I don't care. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 36

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2008, 4:36 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
velodog wrote:
Orwell if I can remember to I will look into this to try and make sure but I recall a Mormon Missionary clearly telling me that they do believe in the Trinity. Do you have a specific reference to LDS not believing in the Trinity? I ask because my older Brother converted to LDS about 16 years ago so I have been around quite a few Mormons. I am not arguing the point one way or another because I have found the LDS Church to be VERY inconsistent in their beliefs from their founding to the modern day.

Hmm... from what I have heard, they do not believe in the trinity in the orthodox Christian sense. So, you might have to make a distinction upon that, because if they hold to an unorthodox trinity, then they are not really trinitarians because trinitarianism refers to a specific idea of the trinity.

sorry, i know this post is old. but awesomelyglorious is correct- the LDS believe in God, Christ, and the Holy ghost, but they do NOT believe they are one in the same. they believe they are 3 seperate indivduals.
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,49 ... -1,FF.html

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

That link doesn't prove the point.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

MR wrote:
That link doesn't prove the point.

the link was because velodog said there was no clear list of LDS beliefs, and that is the summary.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 9:48 am

velodog wrote:
It is a heathen doctrine defined and promulgated by Bishop Athanasius at the Council of Nicea in 325 ad. The roots go back to Baachus Baal worship wherein the King and his wife and son were deified. I had some good papers on this from the Seventh Day Adventist church but cannot find them at this time.

The term Trinity is not in the Bible. My belief is that it can only be inferred after years of proper indoctrination. This, along with Mary Worship and the quasi deifying of Saints was deliberately done to bring polytheists/pantheists into the Pauline Christian tent.

The Trinity is certainly implied in the Bible, if not stated by that name. I for one, am not concerned with whatever the Seventh Day Adventists are saying. They just want to beguile you into joining their flock, like the Jehovah's Witnesses. The people who evangelize door-to-door are counting on the fact that they're more familiar with Scripture than you are. Your ignorance of Scripture is most useful to them in that they can tell you lies and/or half-truths and have you believe them.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 11:27 am

slowmutant wrote:
The Trinity is certainly implied in the Bible, if not stated by that name.

It isn't stated by name, and until the Nicene council, both trinitarian and nontrinitarian beliefs existed. And as for whether or not it is implied, well... a trinitarian would say yes, but a nontrinitarian would say no. For the record, nontrinitarian beliefs have popped up from time to time, including in figures such as Isaac Newton, and in movements such as Jehovah's witnesses or the Socinians.
Quote:
I for one, am not concerned with whatever the Seventh Day Adventists are saying. They just want to beguile you into joining their flock, like the Jehovah's Witnesses. The people who evangelize door-to-door are counting on the fact that they're more familiar with Scripture than you are. Your ignorance of Scripture is most useful to them in that they can tell you lies and/or half-truths and have you believe them.

Do you think that they believe they are lying? I mean, every evangelist relies on their greater knowledge of Scripture, but it seems to me that they don't think they are telling lies or half-truths.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 11:36 am

I don't care what they are saying. The trinitarian/nontrinitarian is a trivial argument, as far as I'm concerned. It's yet another way to divide people further and further. I'm happy with my beliefs the way they are, don't nedd others trying to commandeer my spiritual growth.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 2:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I don't care what they are saying. The trinitarian/nontrinitarian is a trivial argument, as far as I'm concerned. It's yet another way to divide people further and further. I'm happy with my beliefs the way they are, don't nedd others trying to commandeer my spiritual growth.

Umm.... everything that exists can divide people, but that does not mean that all of these differences should be ignored. Heck, you are the one who just attacked nontrinitarianism as far as I am concerned. Here's how:

Quote:
The Trinity is certainly implied in the Bible, if not stated by that name.

Nontrinitarianism is obviously wrong.

Quote:
They just want to beguile you

Your ignorance of Scripture is most useful to them in that they can tell you lies and/or half-truths and have you believe them.

Nontrinitarians are deceivers.

I mean, both of these comments seem to suggest that you consider the divide to be something real, and those who disagree with your stance to be stupid and evil. It also suggests that you do care about what they are saying, enough so to comment on it, and to make disparaging comments on them.