UK: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THE NATIONAL AUTISTIC SOCIETY?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2008, 5:51 am

I want the right support at the right time, i.e post diagnostic support as soon as one is diagnosed giving free support such as one's rights. Everyone has had a different experience. I have a degree and postgraduate qualification , most of the time I am under employed or un employed. I am changing my direction. Prospects do not do a good job for high skilled, highly intelligent people including those with high level qualifications. They seem to think all people on the autistic spectrum are the same. They seem to plasce people in any job regardless of qualifications. It is easier if you are London based because there is more opportunities but out of a big city there are fewer opportunities, going to London requires time, money and effort. A lot of graduates with asperger syndrome are unemployed or underemployed. I think 20%-25% are in full time employment, maybe 10% max of the total are using their skills and qualifications. I need a high paid job to live and fulfil my potential. I was undiagnosed with AS when I was in education. If one has few qualification there is loads of support but what about for graduates with AS , especially living outside London, diagnosed as an adult, with AS only marginal? Einstein, Newton, probably had AS they did well.

stripey wrote:
Advice for adults with AS wanting education, job training, careers, e.t.c.

Many AS adults just did enough to get through school, as many were undiagnosed and left school with minimal qualifications. So people with AS went into menial jobs when they are capable of far more, this is a huge problem.

At the moment unless you are unemployed there is no help available.

harry_j_83
Raven
Raven

Location: not-quite-so-royal london borough of lewisham (aka "da ghetto")

18 Mar 2010, 10:58 am

yeah aladdin 78 this is exactly how i feel about prospects. what scares me know is the knowledge that the only one who can help me (to gain the wisdom of the world if work) is myself. but on another level (and you may or not agree with me onthis) is that it feels great once things get sorted out by ones self. so in a way, if they can't help with what i need, at least i don't need to trek all the way from brockley to highbury every friday.

yeah i just can't personally see that them telling "i must smile at customers" is quite going to get "the ol' foot in the door" with the category of work i'm looking for (media, arts where social skills are key)

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2010, 1:02 pm

i have tried calling the NAS helpline for some advice many times and the line is either engaged or the receptionist will tell me to call back cos there's no one available to take my call. maybe it'll be useful if i could visit the london centre and speak to someone face to face. i didn;'t even know NAS have a centre in ladbroke grove.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:11 pm

HoxtonPaul wrote:
My name is Paul Wady, and I just got promoted to being a Social Groups facilitator in the Nas's new Ladbroke Grove centre, where I will be working 3 days a week.

I am Autistic. I want to know, what do we all want in a day centre? I am going to use drama and my own experiences to train teenage Aspies and Auties in social skills. Take people out in the field and orientate. Talk about our lives, how to deal with the outside world.

I married one. I am one. I've been in social groups since 2005. I teach meditation to the Kanner crew in The Acton Centre of the Nas. So tell me, what would you like the Nas to do in Ladbroke Grove? I will bloody try and do it.

If I cannot teach things I will try and find people who can. We need unique training in skills Nt's are born with and pick up in no time. We never do. Until now.

I have a 3rd job too, working 2 days in the Policy department. So you tell me and it goes in there too. (Policy are, er, the Policy department of the Nas. Nerve centre.)

So contact me. [email protected].

So there.

I don't have much to say on that, but I wish you the best of luck, I fully support the NAS! :)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 3:33 pm

I used to have the NAS people coming into my school, I don't know if I actually recognise you? Because I do remember a guy called Paul coming one time and that was back when I was at "Spa School" and some other people there.... I forgot that woman's name but she was Italian I think?

In my opinion, they are not so bad compared to Autism Speaks which they should ACTUALLY let someone speak for themselves instead of speaking for them and that is truly unfair, but what I've noticed is they actually give out this Autistic Card which was thoughtful, I remember getting one of those.

It was pretty interesting, I even went to the courtyard criminal justice place with my class about it about a kid with autism and how they would of dealt with it.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 7:29 am

I am not in the UK, but if there was a resource anywhere near me: I was diagnosed in my mid-forties. I have very little idea what other people with Asperger's are like, for instance where am I on the spectrum? I do not know much about what my specific deficits are and what Asperger's deficits in general are. I would like somewhere safe to discuss this. Maybe to meet other adults with Asperger's either socially or in group therapy (e.g. anxiety management), and certainly to meet facilitators who are familiar with Asperger's. The psychiatric department I have attended is very helpful, but it is a general psychiatric department.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 11:01 am

superboyian wrote:
I used to have the NAS people coming into my school, I don't know if I actually recognise you? Because I do remember a guy called Paul coming one time and that was back when I was at "Spa School" and some other people there.... I forgot that woman's name but she was Italian I think?

In my opinion, they are not so bad compared to Autism Speaks which they should ACTUALLY let someone speak for themselves instead of speaking for them and that is truly unfair, but what I've noticed is they actually give out this Autistic Card which was thoughtful, I remember getting one of those.

It was pretty interesting, I even went to the courtyard criminal justice place with my class about it about a kid with autism and how they would of dealt with it.

What did you think of Spa School? I was looking at going there but went to a normal school in the end.

HoxtonPaul
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

HoxtonPaul wrote:
LADYMACBETH - Go see Prospects about getting a job with the Nas. I did, and they got me three in the end. This is one of them. Otherwise, you could go into the Husband support and counselling business? (Hows the dog? You know. Spot?) :lol:

Kingdom of Rats: There is indeed a sensory room, although its for Didi Auties that come on a Saturday. Meltdown spaces aplenty. You just go into one of the small offices, and let the walls have it with the windows closed. (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCK! Oooh, so much better.) :D

Makaton and all that will come if you don't initially find it. We're going to focus the lot here baby. Send me specific critique to [email protected].

DivaD- Baby, its not residential. Sleep here and dont move - if you do you'll set the motion sensors off and the alarms will blow you're ears apart. C'est la vie. :wink:

Advocacy and councelling all here. Prospects workers visit once a week and so far, we have a behavioural therapist coming regularly and the rest of the 'Head crew' will be in attendance and to be booked/seen whenever.

ADULT DROP IN AND SUPPORT. Kiddies and Teenagers too. Everyone. Pensioners too. 8O

I ATTENDED THE CARBON SILICON GIGS HERE IN LADBROKE GROVE AND MET MIKE HEWLETT TWICE - HE WAS GONG'S BASS PLAYER. So much truth there! :roll: 8)

Jenk's wishes will all come true. Just don't smash the joint up, okay?

[email protected].

Hehehe. :twisted: :twisted:

THIS ENTIRE POSTING WAS HACKED. I DID NOT WRITE A LOT OF THIS. I WOULD NEVER SWEAR NOR INCLUDE MY WORK EMAIL. Anyone else had the same experience? Thanks. PW.

HoxtonPaul

22 Aug 2015, 3:41 pm

Sorry I did include my work email, but in the first post I wrote.

Nonetheless the post was hacked. This appeared to have happened to a previous post I actually contacted Alex about to delete. So that is two occasions. You can tell the style is clearly not what someone like me would write.

I also notice everyone just calmly accepted it? Brilliant. Or it was changed after it had been read then forgotten about?

Either way, there is clearly a hacker operating here.

Cheers, PW.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 11:32 pm

As a recently diagnosed HF 58 year old in the North West I would like a non judgemental place to meet others on the scale, and in that place I would like e cigarettes to be allowed, and that any other things that people may need to bring with them would be allowed.

In short, an oasis, refuge or temporary asylum from being theraped at or having neurotypical assumptions inflicted. I've been entirely free range for over half a century.

Not counting on any of this happening any time soon.