hand will need to be forensically examined including all bullet holes.
The police are so cruel, and yet when real abuse is taking place, like someone sitting up in Trump Tower, surveying all his pillaged victims no ones got the guts to shoot the air and spit in the fleabags eye. Apart from an x number of A listers.(Mr De Niro) So, the big q I guess is will America vote for an Apprentice, or an apologetic emailer who on both counts are arguing and bargaining for the will of the people?
The biggest travesty is losing the healthcare system but then who wants a lower paid premium anyway? The alternative is a shortfall of funds and taking on zero hour contracts out on junior doctors who knew what they signed up for in the beginning, only that is becoming the last say on all privy circumstances that are set to damage future economic interests in our social climate. Who says? the belligerent eye of the Brussels lockdown dispute over our latest departure or the next one in the final throes of our empathic success?
The most humble thing to do, is to go quietly and resist the temptation to follow suit on bad eco management and foreign stoppage signs that lead to the last curtain call that signals Brexit for good.
The West have to grow up and the middle East need to stop throwing tantrums and get with society. Peace Out.

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2016, 6:08 pm

I have dealt w/ depression on and off and I had suffered from low self esteem from time to time. Whenever an episode hits I usually try to distract myself from watching TV to listening to music and even spending time w/ my dog. Other times I would talk to my mom write it out on my phone's notepad and last resort it's just best to cry it out. Also I would take a sleeping pill now and then to help me sleep and temporary I feel like I'm forgetting my problems. Being productive whether it's doing volunteer work or school work can help if it's not too stressful. Finally for me self care like taking a bubble bath can really help me relax.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 6:33 pm

^^^hi jewels :) welcome to the club 8)

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 6:36 pm

Quiet places help. So do blankets.
...Though I guess that's more of an anxiety thing.

Sometimes sleeping helps, especially when you're tired, and really sore, and really sick of something. Just.. sleep, and you can think about it better in the morning. 8)

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2016, 2:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^hi jewels :) welcome to the club 8)

Thank you :heart: :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:45 pm

^^^you're welcome :flower:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Dec 2016, 6:08 am

Been pretty down over the holidays right after school and really am falling apart routine wise. Falling into some unhealthy habits, really fatigued, increasing anxiety, some pretty intense introspection and some not so nice thoughts that won't leave me alone sometimes. I take medication, I self medicate, it stops me from really falling down into a hole I can't get out of but how much it helps I really don't know. Depression issues seem to get progressively worse, they're powerful feelings and I just feel less in control of my life in general. Without going too much into my family's business, I'll say that I have close a family member that is bi polar or schizophrenic that is really struggling right now and it hard to deal with especially when I have issues myself so the support system we share is really overwhelmed to say the least.

I really need to work on my self esteem and getting out of the rut I've been in the short and long term, it's hard with not so much money and having to go to school. I sometimes feel like if I progress in one area I stagnate or even regress in another, I've gotten all A's in my classes since going back to school but going full time is too much and I really haven't challenged myself with the subjects that I struggle with the most like math which I have to take like all the remedial classes for. It's really overwhelming and I don't feel like I can do anything else while focusing on school, socially things are as bad as ever and it's really hard for me to switch from thing to thing. I just wish I could get my hands on a little money so I could pursue some better hobbies which could maybe then at least help with my self esteem and maybe be able to be shared. I always want to do and try things that aren't accessible to me, it's frustrating. I don't feel comfortable or secure, getting worn down from the grind. Really could use some luck in my life.

namesalltaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2017, 6:05 am

Thinking about this topic again, because it became relevant. My coping is effective enough that anx/depression is perfectly stable in ruining my life (but not completely, more on that later)

My coping strategy (in rough order of effectiveness)
1. Talk to people, about anything - from a tv show/anime to the weather to technical topics [in the case of people interested in that kind of thing]. For the more athletic among you, sport can work as well, but the only sport I'm any good at is dinghy racing (aka sailing).

2. Exercise (walk 12 miles or so, is a good solitary activity), probably fortunate that my city is safe enough to allow for undirected exploration, again if there are people to walk/hike with, it's about 50% more effective.

3. Escapism (a book, audiobook, tv series, movie, game, webcomic, manga, anime) I still have a lot of stuff acquired from the college sneakernet (swapping hard drives, when broadband internet was still a novelty, and unlimited data didn't exist)

4. Radio, anything live or studio (at least someone talking every now and then), also podcasts.

5. Reading technical articles/newspapers (though they are a bit depressing atm)/ scientific papers/ blogs/ documentaries.

6. Rest, hydration, food (well these stop the downward spiral because in my case depression suppresses appetite)

7. Tons of other tricks that I'll think of later (mindfulness, quiet contemplation, survival instict as a motivator, building resilience during the 'normal times' - even a little is priceless)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So that's what works in my case, but (here's the problem) it means I devote a lot of time to just maintaining a state of mental heath. It means a lot gets neglected. I can spend month(s) just sitting on the edge of complete psychological collapse, which means I live day-to-day and suddenly a whole quarter of the year vanishes, just like that.

Certainly I keep the rent paid, lights on, and finances in order, I have no addictions or dependency but that's it. It's hit the point where I no longer grasp the concept of 'want' (I have 18mo salary in the bank, because I literally don't want to buy anything, but it's not just material, when I'm "the future" beyond tomorrow is purely hypothetical ).

What this all means is, I will always hold back on the 1%, the non-essential, and by the time I finally figure this life out I'll be too old for any of it to matter (provided my country hasn't been annihilated by blindly following the US into a nuclear war in the meantime).

I don't think I will ever talk to a psychologist about it though because the vulnerability I feel in revealing my inner identity is immense. (In reality i am strongly emotionally affective and empathetic, which makes one a sitting duck in a schoolyard, so I learned to hide this).
The risk is, if I place trust and that trust is betrayed, it would be quite destructive for myself (the situation as a patient is different to that of a friend or acquaintance where trust is gradually built up).

That (as i've come to realise this year) has also helped keep me out of relationships (that is not the topic of this post though).

Now that I typed all this, I'm going to delete it, aw what the heck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:17 am

^^^^i'm glad you decided to keep it in print here :wtg: