ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 17 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:17 am

^^^^i'm glad you decided to keep it in print here :wtg:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm

Cat videos-they're cute and make me laugh

Reading inspirational articles about Denis Istomin. When I saw what he went through to succeed on the ATP tour, I was really amazed.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm

I often listening to Native American music as it often reminds me of the times I spent with my grandparents and always felt comfortable and human, without sounding absurd. In fact, here is an example of such which helps me to relax, by the way you need not have Native American ancestry to enjoy it.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2017, 1:44 pm

Usually when I get depressed I go for walks by myself or with my dogs. Reading helps a bit, I usually read positive quotes on Pinterest. Oh and take a bath with some essential oils in it and some calming meditation music to go with it. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 7:42 pm

jay leno's garage always perks me up :)

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 7:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
jay leno's garage always perks me up :)

kinky

bewell
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2017, 5:52 am

Change the way you think. This is really hard but with the help of psychological books easier. Also some sports. Not running 10 km, better swimming. Also spending the time lying in the park under the sun ( the true vitamin D against the depression). Also spending time in the park on in the wild. CAREFULLY: any alcohol, any hang out with the negative people. ALSO: If you have medium or hard depression you have to go to the psychiatric.This form is very dangerous and needs some medical treatment. This all is according to depression for a long period of time and are not interesting doing something. Then you have to take some medical treatment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 5:59 am

hard work seems to chase away the blahs and the blues.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2017, 7:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Yeah hard work but meaningful. I could never be a counsellor cause I couldn’t see the results immediately and it would feel like a waste of time to me but definitely could pack a Christmas hamper or paint a room for a teen shelter etc gives a nice dopamine hit. So hard work but different for everyone?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 8:58 pm

Cat23 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yeah hard work but meaningful. I could never be a counsellor cause I couldn’t see the results immediately and it would feel like a waste of time to me but definitely could pack a Christmas hamper or paint a room for a teen shelter etc gives a nice dopamine hit. So hard work but different for everyone?

yup :idea: for me it is a combo of walking up and down steep hills followed by calisthenics, combined with digital audio restoration tasks, but for you it might be something else altogether. but the physical part is important.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

Usually when I get depressed I think and think and think and worry a lot. It doesn't help.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:22 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Usually when I get depressed I think and think and think and worry a lot. It doesn't help.

rumination is seldom helpful in these cases, I have found. "action is the antidote to despair."

Cat23
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2017, 12:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

rumination is seldom helpful in these cases, I have found. "action is the antidote to despair."

Oooh that is profound! Good quote :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 12:15 am

Cat23 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

yes, a gem from joan [baez].

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
Cat23 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I took action today and called to make an appointment with a counsellor.
Suddenly I have to put my hand up and admit this is a severe depression and it's not going away.
I have all the tools and training but cannot 'fix' or 'sooth' myself.
WP has been keeping me afloat and for that I am grateful.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm

Temeraire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Cat23 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I took action today and called to make an appointment with a counsellor.
Suddenly I have to put my hand up and admit this is a severe depression and it's not going away.
I have all the tools and training but cannot 'fix' or 'sooth' myself.
WP has been keeping me afloat and for that I am grateful.

Good job! Take action!

I saw this guy on Aussie TV last night he had had a rough time had PTSD from being in the army then was a farmer for a few years lost everything (I assume in drought) he was I assume suicidal he had to spend a year in hospital, then he setup a organisation which goes to farmers in the outback delivering them food and and supplies when they’re going through a rough time. He said something which rang true “when things get really bad go out and find somebody who is doing it tougher and help them”.

Maybe u are that someone maybe someone needs u! Maybe u could concurrently help someone while u get help (u don’t have to be 100% to pack a Christmas hamper for a child etc in our crew there was a seriously depressed woman off work for years and she ran rings around the rest of us).