ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 16 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:37 am

Find yourself a hero with high self confidence that you already have some stuff in common with and emulate them, that's how I did it.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm

If you are a perfectionist redirect your perfectionism from focusing on perfection of your results to focusing on perfection of the effort you give towards life.

Drop expectations that society has placed on you. Forget about telling yourself that "I should have this" or "I should be here or there" or "i should have acccomplished this or that by such and such a point in my life".

When you expect nothing from life you make room for happiness and enjoyment of what you have.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 11:13 pm

Noca wrote:
If you are a perfectionist redirect your perfectionism from focusing on perfection of your results to focusing on perfection of the effort you give towards life.

Goood!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 8:50 am

Drawyer wrote:
Noca wrote:

Goood!

Are you a perfectionist or what? 8O

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

Does this thread get hijacked very often?Image

Anti-War protest in London, September 2002. Organised by the British Stop the War Coalition, up to 400,000 took part in the protest

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 9:33 am

Here's a conversation from my book:
Subaru: Why are you so hard on yourself?
Hiro: I am always that way.
Subaru: Yes, but what good does it do you? None whatsoever. However, being nice to yourself is an extremely good thing.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

WinterPerson
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2015, 10:25 pm

The way I deal with my depression and low self-esteem is listening to music. Music is an integral part of my life. I wouldn't know where I would be without music. Also, I go to the library and get some exercise. Beats sitting and feeling sorry for myself. Remember, prayer to a Higher Power ALWAYS works and some inspirational quotes do not hurt either. I have been depressed on and off since 2001 and I know with a combination of medication, talking with my family, and music that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Quote:
Many too many have stood where I stand. Many more will stand here too. -Genesis

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

06 Dec 2015, 6:02 am

This topic is relevant to me. I am a target for an elderly aunt's rage. Thanksgiving was a nightmare. She could barely control her hate and contempt. I did my best to deflect it. But, it hurt, to my very core. Every minor faux pas, attempt to be amusing or even charming was smacked down. She was spitting bullets at me the whole time. I felt like a dog's chew toy.

I do my best to avoid these situations and try to recover when I have a bad encounter.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:51 pm

I've got someone on Facebook implying that I should not be an actor and work in the crew department instead. Aye, right then.

Well - I think no one believes I'm good enough to be an actor because I have autism. They will turn me down and ask other people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:53 am

learn a new skill that provides you enjoyment or makes you money or entertains people.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
learn a new skill that provides you enjoyment or makes you money or entertains people.

A money-making skill or a Vontrapp skill? I think having both might be pushing it. I will pursue a life of good taste though I'm quite certain of that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:41 pm

Empathy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

A money-making skill or a Vontrapp skill? I think having both might be pushing it. I will pursue a life of good taste though I'm quite certain of that.

any.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Empathy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

any.

In that case I think I'll run for office. :lol: or add some adjustable workload to my tablet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 5:54 pm

ya got my vote Image

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

^^Of course, I was referring to my office skills and not parliament. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

^^^ shucks. :| was hoping for more of a choice besides The Rump and Billary. ;)