Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 4:29 pm

Excellent, Annelise! Where have you been?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 8:18 pm

I will remember William Freund and that many people here on this site tried to help him including myself too. For we will truly never know or understand him enough. This tragic event we always be with us and very much with me too. No matter what happens in the future. I hope I as I move on that I have learned enough that even I can help the next person better, for I will be taking suicide prevention courses very soon. For I think we may truly need someone that does have this expertise in handling suicide.

I think that all the people that tried to help William Freund, should not second guess themselves at all. Remember we are all just humans no matter what we did or did not do. We tried to help and that is what counts the most, that we did try are best. For that is matters the most as I see it.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 9:20 pm

AngeB wrote:
I don't have Asperger's and until I read the story about Will Freund this morning, I had no idea that there was such an affliction. Since reading the story I have done about an hours worth of research and learned a few things that might help me be more understanding of people I encounter in the future. Maybe others will learn something from this tragic event as well.
I would offer to help in some way but don't have a formal education......I am open to chatting with other females who might like a new friend. :)

AngeB, your words have moved me deeply. Although nothing can ever justify the death of three people, it is truly a blessing when something good can come out of something bad. Your attitude of care and your willingness to learn and your desire to help is very precious. Your going out into the world with an awareness of other people with Aspergers is an enourmous help; I have often experienced that 'the experts' trade in their compassion as soon as they get a formal education! Your response to these sad times has restored some of my faith in human kind, and I only hope that others can follow your lead. Thank you.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 10:22 pm

I just wanted to say- good job on your post, PhoenixKitten.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 2:18 am

I have been to some funerals before but, I never saw debating going on.
I am sure that those touched by his loss will learn something from it to help overcome the pain.
Remember, there is help, don't be afraid to ask.

What was William Freund's Avatar?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 2:48 am

I feel bad for William Freud. I remember people trying to help him out, and that (in my opinion) he still interpreted that he didn't have any friends. Maybe some aspies have trouble knowing if someone is their friend or not, since people with Asperger's tend to have trouble interacting with some people. This is of course depends how high-functioning the autism/Asperger's is. I remember in the past when I was confused and didn't know if I had friends. Maybe Will was confused as well, since so many people bullied him in middle school.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

PizzaDude
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2005, 3:07 am

It looks like WrongPlanet isn't the only forum effected by Will's death...

Apparently, Will posted something on the SomethingAwful forums a little before his death.

WARNING: Crude language if you are offended by that kinda stuff for some reason

Don't know if this has already been posted. *Shrug*

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 4:26 am

PizzaDude

Good research there for sure. Even they are sacred too.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 4:56 am

It looks like we are the only responsible forum out there. That SomethingAwful forum actually gave him advice on what kind of ammo to use. They are all trying to cover their backs on who gave him the advice first. It also looks like William was quite a forum addict - posting in quite a few places. I expect there is a similar thread on many more forums out there.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 5:05 am

Hmmm.

Warchicken.... I wonder if hes the same moron from TAU....

(edit: That is from reading the SA forums.... Warchicken and I are LONG time enemies from www.tauniverse.com)

Last edited by BlackLiger on 04 Nov 2005, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 5:06 am

Poor guy. He got really flamed:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... y&arctab=y
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... y&arctab=y

Anyway. This is the LAST post I am gonna make on the subject. Let's hope this thing blows over.

pbkolstimm
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2005, 3:44 pm

no more Robert Frost, It depresses me more than Edgar Allan Poe :?

seethaki
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2005, 5:23 pm

Sophist wrote:
Will seriously needed to go to the hospital. He was also on Geodon, meaning his pdoc recognized some sort of psychosis, whether it was Bipolar or Psychotic Depression, etc. But this really isn't the time to think about blame since nobody's around to make that even an issue. Prevention is the most important consideration, for any future circumstances.

Actually, atypical/novel antipsychotics are fairly commonly used to treat various symptoms of ASDs. See:

Barnard L, Young AH, Pearson J, et al A systematic review of the use of atypical antipsychotics in autism. J Psychopharmacol 2002; 16:93-101.

Cohen SA. Fitzgerald BJ. Khan SR. Khan A. The effect of a switch to ziprasidone in an adult population with autistic disorder: chart review of naturalistic, open-label treatment. [Clinical Trial. Journal Article] Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 65(1):110-3, 2004 Jan.

Barnard L. Young AH. Pearson J. Geddes J. O'Brien G. A systematic review of the use of atypical antipsychotics in autism. [Review] [52 refs] [Journal Article. Review. Review, Tutorial] Journal of Psychopharmacology. 16(1):93-101, 2002 Mar.

McDougle CJ. Scahill L. McCracken JT. Aman MG. Tierney E. Arnold LE. Freeman BJ. Martin A. McGough JJ. Cronin P. Posey DJ. Riddle MA. Ritz L. Swiezy NB. Vitiello B. Volkmar FR. Votolato NA. Walson P. Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology (RUPP) Autism Network. Background and rationale for an initial controlled study of risperidone. [Review] [88 refs] [Journal Article. Review. Review, Tutorial] Child & Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 9(1):201-24, 2000 Jan.

[etc.]

Regardless of this, though, I strongly agree with you--an ASD/PDD alone is unlikely to account for homicidal behavior. (Antipsychotics are my particular least favorite category of psychoactive pharmaceuticals, but that's another "bucket of worms," as they say, entirely.)

That's as much as I'm going to say about all of this--for one thing, I'm not qualified to say anything more. Additionally, I'm not well equipped psychologically to deal with potential "flame" responses. :\ (Potential post-Will Freund angry gawkers/bad-intentioned newbies is what I'm thinking of, here. And, no, I'm not implying that all those who will join on account of the Will Freund incident will have bad intentions.) Hmm--I met my fiancé here--maybe some sort of "really, really *good* "real-life situations for which WP is responsible" sticky is in order... (And, no, I am in no way attempting to trivialize the Will Freund incident by mentioning the above.)

--Jennifer

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 10:53 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
. Maybe some aspies have trouble knowing if someone is their friend or not, since people with Asperger's tend to have trouble interacting with some people. This is of course depends how high-functioning the autism/Asperger's is.

I couldn't recognize when someone genuinely liked me until recently.

I guess this all very sad for you guys, best of luck in getting over it?

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 2:00 am

One that extends a lot further back, to people justifying the unjustifyable in cruelty to handicapped people, cruelty to anyone who is different, cruelty to anything they don't understand.
RES

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 2:01 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I guess this all very sad for you guys, best of luck in getting over it?
I think in time We all will be able to get over in Our Own Way.