Does anyone have social anxiety disorder?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2008, 1:10 pm

That's what they tell me!

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 4:37 pm

social anxiety disorder doesnt exist. I have seen the pharmacuetical company docomentation of how they invented it just to sell drugs. It used to be that shyness was a vauled cultural trait.

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 7:09 pm

Where have you seen it? I apparently have it and they don't try to give me medicine for it...

-Me and Schuyler

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:34 pm

Not diagnosed, but I probably do have it.

acannon
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2008, 8:47 pm

nightbender wrote:
social anxiety disorder doesnt exist. I have seen the pharmacuetical company docomentation of how they invented it just to sell drugs. It used to be that shyness was a vauled cultural trait.

Do you yourself have it? I do, and I can tell you that it most certainly does exist. I developed it when I was in first grade due to being bullied, and in part because of my AS. I knew that I had it even then before I was diagnosed at 16. I didn't know there was a name for it then, but I knew that I was a lot more anxious, especially when I was around people. I am not medicated and no doctor has ever suggested that I take medication for it. I'm sure there are people who are hypochondriacs or who are misdiagnosed for whatever reason, but there are also people out there who legitimately do have this problem.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 1:58 pm

no really i saw the big pharma papers detailing how they were inventing it

let me explain something. Here is how it works, they come up with some human problem, lets say not being able to sleep one night, they then call it sudden insomnia disorder or sid, they then market the heck out of and create drugs that affect everone the same way. People then when questioned about say of course i have sid, i couldnt sleep last night,

just like with add

i have seen that the next one they are coming up with is mild depression
even though the current diagnosis catorgory requires like 9 indicators the new one will require only two

and so then people are going to be shouting i have mild depression
even though before no such creature was supposed to exist

people you need to stop allowing your experiences to pathologized
these so called diagnosises are becoming an excuse for people to not to take personal responsiblity for themselves(please note i am not calling aspergers not taking responsiblity for ones self, aspergers is a nuerologic syndrome that requires proffesional assistance0

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:11 pm

btw i am not in any way trying to dimish you having been bulled and the suffering you are enduring.
I was bullied too.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:15 pm

They didn't invent it. They're just taking advantage of it, just like snake oil peddlers have been doing since the dawn of time.

That doesn't make the problem any less real. With any problem, some people have a mild version and can deal with it, some have a sever version and can't.

acannon
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2008, 2:57 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
They didn't invent it. They're just taking advantage of it, just like snake oil peddlers have been doing since the dawn of time.

That doesn't make the problem any less real. With any problem, some people have a mild version and can deal with it, some have a sever version and can't.

This. There are people out there who legitimately can't pay attention to things, no matter what they do. Those people are classified as having ADD. I agree with you that the pharmaceutical companies market on these disorders, but most of them are real disorders, like ADD and social anxiety.

Believe me, I don't want to have social anxiety. I don't know if anyone would. It really inhibits me in a lot of ways. People generally want to have friends and be accepted, so I don't know why anyone would want to fake having something that makes it hard -- and even scary -- to be in social situations. AS at least has given me benefits like hyperlexia and synaesthesia. Social anxiety takes so many things away and doesn't give anything in return.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 3:58 pm

add didnt exist 50-60yrs ago because the enviroment was cleaner, there was an article in the journal of american medicine that mercury can cause problems with concetration, learning disorders, hyperactivity and disruptive and impulsive behaviors. You cant have aspergers and social anxiety any way the as dx supersedes the social anxiety.

Maybe real problem but not medical disorders,

dont forget one hundred years ago shyness and reserved social behavior was a valued culturalt trait.
so it wasnt a problem then.

as society changes so do the "disorders"

acannon
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

Yes I can. I was diagnosed with both by a psychologist. I used to be okay in social situations. Sure, I couldn't read body language or facial expressions, but I wasn't afraid to see someone I knew in the store. I wasn't afraid of talking on the phone. I didn't have any of these fears until I developed social anxiety, which was when I was around six -- the same time I started being bullied. I think there are lots of people who are autistic and have social anxiety. It makes sense: we get bullied for not being social, and some of us don't know how to fix it, so we get scared of being in social situations.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:47 pm

nightbender wrote:
one hundred years ago shyness and reserved social behavior was a valued culturalt trait. so it wasn't a problem then.
I've never heard of it being a valued cultural trait. It's always been a problem. There just wasn't much you could do about it. Except maybe hit the bottle. Or crawl through a sub-standard life. Or stay home, if you could afford it.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:57 pm

I suppose I used to... well, maybe I'm still a bit that way. I used to be pretty bad with SA but I gradually got better, mainly through having a job. I still have some anxiety about group situations and new people.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:20 am

acannon wrote:
Yes I can. I was diagnosed with both by a psychologist. I used to be okay in social situations. Sure, I couldn't read body language or facial expressions, but I wasn't afraid to see someone I knew in the store. I wasn't afraid of talking on the phone. I didn't have any of these fears until I developed social anxiety, which was when I was around six -- the same time I started being bullied. I think there are lots of people who are autistic and have social anxiety. It makes sense: we get bullied for not being social, and some of us don't know how to fix it, so we get scared of being in social situations.

they do that to make money,

officially more sever diagonosis supersede lesser ones. You cant have bipolar and adhd nor can you have bipolar and depression the greater one supersedes the other.

Your also missing what im saying. Their are no doubt people who are nervous around other people for one reason or another, but no such medical syndrome as Social Anxiety Disorder exists. Its not a disorder its just a problem you happen to have. Its a problem in living as opposed to a pathology.;

patypixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2008, 2:14 pm

Yes,I have,diagnosed when I was 13 and sometimes I suffer from panic attacks

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

humans scare the s**t out of me....but i try to perservere anyway x