Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2005, 9:05 am

Any fans of music from the late punk period and onwards.
I'm thinking of bands like Joy Division, The Fall, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, Talking Heads, Orange Juice, Gang of Four and etc. I'd also be interested in any other obscure labels and groups.

Renagade
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2005, 9:08 am

I'm a fan. I love Smiths and Cure.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 10:25 am

Definitely.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 5:04 pm

Lets not forget these either:

Pere Ubu, Sonic Youth,Chrome, Bauhaus, Rank and File, Butthole Surfers, Lydia Lunch, PIL, and Killing Joke

Deathmike
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2005, 5:09 pm

Ive never really understood what the term post-punk really meant. but I absloutely love some of the bands mentioned, namely Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths and Bauhaus.

Joy Division made a few impact on me when I first heard them when I was 14. the stark gloominess and near tolitarian sense of despair of "closer" really blew a lot of the stuff I had been listening to out of the water. I also really liked the Smiths at the same time beacause of Morrissey's witty and erudite lyrics and Johnny Marrs awesome talent of getting exactly the right guitar sound to accompany him. I also love The Cure in nearly every incarnation they've been in, and Bauhaus for their quirky chameloness.

other bands I like that may or may not fall into post-punk are, Siouxsie and the Banshee's, Sisters of Mercy, New Model Army and the Jesus and Mary Chain

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2005, 3:59 pm

Post-punk is rather an ambigous term but can encompass most independant british bands from 1978. The sound varies so it really is a post-modern genre.
American bands in my opion can't pull of that moody look so well as they look too soft.

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2005, 10:49 pm

when i saw "post punk" i thought you were going to be talking about bands that aren't really punk bands, but dress like it and shop at hot topic.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2005, 4:30 am

No that is Pop-Punk. In other words, Greenday and Blink 182 etc.
Post-Punk, is like the second wave of bands after punk that were influenced by Punk but didn't really stick to the punk ethos.
For instance must Post-punk bands are much more varied than the three chord thrash of punk.

Elk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2005, 9:07 pm

the exploited, the vandals, operation ivy, rancid, swingin' utters, pennywise 8)

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2005, 11:47 pm

what about Authority Zero? one of my favorite bands, btw.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 1:53 am

Elk wrote:
the exploited, the vandals, operation ivy, rancid, swingin' utters, pennywise 8)

The Exploited and the Vandals were Hardcore, OpIV was East Bay HC. and the Swingin' Utters and Pennywise were 90's Commercial Punk.

As somebody who was in the scene when this music was still vital ('80-'88 ) I think most of the stuff that came out in the 90's was complete shite, and wonder why kids still flock to it in this day and age.Can't they do anything more original than try to relive something that was dying before they were even born?!?!?!?!? --and don't even THINK of mentioning Emo!! !! !!

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2005, 3:36 am

emo originated as "emotional hardcore" from the 80s.

oops.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2005, 4:16 am

I know, but it's just a group of whiney, middle class, teenagers who cry because their dad won't buy a car for them, or they can't into the pants of some girl at school.
Post-Punk, is typically less abrasive than punk. It strikes me as a much more insular movement than punk, as it spilt in to factions.
You can take the musical ecleticism of bands such as The Fall, New Order, and The Cure as prime examples.
There has been a revival in all that is post-punk with bands such as The Futerheads and Franzferdinand.
I insist that you purchase the following albums if your interested in how these bands sound like they do; Joydivision 'Unknown Pleasures', Orange Juice 'The Glasgow School', The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry', and The Talking Heads 'Fear of Music'.
I'm pretty sure most would agree these are fundamental examples of this genre.
As I've probable said this was pretty much a British movement.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 4:37 am

Relyt wrote:
emo originated as "emotional hardcore" from the 80s.

oops.

Yeah.... I'll get back to you later. YOU!! !! :lol:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 4:53 am

ramsamsam wrote:
I know, but it's just a group of whiney, middle class, teenagers who cry because their dad won't buy a car for them, or they can't into the pants of some girl at school.
Post-Punk, is typically less abrasive than punk. It strikes me as a much more insular movement than punk, as it spilt in to factions.
You can take the musical ecleticism of bands such as The Fall, New Order, and The Cure as prime examples.
There has been a revival in all that is post-punk with bands such as The Futerheads and Franzferdinand.
I insist that you purchase the following albums if your interested in how these bands sound like they do; Joydivision 'Unknown Pleasures', Orange Juice 'The Glasgow School', The Cure 'Boys Don't Cry', and The Talking Heads 'Fear of Music'.
I'm pretty sure most would agree these are fundamental examples of this genre.
As I've probable said this was pretty much a British movement.

The British 'Post Punk' scene was pretty much that, but the American answer was usually more inclined to experiment a bit more, and as a result were more 'Art Damaged'. Bands like Smegma and Pere Ubu, (who actually predate the '77 punk explosion) as well as Monitor, Chrome, Half Japanese, the Bush Tetras, Butthole Surfers, Mission of Burma, and Sonic Youth spring to mind.

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:02 pm

Yep. Including lots of obscure stuff that would take me a long time to list. Back in my teenage years I'd go to House Of Guitars in my neighborhood -- really legendary music and record store in Rochester New York -- and there would be tons of old punk and post-punk records for dirt cheap. I still have some of those records and I'll bet most of them are rare by now...