My mom makes my Asperger's sound like an excuse only

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Or like when you reach for a Slurpee cup and suddenly find a Twinkie in your hand?

Been there. :o

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 5:56 pm

yes that too :) lol

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

They're also called "Senior Moments."

:(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm

true but not when you are not a Senior :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

GNRfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2008, 3:48 am

My parents only recently told me, after i had concluded it myself, it truly upset me that they'd hide such a thing from me, anyway i tell people i have it( only certain people ), and usually they don't believeme , but after i point out certain things then they realize it, perhaps it's more in obvious some people than others but i don't hide it, but its not like i've always been socially "adept" i had a TON of trouble way back as younger kid. but as i like to think "you can't move forward if you keep looking back" . So as a parent it's the biggest and cruelest thing you can do as the one your kid loves more than anything not to adequatly tell your child that they have aspergers as soon as they ask "mommy , how come everyone treats me like im different?" Although you obviously have to dumb down the description to tell them though.

Emen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2008, 4:04 am

If you've only just been diagnosed, at the age of 19, you must have done a pretty good job of acting "normal" and hiding those quirks.
You're probably old enough to decide for yourself whether or not and when -in what situations - you want to reveal your AS. Worthwhile people will stick with you whether you've got AS, MS, PMT or any other goddamn label.

Just wondered, did you yourself feel you needed to supress your quirks and act 'normal', or was that behaviour imposed on you? Also, would you be happier to be more yourself, quirks and all?

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

"Amen" The reason my parents did not notice all my differences and difficulties is because I have a twin brother who I relied on for everything. I would hangout with him and his friends not having any friends of my own, I would rely on him to get me through all social situations, and for many others things. Also, my parents just thought I was just a stubborn kid when I would complain about sounds that were too loud and my dad feels my diagnosis is a "weakness" and not something to explain my differences and difficulties.

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2008, 5:05 pm

I just included my mom in one of my sessions today with my therapist and we talked about this and there was a bit of mixed understanding and also my mom was just a bit stressed and was at first trying to make me more "normal" but she says she likes me the way I am and that she likes me the way I am and that my diagnosis was just alot for her to take in.

Emen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2008, 2:49 am

It sounds like your mom needs time to come to terms with your diagnosis, but that she's getting there.

I hope your diagnosis brings with it some measure of freedom for you. Freedom to be yourself and to be comfortable with who you are, quirks and all, as well as the freedom to 'act normal' when and if you choose to, because it's functional for you, rather than to meet others' expectations.
You now have a reason for for your differences and difficulties and I too, think that you deserve that.

I hope things continue to go well for you.